WING PLUGS by RPYRAZOO
Started on: 08-08-2014 09:57 PM
Replies: 7 (299 views)
Last post by: 85 SE VIN 9 on 08-11-2014 07:35 PM
RPYRAZOO

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2014 09:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RPYRAZOOClick Here to visit RPYRAZOO's HomePageSend a Private Message to RPYRAZOOEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm thinking of removing the factory GT wing on my '87 just for the sake of a temporary change, but first I have to locate some kind of leak proof "plug" to fill the four holes. Any ideas?
Thanks again,
Rich
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2014 10:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't know the stock size hole drilled in the decklid but you can use any cap plug with silicone on the back to cover the hole. The cap plug snaps in place for a tight fit but you should measure the drilled hole first. Here is an example:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.h...kw=hole+plugs&_frs=1
fireboss

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2014 10:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for firebossSend a Private Message to firebossEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I bought some push in plastic plugs from Lowes (there in the bins in hardware) applied a little silicone and painted them before pushing into the holes and called it a day...
RPYRAZOO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2014 09:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RPYRAZOOClick Here to visit RPYRAZOO's HomePageSend a Private Message to RPYRAZOOEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks. FINALLY, something easy that I don't have to have someone else do for me as a result of me being "un-mechanical".
Fiero84Freak

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2014 09:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
One thing you'll need to be aware of is the decklid in it's factory setup with a spoiler has a higher tension rate on the tension springs holding the decklid up than do decklids without a spoiler. What this means is that if the tension springs have never been removed or modified and you remove the spoiler on your decklid, it can make it where it will open with much more force each time you open your decklid. I would also disable the decklid release if your car was equipped with it and not use it (you can find the connector for it near the passenger side decklid hinge).
RPYRAZOO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2014 06:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RPYRAZOOClick Here to visit RPYRAZOO's HomePageSend a Private Message to RPYRAZOOEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the heads-up concerning the dash button. I now have Rodney's 80lb. lid strut and didn't even consider the damage that the trunk release button would cause if used---which I do constantly-----Good lookin' out.
Rich
By the way, do you know where I can find the rubber wing seals? The FS used to sell the factor wing and the seals, but it appears they no longer carry those items. I figure I'll need them when/if I put the wing back on.
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2014 06:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was just at NAPA this morning looking for some J nuts, Clip nuts, WTF ever they are called. Anyway on the same rack they had all the plugs of any kind you could want, including the expanding rubber ones I have told people about before that we use to put in the roof rack holes from the factory when we shipped them to the dealers as we didn't put the roof racks on the station wagons at the factory.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

85 SE VIN 9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2014 07:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85 SE VIN 9Send a Private Message to 85 SE VIN 9Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero84Freak:

One thing you'll need to be aware of is the decklid in it's factory setup with a spoiler has a higher tension rate on the tension springs holding the decklid up than do decklids without a spoiler. What this means is that if the tension springs have never been removed or modified and you remove the spoiler on your decklid, it can make it where it will open with much more force each time you open your decklid. I would also disable the decklid release if your car was equipped with it and not use it (you can find the connector for it near the passenger side decklid hinge).

So you're saying if I remove the spoiler not only will I have a dry trunk and a clear view behind, but the lid might stay up without the stick? Thanks for the warning!

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock