Iron duke dripping oil on the exhaust mainifold by superbub112
Started on: 05-20-2014 11:09 AM
Replies: 16 (438 views)
Last post by: 2.5 on 05-22-2014 08:55 AM
superbub112

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2014 11:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for superbub112Send a Private Message to superbub112Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've just recently taken my '84 fiero with a 2.5L ironduke out for a quick spin. I maybe traveled half a mile before I decided to return home. That's when is notice a little bit of smoke escaping from the rear vent. It's normal for the motor to smoke a little bit. Not safe, but normal for my specific fiero. After this small cruise, however, there was a lot of smoke. I've replaced the gasket for the valve cover a while back, so why is this happening? Thanks in advance.

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

Sorry for the large image.

------------------
-Dr. superbub112

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2014 12:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What kind of valve cover gasket do you have on it, I was having trouble with mine leaking until I got the most expensive fel pro reinforced rubber gasket rubber gasket. That stopped my leaks.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2014 12:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to the Forum!

What does that image show? If you have located the drip, then you know where the oil is. Over tightening the valve cover bolts will sometimes cause a leak.
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2014 01:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have battled this... I finally used a rubberized cork with metal insert as the gasket (Victor) and added high-tack sealant from permatex (if I remember correctly). That worked the best (and longest).
superbub112

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2014 01:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for superbub112Send a Private Message to superbub112Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

What kind of valve cover gasket do you have on it, I was having trouble with mine leaking until I got the most expensive fel pro reinforced rubber gasket rubber gasket. That stopped my leaks.

The gasket I used is part #52776 on the fierostore. It's made of cork.

What does that image show? If you have located the drip, then you know where the oil is. Over tightening the valve cover bolts will sometimes cause a leak.

That image shows the valve cover as well as where the exhaust manifold attaches to the motor. The side of the engine closest to the cabin. Also, how tight should the bolts be on the valve cover?
superbub112

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2014 01:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for superbub112Send a Private Message to superbub112Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

superbub112

4 posts
Member since May 2014
Jaskispyder, that's pretty much what I did aside from the metal inserts. What are those?
jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2014 01:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Oh, I used metal spacers on top to spread the load. Now that I think of it... I also used studs instead of bolts and used loc-tite on the nuts, so I didn't have to torque them down much. Check the valve cover flange to see if it is bent. I also let it "cure" overnight before running it.
superbub112

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2014 01:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for superbub112Send a Private Message to superbub112Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the help, everyone! I'll try a few things and see if something works.
TopNotch

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2014 02:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The best gasket for stock duke valve covers is the Fel-Pro PermaDryPlus® type. It is made of blue silicone rubber molded onto a steel carrier. It works best when installed dry (surfaces cleaned of oil, and no sealer).
jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2014 02:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TopNotch:

The best gasket for stock duke valve covers is the Fel-Pro PermaDryPlus® type. It is made of blue silicone rubber molded onto a steel carrier. It works best when installed dry (surfaces cleaned of oil, and no sealer).

Cool! I wish this was around "back in the day"... Stamped valve covers = lame

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2014 02:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I dont use cork gaskets anymore they seem to leak most. Also pay attention as to not over torque the bolts when installing as gaskets can squish out of place and stamped cover can warp.
PFF
System Bot
jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2014 02:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

I dont use cork gaskets anymore they seem to leak most. Also pay attention as to not over torque the bolts when installing as gaskets can squish out of place and stamped cover can warp.

Yup, cork gaskets are the pits.... I know I tried rubber gaskets and cork and then then rubberized/cork/steel one and that worked for me. But Felpro has done a good job coming up with solution gaskets, so I don't see why it wouldn't work, if installed properly.
hercimer01

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2014 02:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had a heck of a time getting my leaks all fixed.
My valve cover flange was bent on the ends, once I got that straight I used Permatex high tack w/cork too. And lots of Permatex Right Stuff Gasket maker.

------------------
Project Genisis Lo Budget 3800SC swap
12.840@104.8 MPH Intense-Racing 1.9 rockers, 3" exhaust, 3.4 pulley, ZZP tune and 18 year old tires.

88 Coupe under construction

88 formula 3.4L 4t60 swap SOLD

Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2014 06:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you haven't driven the car in awhile make sure you also check the blower housing for critter nests and leaves.
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2014 12:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TopNotch:

This is what I used. This mess also contained a cork gasket.

You can see the puddle of oil at the center of the manifold where it was leaking. It was smoking enough that it might have had enough oil to catch fire.

If you can find a tube of PermaTex red Gasket Maker and apply it to both engine block and valve cover and let it dry after assembly, you can often get a cork gasket to work without leaking. Use the load spreaders on the bolts, whichever gasket you use.
jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2014 12:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Gasket Maker also works, as I have used that on a different engine. I let it cure overnight, just to be sure.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2014 08:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The pain for me was removing the EGR, that one bolt seems to only have room for something like 1/8th of a turn or less at a time, and cant get a universal joint in there.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock