Started on: 08-10-2014 08:29 PM
Replies: 9 (480 views)
Last post by: JohnWPB on 08-11-2014 04:57 PM
JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2014 08:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am looking for a steering wheel, with radio controls and such, that will pretty much fit onto the stock Fieros column, with little to no modification. I have no idea if such a creature exists or not. I have done some research, and most of the threads and such I find are customizing MoMo wheels, or other custom wheels.

As far as the electrical side, I have a setup that can be programmed to do anything for each individual button on the steering wheel are pressed. I have neither the skill, nor the machinery to make major alterations to the steering column or to do any welding, thus why I am looking for a pretty much "plug and play" solution.

Again, I have no clue if such a steering wheel exists or not, thus the request for help

Any help, ideas or suggestions is greatly appreciated!

------------------

High Quality Fiero Reproduction Stickers are Available in THIS THREAD IN THE MALL.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
notwohorns

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2014 09:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for notwohornsSend a Private Message to notwohornsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't know of a steering wheel with radio controls that is plug and play. Besides that you would need a "clock spring" installed. I used a 99 Grand Am steering wheel with radio controls but I had to change the upper steering shaft in the column because the splines are different. Then I installed a clock spring so I do have controls to the radio. Not to hard to do but you do need a little knowledge of the column.
mmeyer86gt/gtp

Feedback score:    (161)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 73
Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2014 10:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mmeyer86gt/gtpSend a Private Message to mmeyer86gt/gtpEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i have one from an 94 bonneville / firebird installed and works great!
PaulJK

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2014 01:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Actually i have a few firebird radio-control steering wheels in storage if you need one. I think i have blue, black and gray. Been meaning to put them on eBay but haven't got around to it . PM me if you're interested. i can also help you get through the install - it's not too bad.

The firebird wheel is thicker and larger than the fiero, so it's easier to turn too - like 1/2 power steering .

The controls light up at night IIRC which is pretty cool. You can also use a universal PAC controller to make it work with any head unit (if the head unit uses an IR remote control).

[This message has been edited by PaulJK (edited 08-11-2014).]

JohnWPB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2014 02:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by PaulJK:

Actually i have a few firebird radio-control steering wheels in storage if you need one. I think i have blue, black and gray. Been meaning to put them on eBay but haven't got around to it . PM me if you're interested. i can also help you get through the install - it's not too bad.

The firebird wheel is thicker and larger than the fiero, so it's easier to turn too - like 1/2 power steering .

The controls light up at night IIRC which is pretty cool. You can also use a universal PAC controller to make it work with any head unit (if the head unit uses an IR remote control).

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

1) Blue Steering Wheel
2) Not to hard to do
3) back lit controls (As I am doing with all switches in the car already)
4) Heavier / thicker and larger... I HATE skimpy feeling steering wheels!

Let's suffice to say, you have my FULL attention! ! ! ! So.... yes, I am highly interested. I would like to see pictures of the blue one, if it matches my interior great, if not, the black one would do just fine. If you give me the years of the wheels, I can Google and save you having to provide pictures.

As for the PAC, I am using a custom controller board that interfaces with my CarPC. I can assign any button to any function on the CarPC. Volume, Tracks, Toggle screen brightness, switch from Slacker / Pandora / MP3 ect ect. Doing a little research, it seems the Firebird has a green wire for illumination, and the Blue one is the control that I would send to the CarPC.

Just in case you are not actively monitoring this thread, you now also have a PM

[This message has been edited by JohnWPB (edited 08-11-2014).]

PaulJK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2014 03:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cool. I'll get over to storage tomorrow and get a few pics
JohnWPB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2014 03:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by PaulJK:

Cool. I'll get over to storage tomorrow and get a few pics

Please do not head over there on just my account! I got the photo you sent:

Sorry to say, that is not really the style I was looking to go with. I was looking for something a bit more modern, as well as being able to use thumbs to use the buttons. Having to take you hand off the wheel, then press a button with you finger to me defeats the purpose of steering wheel controls I am grateful for the suggestion, and taking time to send me pictures and all. So many thanks.

You did get me going down the correct path though, so thank you again!! While I was waiting to see the Firebird steering wheels you had, I started doing a few Google Image Searches for Firebird Steering Wheels. I turned up this one I really liked the look of:

Then after a bit more searching based on that find, I turned up a thread where jscott1 posted a picture of his interior with that steering wheel above installed:

I sent him a PM to ask a few questions on the difficulty of installing it, and if adapters are needed ect ect.

Hopefully not too much is involved in installing this wheel...........
PaulJK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2014 04:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Glad to help . Jon would be a good one to ask - i'm not sure if he has the steering controls hooked up or not.

I started thinking and remembered one that RickaddyGT has in his car. The build thread is here; steering wheel description on the lower part of page 1

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum3/HTML/000114.html

Whatever you get, just make sure you get all the parts that go into the steering column to make the connections to the buttons .
JohnWPB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2014 04:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Oh WOW! That is one SEXY looking steering wheel! I never thought I would find myself saying those words LOL!

Thanks Again! ! ! !
JohnWPB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2014 04:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

JohnWPB

5182 posts
Member since May 2009
Ok, I am gonna give this a try..... I just purchased this steering wheel from eBay for $40:

Inspired by Rickady88GT's steering wheel above, and in this post, I am going to attempt something similar to what he did, with the steering wheel I purchased.

He used some green foam to fill in the area of the steering wheel:

And then covered it with fiberglass to create the custom cover.

I hope I can pull it all together! Thanks much for all the help!
I will continue the progress in my build thread.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock