Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Here is a problem, I can not solve. Would REALLY apreceiate some advice. [PLEASE??] (Page 5)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 11 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Here is a problem, I can not solve. Would REALLY apreceiate some advice. [PLEASE??] by JohnWPB
Started on: 09-02-2014 09:25 PM
Replies: 414 (10278 views)
Last post by: JohnWPB on 02-16-2016 11:52 PM

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2014 04:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JohnWPB:

I started the car, let it get up to temperature for a week, ...

Thats a long time!
IP: Logged

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2014 04:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

43225 posts
Member since May 2007

Originally posted by VikingRedBaron:

I have honestly lost count how many times cars have been towed in for shorted injectors.

Would they all go out at once? If only some went out wouldnt it keep running on a few cylinders?
Alex.07.86GT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2014 05:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex.07.86GTSend a Private Message to Alex.07.86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

As for taking it to a mechanic, can you imagine.

Yea all those $$$$ charges!! :O

There are a lot of people posting and helping in this thread that I trust far more than some mechanic that asks a Pontiac what? When you tell him what kind of car it is

This is TRUE! These guys are "The Experts" for sure!!

I just need to read up and figure out how to test the injectors, if it is even possible when the car is running as good as it is at this particular point in time.

I took my plenum off, I had Injector pulse then took out the fuel injectors to test them 1 by one. I energized the injectors while blowing cleaner fluid through them. Only 3 came back to life so I sent them all out to get professionally cleaned. I should have them back soon. Hopefully I'll be up & running next week!

I had to use a 9v battery and just pumped air into a clamped 3/8 hose full of FI cleaner.|
https://www.youtube.com/wat...cGT31dHWbOongFbDMI7r

How To Test Fuel Injectors
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFv5IWdANGs

rent the NOID LIGHT tool from pepboys, adv auto or autozone for $0.00
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MmR-wXddVw

*** but I would recommend to you to swap out the ECM first! ***

[This message has been edited by Alex.07.86GT (edited 10-03-2014).]

tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2014 05:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Apparently, this ”week” is less than 3 days.

I wonder about the injectors, too. Surely they aren't co-dependent, and it should run (poorly) on fewer cylinders.
Alex.07.86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2014 05:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex.07.86GTSend a Private Message to Alex.07.86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tshark:

Apparently, this ”week” is less than 3 days.

I wonder about the injectors, too. Surely they aren't co-dependent, and it should run (poorly) on fewer cylinders.

but its easier to swap out the ECM first.
VikingRedBaron

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2014 10:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VikingRedBaronSend a Private Message to VikingRedBaronEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When an injector fails, it shuts down the injector drivers in the ECM so the car dies.

I test them with an OHM Meter. A good injector will test "ABOUT" 12 ohms.

When testing them, if they all ohm out the same at "ABOUT" 12 ohms they are all OK.

My guess is one will ohm out at 8-10 ohms. The one that ohms at 8-10 ohms will run, but can shut down the drivers in the ECM.

Remember the ohm reading will change with temperature.
Alex.07.86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2014 10:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex.07.86GTSend a Private Message to Alex.07.86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

When an injector fails, it shuts down the injector drivers in the ECM so the car dies.

I test them with an OHM Meter. A good injector will test "ABOUT" 12 ohms.

When testing them, if they all ohm out the same at "ABOUT" 12 ohms they are all OK.

My guess is one will ohm out at 8-10 ohms. The one that ohms at 8-10 ohms will run, but can shut down the drivers in the ECM.

Remember the ohm reading will change with temperature.

IS THIS TRUE???

Doesnt that depend on the brand or FI. Mine all Ohm'd to 18.6. they are factory originals & getting cleaned now.

[This message has been edited by Alex.07.86GT (edited 10-03-2014).]

VikingRedBaron

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2014 10:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VikingRedBaronSend a Private Message to VikingRedBaronEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Read the part where it says "ABOUT" again........................

Then read the part where it says they should all ohm the same......................

Then read the part where it says one will be lower....................

Alex.07.86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2014 11:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex.07.86GTSend a Private Message to Alex.07.86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

how does it shut down? is there a circuit beaker or thermal switch in there? Im just trying to understand what the ECM is doing when it gets a shorted or open injector.
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2014 02:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Q9 and Q10 are the injector drivers

http://www.exatorq.com/ludi...d1/1227170sheet6.gif

http://www.exatorq.com/ludi...cs.html#1227170.html

Also remember the ECM grounds the injector wire - it does not supply power to it.

Originally posted by Alex.07.86GT:

how does it shut down? is there a circuit beaker or thermal switch in there? Im just trying to understand what the ECM is doing when it gets a shorted or open injector.

No circuit breaker or thermal switch.

[This message has been edited by phonedawgz (edited 10-04-2014).]

Alex.07.86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2014 10:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex.07.86GTSend a Private Message to Alex.07.86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by phonedawgz:
Also remember the ECM grounds the injector wire - it does not supply power to it.
No circuit breaker or thermal switch.

if an injector shorts out, how does the ECM circuits deal with it?

Thanks!!
PFF
System Bot
phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2014 11:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If the injector is shorted out and too much power runs through shorted injector and grounds through the ECM injector driver transistor the transistor burns out.

80s technology.

dbober

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2014 12:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dboberSend a Private Message to dboberEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fascinating, so that's why both injector banks are fused, the ECM grounds the injectors. Theoretically then, the fuses should be sufficient to protect the driver's from in the ECM from higher than normal current draw?
phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2014 12:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The power wires running to the injector are fused so the car doesn't burn up if you get a short. The fuse is sized (5A) to be just large enough to be dependable and not blow over the life of the car. Hopefully this would also protect the injector driver transistor but they do also go bad at times. The same amount of current would go through the drivers if they were on the power side of the ground side of the injector wiring.

JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2014 11:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
From the last messages, and reading how the injectors work..... thinking it all through, It would seem to me that this could not be the problem.... I mean if the resistor does overload and burn out, the car would be dead in the water till that was fixed. However the car will randomly start and run perfectly. If anything it would try to run on 3 cylinders with one bank burned out.... right?

Again, not based temperature or run time. At times it will not start after sitting for a couple days, other times it dies when running for a while.

phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2014 12:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Start your engine and let it warm up. Then pull one of the INJ fuses. The engine will continue to run on the remaining 3 cylinders. So yes if one of the injector driver transistors were to go, the engine would still run. It will run rough. It might have problems idling. It might start hard, but it would not die while driving.

Not much chance of both driver transistors failing at the same time.

Even less chance of them failing and then somehow healing themselves.

Also to note - If the injectors were to fail, the tach would still show a response while cranking.
koolgtz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2014 12:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for koolgtzSend a Private Message to koolgtzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Replace your fuel filter. when the car sits the dirt and old filter parts settle ton the bottom. As you drive these part block the filter and starve the engine of fuel until they settle to the bottom again . You'll have this problem until you replace the gas filter.
Alex.07.86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2014 01:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex.07.86GTSend a Private Message to Alex.07.86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

From the last messages, and reading how the injectors work..... thinking it all through, It would seem to me that this could not be the problem.... I mean if the resistor does overload and burn out, the car would be dead in the water till that was fixed. However the car will randomly start and run perfectly. If anything it would try to run on 3 cylinders with one bank burned out.... right?

Again, not based temperature or run time. At times it will not start after sitting for a couple days, other times it dies when running for a while.

you wrote you had spark & fuel pressure. the next thing IMO is either fuel injector issues or timing. Did you check spark at the coil or the cylinders?

can you try to start the car with starting fluid?
JohnWPB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2014 11:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I will try to start the car with starting fluid when this happens again. I started the car a few times yesterday, and twice today. I just tap the key, and it fires right up, idles smoothly at around 1200 RMP, no missing..... just as it should......

The fuel filter was replaced once while working on the car, and then again a couple months back the last time the tank was dropped to check everything. I also cleaned the tank, and replaced all the rubber lines with new fuel rated ones, as mentioned in a previous post in this thread.

Not much I can do I guess till it decides not to start again.
phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2014 06:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PM me your address and I'll send you a new Pink & White coil to ICM cable. I know yours looked like it checked out OK but something, well make that two things have to have troubles in them, and replacing the cable is worth a try. If you want I'll also send you a new solder on 4 pin pigtail for the other ICM connector. Solder it on with a soldering iron and heatshrink the splices. New like this one - but with the correct color wires.

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/M...OSwF1dUMIeb/$_57.JPG

[This message has been edited by phonedawgz (edited 10-08-2014).]

GodSend

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2014 02:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GodSendSend a Private Message to GodSendEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

http://www.harborfreight.co...mp-tester-92699.html

Not to hijack, but I have the same kit and have yet to hook it up. What did you use to attach to the schrader valve as I don't believe that fitting comes in the kit..

PFF
System Bot
JohnWPB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2014 03:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

PM me your address and I'll send you a new Pink & White coil to ICM cable. I know yours looked like it checked out OK but something, well make that two things have to have troubles in them, and replacing the cable is worth a try.

Will do, just let me know how much for it + shipping

The Harbor Freight kit worked as is. I did not have to add anything to it. There is one hose in the kit of the 2, that has the correct end to fit the Fiero. The other end of the hose attaches to the gauge. You do not need any of the fittings / adapters that are in the kit for the Fiero.

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2014 05:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

"imo coils should be replaced every 1-2 yrs. FPR need to be changed 2-3 yrs. "

I agree. Ive had 45 year old cars that had perfectly fine ignition coils. To me thats an item you replace when its broke.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2014 09:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The fuel filter was replaced once while working on the car, and then again a couple months back the last time the tank was dropped to check everything. I also cleaned the tank, and replaced all the rubber lines with new fuel rated ones, as mentioned in a previous post in this thread.

Not much I can do I guess till it decides not to start again.

Just checking, did you replace a pice of rubber hose in the tank at the fuel pump at all? Just want to make sure that if you did the hose was rated as submersible in gasoline.
JohnWPB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2014 03:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, Jason, as I mentioned, probably 3 times in this thread, ALL rubber lines in the tank were replaced with fuel rated, submersible lines
VikingRedBaron

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2014 11:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VikingRedBaronSend a Private Message to VikingRedBaronEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I used an inline spark checker today, and I am getting spark, but it would still not start.

So, It all came down to the fuel pressure, and I was SOOooo hoping that the pressure was non existent or really low. At least I would then know it was just a matter of dropping the tank to fix it. The car does not want to cooperate however, and the fuel pressure is perfect.

So, I have air, fuel, and spark..... THE three things needed for an engine to run, however mine is not running.

John, you have fuel pressure, spark and air.

Question is, is fuel getting through to the cylinders?

sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 218
Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2014 03:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
5 pages and no fix?
Forget prior posts and
Let fix your car

ok when the pump doesnt run, turn the key to on but don't crank it, does the check engine light come on in bulb test?
this shows if the ECM is getting power AND ground.
leave the key in the on postion and shake/wiggle all the wiring harness, mainly the grounds on the head, if there is a short you will here the pump kick on as you break and reconnect the short.

I had this happen once, ground barly came out of the terminal, when it would cool it would start up, get hot or hit a bump and it would die.

in the fuel pressure test does it hold pressure after the pump stops?

if you replaced the distrib, the after market ones have long wires on the pick up coil and they tend to get pintched by the distrib cap, check that the wires are tucked inside of the cap.

Since some times you have no fuel pressure, we can rule out everything else but fuel and fuel control. Forget ign stuff. Yes the ICM fires the injectors, but you would still have fuel presure.

I would say check for exhaust leaks as that will add heat to the engine bay and can cuase vapor lock, not like old school vapor lock but the fuel boils in the lines. IE long drive, quick stop, won't start, wait starts. I don't know if it get hot like here in Vegas, but that happens every summer here. but it you go out and the car has sat overnight and won't start, prob not the case.

Report back and we will go from there.
phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2014 10:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

I agree. Ive had 45 year old cars that had perfectly fine ignition coils. To me thats an item you replace when its broke.

I agree with a points type distributor however since with an electronically controlled coil the secondary voltage can jump back to the primary coil and kill the ICM. We have all seen on here people who have had repeat ICM failures. I think the majority of repeat ICM failures are either from deteriorated insulation in the coil and high resistance in the spark plug wires or bad pick up coils with intermittent troubles. I think the heat related failures are not nearly as prevalent as generally assumed on here. This link does talk about DIS but the same problem with secondary voltage reaching the primary that happens with DIS happens on Fiero ignition systems - http://www.wellsve.com/vide...gnitiontraining.html

if you replaced the distrib, the after market ones have long wires on the pick up coil and they tend to get pintched by the distrib cap, check that the wires are tucked inside of the cap.

Yes and it can show up as an intermittent. Also you can have this if you only replaced the ICM. They put wires on them that are longer to make sure they are long enough but they don't realize what happens.

The one on the right has the problem.

This is what I did on mine to make sure the wires didn't make it to the edge. I untanged one of the wires and removed it from the connector, then twisted the wires, and then reinserted it into the connector.

Since some times you have no fuel pressure, we can rule out everything else but fuel and fuel control. Forget ign stuff. Yes the ICM fires the injectors, but you would still have fuel presure.

You will get the first key on 2 sec of fuel pump running but you won't get the additional running during cranking without ignition pulses.

With a bypass fuel pressure regulator like the Fiero has and a properly operating fuel pump, if the fuel in the lines did boil and become vapor the vapor would be pushed back into the tank once the key is turned on.

[This message has been edited by phonedawgz (edited 10-08-2014).]

sardonyx247

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2014 01:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

With a bypass fuel pressure regulator like the Fiero has and a properly operating fuel pump, if the fuel in the lines did boil and become vapor the vapor would be pushed back into the tank once the key is turned on.

LMAO, you would think so, but no. I deal with this every summer here on multiple Fieros.

Well you think you have a handle on this so, I'll just step back, good luck.
JohnWPB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2014 11:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sardonyx247:

Well you think you have a handle on this so, I'll just step back, good luck.

No no no no.... there will be NO stepping back! Not till this is fixed. This is a trouble shooting thread, so please feel free to come up with ideas. Also expect that some of those ideas will be shot down. That is all part of trouble shooting, eliminating things till a solution is found (hopefully! ! !)

I will wait till the new ICM <-> coil wire arrives, (Thanks phonedawgz!) and I get everything soldered together. I will also try to change the pickup coil, and inspect the distributor to see what shape it and the bearings are in. I am flying Andrew (1984WhiteSE) down from Minneapolis the 8th of November to help me on the car, and he is far more of a mechanic than I am! It will be a working vacation for him A couple days on the car, a few at the beach and touring South Florida.

Tests from the past few posts:

- Yes, the check engine light does come on in bulb test when the key is turned on. When the car starts, the light goes out, and no trouble codes are in the computer.

- The fuel pressure peaks at about 45psi as shown above. When I let it sit for a while, it drops to around 30 psi and remains there for quite a while... greater than 10 minutes or so. If needed I can time it

- Original distributor, and the wires are in great shape, no pinches, or broken wire casing.

- I do have an exhaust leak, on the front (towards the back of the car). Though remotely possible, I doubt is it boiling fuel in the lines from that.

sardonyx247

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2014 03:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

No no no no.... there will be NO stepping back!

No, I'm good, you got someone flying in, I was going to offer that. (and I would have brought all the parts needed to damn neer rebuild the engine/Fiero)
And the post whore of the forum says he's got it. He always has the most obscure answers instead of the most common answers.
So yeah I am steping back.

BTW did you ever test one ICM to confirm it was bad? The whole thread says "you have a bad ICM"
(not that I work on more Fieros that most people see in there lifetime)
Sorry a bit jadded
PFF
System Bot
JohnWPB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2014 05:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

No, I'm good, you got someone flying in, I was going to offer that. (and I would have brought all the parts needed to damn neer rebuild the engine/Fiero)
And the post whore of the forum says he's got it. He always has the most obscure answers instead of the most common answers.
So yeah I am steping back.

BTW did you ever test one ICM to confirm it was bad? The whole thread says "you have a bad ICM"
(not that I work on more Fieros that most people see in there lifetime)
Sorry a bit jadded

No, I have no way of testing the ICM's here, nor do the part stores that I go to have the equipment, as I have asked.

I am at the point that I am seriously doubting that it is an ICM. When the car started doing this some time ago, I agree, it screamed ICM. When I replaced it, it was a couple days before the car started again. Then again it acted up, and I put the old ICM in, and the car ran fine. This time when it quit, I purchased a brand new Made in the USA ICM, and installed it, and the car would not start. I am willing to bet that I probably have 3 working ICM's here.

Andrew was originally coming down to help me redo all the bushings and suspension on the car. Now I am hoping that he will be able to help me figure this problem out. I am just at the end of my rope here trying to find the problem. The real kick in the butt is that right now it is running great. I can walk out there and just tap the key and it will start. With it running this good, no trouble codes, and while running, wiggling EVERY wire, connector, & plug that I can find, it continues to run.... How the hell do you trace the problem down?!

It has done this 3 times in the past now, running great and I think it is fixed. It is then at some random point, the car quits and gets towed home. There were 2 instances, that after the car sat for a half hour to an hour it did restart and I did not have to get it towed. Before you think it is something to do with heating up, there have been days and days that the car would not start, and one day it just does.
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2014 07:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

And the post whore of the forum says he's got it.

Sorry a bit jadded

Nice!
Tell us how you really feel!
Don't hold back!

Alex.07.86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2014 01:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex.07.86GTSend a Private Message to Alex.07.86GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
the only thing we dont know is if there is FI pulse when it doesnt start.

...and how is the ERG valve. if it is stuck open the car may not start.

did you ever try to start it with starting fluid?

[This message has been edited by Alex.07.86GT (edited 10-09-2014).]

JohnWPB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2014 02:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Alex.07.86GT:

the only thing we dont know is if there is FI pulse when it doesnt start.

...and how is the ERG valve. if it is stuck open the car may not start.

did you ever try to start it with starting fluid?

I have no idea the condition of the EGR Valve honestly.... as for starting with starting fluid, that is on the list of things to do the next time it will not start.

koolgtz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2014 11:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for koolgtzSend a Private Message to koolgtzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Have you check the crank position sensor. Your car would start fine but would shut off without warning. No codes. Restarts fine again. Runs great for a while then it would happens again.
JohnWPB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2014 01:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by koolgtz:

Have you check the crank position sensor. Your car would start fine but would shut off without warning. No codes. Restarts fine again. Runs great for a while then it would happens again.

No I haven't checked it. Is there a way that I can check it?

phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2014 02:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There is no crank position sensor on the 2.8 in a Fiero. Only the distributor mounted pick up coil.
JohnWPB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2014 12:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

There is no crank position sensor on the 2.8 in a Fiero. Only the distributor mounted pick up coil.

Well in that case, I know it is not the Crank sensor. One thing I can definitively mark off of the list

koolgtz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2014 07:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for koolgtzSend a Private Message to koolgtzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I haven't used that motor in a long time. I currently have a 3.8. sorry for the bad info.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 11 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock