Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Oil gauge pegs as far as it can before car even starts?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Oil gauge pegs as far as it can before car even starts? by agfracing
Started on: 05-16-2014 12:00 AM
Replies: 4 (548 views)
Last post by: agfracing on 05-16-2014 11:15 AM
agfracing

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2014 12:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for agfracingSend a Private Message to agfracingEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So first post. Howdy everyone. Been on here a while just never made an account.
Anyways. My 86 fiero gt that I'm restoring back to driveable has an issue with the oil gauge. The car has sat for like six years and I'm working on getting the motor rolling again. The oil gauge however has me worried. As soon as I turn the key. the needle goes as far right as it possibly could. I read about oil gauges and the issues they had a not earlier but I just saw where they stopped working. I even tried a second stock gauge and it did the same thing.
Any ideas?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
NetCam

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2014 12:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NetCamClick Here to visit NetCam's HomePageSend a Private Message to NetCamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I wouldn't worry too much about where the gauge is until you start the engine. Those dials will do some strange things before they actually get a signal.

Here's a picture of me driving 30 KPH @ 2,000 RPM with no steering wheel going for a brick wall

phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2014 12:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Key on engine off ground the middle pin of the oil pressure sender. Does the needle move to zero? If so your oil pressure sender is bad. Make sure you get the correct replacement.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2014 09:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have an 86 as well, a 2m4. The oil pressure guage needle quickly wobbles between about 40 and 70 when idling, is there a filter for that?
agfracing

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2014 11:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for agfracingSend a Private Message to agfracingEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So Last night i got the engine to start, It sounded a little "tight" But i figured it was from sitting. The oil gauge stayed Pegged and I was a little worried about now knowing if the motor had oil pressure but i let it run for maybe fifteen to twenty seconds. There was a sort of pop sound and now the motor is pinging. Sounds like a valve hitting a piston maybe.... Good thing I have a spare motor sitting from the 86 fiero i crushed a few days ago... Guess i know what I'm doing tonight.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock