Started on: 08-10-2014 11:22 PM
Replies: 15 (515 views)
Last post by: 85 SE VIN 9 on 08-31-2014 08:57 PM
ltlfrari

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2014 11:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks like the source of my squeal from hell is the alternator so I need a new one, All rock auto has is remans. Only new ones seem to be duralast from autozone.

So, Are there no new gm alts or do I have to go reman and if so, recommendations?

------------------
Anything I might say is probably worth what you paid for it, so treat it accordingly!

Dave

www.ltlfrari.com

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Jason88Notchie

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2014 11:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I so feel your pain on this. My alt is fine but alignment has something to be desired.
concorde01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2014 11:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for concorde01Send a Private Message to concorde01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My 84 has a 120amp one wire on it
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2014 08:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by tshark (edited 09-08-2018).]

RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2014 08:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got a new Bosch from a local independent shop a few years ago.
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2014 08:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I bought one on amazon.com

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2014 08:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Oreillys has new AC delco for an 88 on their website says call for availability.

Napa has two listed for 1986
Part Number: NNE 1N4350, 78 Amp
Part Number: NNE 1N4356, 94 amp, with AC
(Bosch) Part Number: BSH AL533N, 78 amp
(Bosch) Part Number: BSH AL559N, 94 amp, with AC
http://www.napaonline.com/C...060%202060010/Nao-10

Napa new listed for 1988
Part Number: NNE 1N4508, 85 amp
Part Number: NNE 1N4521F, 100 amp with AC
(Bosch) Part Number: BSH AL650N, 100 amp
(Bosch) Part Number: BSH AL654N, 100 amp
http://www.napaonline.com/C...060%202060010/Nao-10
stickboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2014 02:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for stickboySend a Private Message to stickboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I bought a new Bosch alternator a few months ago from Advance Auto with a LLT Warranty. Amazon had the same one, but I never did find out if it had the same warranty.
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2014 03:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
BTW, I bought a "Qualty Built" unit (new) from amazon and it worked perfectly. I upgraded to the '88 version. Less than $70 shipped, I think.
raysr11

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2014 02:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for raysr11Send a Private Message to raysr11Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by concorde01:

My 84 has a 120amp one wire on it

Where did you find a 120 amp?

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2014 02:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any of these fit? I have this brand on my 72 Buick and its lasted 8 years so far.

http://www.tuffstuffperform.../mode=cat/cat277.htm

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 08-13-2014).]

PFF
System Bot
ericjon262

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post08-14-2014 08:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
back in pensacola, I would have a local shop (B&M starter and alternator) rebuild my alternators and starters for a little less then the cost of a new one. they could also make modifications for higher current loads. customer service was great, and the finished product worked great.
Playindirty1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2014 03:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Playindirty1Send a Private Message to Playindirty1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Oreily has duralast life times for 70. My 2.8 has burned one in six years. Took it back and they had a new one for me the next day no charge. late 86 GT BTW with plenty of love
ltlfrari

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2014 02:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I went with a Bosch cd 130 type from Rock Auto. I figured if I was replacing it I may as well upgrade it anyway. We'll see how well it works out once it gets here (adapter plug from ebay arrived today).

------------------
Anything I might say is probably worth what you paid for it, so treat it accordingly!

Dave

www.ltlfrari.com

ltlfrari

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2014 05:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I cut the old plug off the harness, soldered on the new one and plugged it all in. Works great!.
I did have to swap the pulley over though on the alt because even though the Bosch one comes with a ribbed pulled it is for a 6 rib belt and my car has a 5 rib belt.

------------------

Dave

www.ltlfrari.com

85 SE VIN 9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2014 08:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85 SE VIN 9Send a Private Message to 85 SE VIN 9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've spent lots of time in the last few days on this issue. My 85 GT is overcharging at highway speeds and lagging at idle with AC on. There is a lot of rust on the battery tray side. The plug is loose and a ham-handed mechanic overtightened all the belts. He also broke the alternator bracket. It seems like a good time to replace the alternator, but the Ogre's site makes a good case for upgrading to the 88 CS130.

The chains seem to have them, but not in stock. Amazon has some cheap ones, but look at the shipping information: "Usually ships in one to three months." If you read the descriptions carefully it sounds like 'new' alternators are mostly remans with new parts.

Because I'm not returning the same alternator I want one that has no core charge. One would assume that would be a pretty good way to screen out remans as well.

I ended up with the Bosch. I think the part number is ALN650.

The three wire plug in the write up seems to be phasing out in favor of a four wire. It seems to be the same plug with one more wire to tie off. The three wire one happens to be part of the rockauto 'wholesaler closeout' email you may have received if you search for parts for 88's. BTW there are lots of listings for the old style two wire plug for the 88's, but if you look at the pictures of the CS alternators they use the new weathertite plug. Also BTW, on rockauto there is lots of good info attached to the Bosch ALN650 (where you click "info"). It includes detailed pin out info and a lengthy newsletter writeup.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock