Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Anyone ever had any success in painting one of these....

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Anyone ever had any success in painting one of these.... by Gokart
Started on: 05-11-2014 05:25 AM
Replies: 25 (1034 views)
Last post by: 2.5 on 07-08-2014 09:24 AM
Gokart

Feedback score:    (50)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2014 05:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GokartSend a Private Message to GokartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I think it's called the windshield wiper cowl? Doesn't look bad in pic but I'm tempted to paint it with special plastic spray paint. I just don't want to do it and then regret it later if it starts peeling off or doesn't adhere everywhere like I've seen happen when painting plastics like this.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
rogergarrison

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2014 06:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ive painted them with just satin black Krylon and no problems. Good cleaning first.
Gokart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2014 07:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GokartSend a Private Message to GokartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

Ive painted them with just satin black Krylon and no problems. Good cleaning first.

Awesome! It'll look nice with a fresh cost of paint.
Thanks Roger!
FIEROPHREK

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 137
Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2014 07:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROPHREKSend a Private Message to FIEROPHREKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Clean the heck out of it and use krylon fusion brand paints that are for use on plastics. I painted my flight deck cranial and the paint worked great.

------------------

ARCHIES JUNK IS FASTER THAN SHAUNNA'S JUNK

12.3 is faster than a 13.2

1MohrFiero

Feedback score:    (37)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2014 08:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1MohrFieroSend a Private Message to 1MohrFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

Ditto. Just clean it well. Adhesion primer seems to work well. It has lasted many years through many washings.

------------------

jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2014 10:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yup, painted without an issue. Just used a good brand of spray paint.
fierosound

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2014 11:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yup - painted them on my cars.

Clean the hell out of it. Krylon for plastic is your best bet, - no sanding or primer base coat needed.

------------------
Calgary time/temp

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT Click me
Super Duty 4 Indy #163 Click me

hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2014 01:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Krylon spray paint in semigloss also worked for me.

Nelson
Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2014 02:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As everyone pointed out, CLEAN ! then wipe it down with "Grease and wax remover". Fusion works best, spray it WET so you don't leave stripes or swirls.
Gokart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2014 05:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GokartSend a Private Message to GokartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks and ratings for all!
Wish I could twice for those I gave one already years ago

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2014 10:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wont "back to black" or something like it work on that instead of paint?
PFF
System Bot
Gokart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2014 10:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GokartSend a Private Message to GokartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

How long would those products last though. I'd rather take a chance and paint it and have it looking good a very long time!
Gokart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2014 07:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GokartSend a Private Message to GokartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Should've taken your advice.
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/069618.html
Maybe the abomination was because of the brand? It was Rust-o-leum plastic paint. Should've used the Krylon? Just thought I should put it out there.... prep was good with bad results

IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2014 08:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As Mike pointed out in the other thread, Pisa makes a fiberglass replacement:
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/067738.html
Gokart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2014 08:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GokartSend a Private Message to GokartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

As Mike pointed out in the other thread, Pisa makes a fiberglass replacement:
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/067738.html

Thanks! Very nice but pricey!! I'll see if I can get a good used one first.
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2014 09:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Back in the day, I used Bumper and Trim satin black paint. Never had an issue.
lateFormula

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2014 11:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lateFormulaSend a Private Message to lateFormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Read your linked post. You should not have used a pressure washer or denatured alcohol on that part. Dove soap really? I would have used a dishwashing soap like Dawn or Palmolive, no solvents. Let it dry indoors not out in the direct sunlight. When it is dry soak the part with spray can silicone (do this with the cowl panel off the car). Spray a heavy coating on both sides of it. Give it time to soak into the surface of the plastic. Re-spray it with silicone and the second time around wipe it down before the carrier evaporates.

Provided your cleaning was effective, this will make the part look like new.
Gokart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2014 04:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GokartSend a Private Message to GokartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by lateFormula:

Read your linked post. You should not have used a pressure washer or denatured alcohol on that part. Dove soap really? I would have used a dishwashing soap like Dawn or Palmolive, no solvents. Let it dry indoors not out in the direct sunlight. When it is dry soak the part with spray can silicone (do this with the cowl panel off the car). Spray a heavy coating on both sides of it. Give it time to soak into the surface of the plastic. Re-spray it with silicone and the second time around wipe it down before the carrier evaporates.

Provided your cleaning was effective, this will make the part look like new.

No...not Dove. It was Dawn dishwashing soap! Got them mixed up (had a few beers last night!)
I treated this part like any other body panel and had success in the past...but this part is different. I'll try your silicone treatment when I find a replacement.
Thanks, Marc

Boostdreamer

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2014 08:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BoostdreamerSend a Private Message to BoostdreamerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My plans for parts like that are to polish them. Haven't done any yet so no results or tips to post. Just another idea to out out there.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2014 10:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If the part has had armor all or tire shine or another vinyl or rubber protectant applied alot in the past it may be hard to get clean and degreased enough for paint to stick and last?
Gokart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2014 11:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GokartSend a Private Message to GokartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

If the part has had armor all or tire shine or another vinyl or rubber protectant applied alot in the past it may be hard to get clean and degreased enough for paint to stick and last?

It likely did. That's why I thought washing it with Dawn and then pressure washing it after was a good idea?!
Maybe it was cleaning it with denatured alcohol that wasn't such a good idea before I painted. The alcohol was evaporated but maybe left a chemical behind that mixed with the paint causing the issue?

[This message has been edited by Gokart (edited 07-07-2014).]

PFF
System Bot
lateFormula

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2014 01:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lateFormulaSend a Private Message to lateFormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just a few points to add...

Denatured alcohol is fine and good for use on brand new plastic pieces. Plastic that is fresh has a skin which for most grades of plastics (especially those used in automotive applications) will be chemical resistant. But in this case the part is at least 26 years old and has been exposed to the environment all that time. The combination of UV, heat cycling in the summer months, and interaction with naturally occurring ozone is what destroys old plastic. Over time and interaction with the environmental factors the skin of the plastic degrades which will significantly affect the chemical resistance of the plastic. I believe that the combination of the denatured alcohol and the pressure washing is what pitted the surface of your cowl.
Gokart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2014 07:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GokartSend a Private Message to GokartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by lateFormula:

Just a few points to add...

Denatured alcohol is fine and good for use on brand new plastic pieces. Plastic that is fresh has a skin which for most grades of plastics (especially those used in automotive applications) will be chemical resistant. But in this case the part is at least 26 years old and has been exposed to the environment all that time. The combination of UV, heat cycling in the summer months, and interaction with naturally occurring ozone is what destroys old plastic. Over time and interaction with the environmental factors the skin of the plastic degrades which will significantly affect the chemical resistance of the plastic. I believe that the combination of the denatured alcohol and the pressure washing is what pitted the surface of your cowl.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge. I could've avoided the embarrassment of destroying this cowl but felt I had to share my experience so others will have better luck! I believe your theory regarding the old plastic. I think it was just the denatured alcohol that sabotaged my painting. I had the gun far away and the highest nozzle (40) and it was a quick rinse. When I was done there was absolutely no pitting. It was still very smooth.
hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2014 08:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just hand washed my cowl, dried it, and used Krylon Fusion paint on it. That was about three years ago and it still looks very good (done on a 87 Mera show car).

Nelson
Gokart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2014 05:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GokartSend a Private Message to GokartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hnthomps:

I just hand washed my cowl, dried it, and used Krylon Fusion paint on it. That was about three years ago and it still looks very good (done on a 87 Mera show car).

Nelson

I wish I would've used that Krylon brand. I thought Rustolem paint for plastic would've been just as good but I'm curious if my results would've been different!?!

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2014 09:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have had good luck with anything Rustoleum, they are as good as Krylon IMO.
I use "rubbing alcohol" on pretty much every material before painting and havent had an issue with that either.
But I havent painted a Fiero cowl.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock