How or what 3800 sc by pgold
Started on: 08-25-2014 09:45 PM
Replies: 5 (234 views)
Last post by: Dennis LaGrua on 08-27-2014 10:40 AM
pgold

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2014 09:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pgoldSend a Private Message to pgoldEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey guys I'm thinking about doing a 3800 SC swap into my 88 GT.
My question is , has anyone done this swap using the automatic transmission from the 3800? I would like to keep the car automatic for the comfort of the drive. also will the axels from the 3800 fit into the Fiero wheel assembly with no modification. Im sure i can re do the motor mounts. Im thinking about buying a car with this motor and removing everything needed like computer and wiring harness. will i have everything i need to do the swap if i just buy the whole car or is there many modifications that i will have to pay for ? I have been reading many of the posts on this swap but still so many questions. Im very good with fabrication and feel that this is something i can do. i don't want to buy a engine that i have never seen run. i want to drive the car and check to see it passes emissions test before i buy it for a swap.
I have had to many problems with my 2.8 running poorly and want something dependable that i don't have to fix all the time.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
katatak

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2014 09:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Lots of 3800SC swaps out there using the mated auto. No the 3800 Axles will not work or at least all the pieces and parts of the 3800 SC axles. Do a search for 3800 SC Axles - there are a lot of threads out there discussing the multiple way's to go. There are also a few folks here that will build you a set of axles. The biggest hurdle - at least for me - was the wiring. Again, there are a few folks here that will build you a plug and play harness. If you have great wiring skills, go for it - if not, pay the money and buy one ready to go. Motor mounts can be fabbed and or purchased. Exhaust can be a challenge. There are many many ways to build the exhaust. It's really up to you and your fab skills / wallet depth. Good luck on your swap.
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2014 02:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
95%+ of the 3800 SC AT swaps use the automatic transmission that came with the 3800 SC engine. 4T60E for 96 4T65E-HD for 97+
pgold

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2014 07:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pgoldSend a Private Message to pgoldEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok so would if help to simplify the install to just pull the whole wiring harness out of the car and use it. Im sure i can rewire it into the ignition and re locate it into the fiero .
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2014 07:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It is a whole lot easier to rework the 3800 engine harness to plug into the Fiero body harness. Yes you have to tear it fully apart and reassemble it to work for the Fiero. It is much much easier to do that rather than to replace the entire harness in the entire vehicle.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2014 10:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pgold:

Ok so would if help to simplify the install to just pull the whole wiring harness out of the car and use it. Im sure i can rewire it into the ignition and re locate it into the fiero .

I've tried this approach once and feel that it is not the best way to go. You end up with two power centers (fuse boxes) and a harness that is easy to get operative, works, but doesn't look anywhere as neat as it should. The best way is to go wire by wire with a custom swap harness. If you don't feel up to the job check out one of the suppliers that are on this forum. Although I can do the job, I'll get my next harness from Phonedawgz. Timm is already set up for harness making and can build a better harness in half the time.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock