What is the paint code ? by Lou6t4gto
Started on: 05-10-2014 07:29 PM
Replies: 24 (1090 views)
Last post by: Lou6t4gto on 05-16-2014 02:00 PM
Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2014 07:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
1987 Fiero GT. need the factory paint code for the metallic burgundy (dk red), I'm going from Gold to the burgundy and don't Have a code to give them in the paint store. Thanks.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Old Lar

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2014 10:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Med red metallic code 77
Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2014 02:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Funny, that code comes up as BOTH" Med red met" and "Dark red met". I definitely want the Medium, or " closer to" 1962 Chevy "Honduras Maroon", Not a Dark red. thanks
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2014 04:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My color books dont even show the GM 2 digit numbers they used to use. The WA number is what paint stores use these days for exactly the reason you got. The books also dont specify different models (like Fiero). So I cant help. Someone with the color you want needs to look on their RPO tag and give you the WA number. Its at the bottom of the tag listed as WA-XXXX (followed by 4 numbers), and sometimes abreviations like BBCT/CLRCT
fierogtlt1

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2014 04:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogtlt1Send a Private Message to fierogtlt1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Here ya go..

[This message has been edited by fierogtlt1 (edited 05-11-2014).]

css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2014 05:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

Someone with the color you want needs to look on their RPO tag and give you the WA number.

Just checked mine; WA-9077 is correct (same as "77"). Old Lar's is the same color.

Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2014 07:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks, that's what I needed. (the WA #) I've had colors mixed before and they weren't right.t The color for my cutlass was Supposed to be Mixed (1966 Chevelle- Marina Blue) but when they mixed it, it came out blue/gray because the Same" code" was used for the Corvette as Nassau Blue.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2014 09:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yep, dont use the 2 digit GM number as you will run into multiple colors with same all the time....always use the WA XXXX Fisher body number and it wont be wrong.
notaguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2014 05:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for notaguruClick Here to visit notaguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to notaguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Where ON THE CAR is the paint code printed?

THX
Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2014 07:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It is on the driver's side fender well on the service parts option tag. Many tags get lost or painted over.
notaguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2014 08:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for notaguruClick Here to visit notaguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to notaguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Excellent - WA-8774
Now I know that under all that deterioration, dirt, and sunwhitened clearcoat, my car is BRIGHT RED.

Thanks
PFF
System Bot
Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2014 01:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm headed to the paint store in about an Hour. (now 1:10 est). Was there ONLY 1 Red Metalic color in 1987 ?? I'm seeing a few pictures of red metallic Fieros, different shades, dark, med , light.... Want to make sure I get the right one. I Had a "Never been Painted" '87 red metallic a few years ago, I want to make sure I get the right one. Is the WA9077 the ONLY correct one ? Can anyone Post a Picture of one in that Color please ? at $180. a Gal, I only want to do it once. Thanks
Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2014 02:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Lou6t4gto

8436 posts
Member since May 2008
The Cars all" torn down" to the frame, Frame & all panels washed (in and out) . (Color Change) Amazing that the "Unibody" frame / doors, etc are still semi gloss black, no rust whatsoever ! Gotta Love "Southern Cars" ! Well , Off to the Paint Store.
css9450

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2014 02:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Lou6t4gto:

I'm headed to the paint store in about an Hour. (now 1:10 est). Was there ONLY 1 Red Metalic color in 1987 ?? I'm seeing a few pictures of red metallic Fieros, different shades, dark, med , light.... Want to make sure I get the right one. I Had a "Never been Painted" '87 red metallic a few years ago, I want to make sure I get the right one. Is the WA9077 the ONLY correct one ? Can anyone Post a Picture of one in that Color please ? at $180. a Gal, I only want to do it once. Thanks

Just the one medium red. In 1987, they didn't offer the "regular" red so they introduced Medium Red Metallic instead. It wound up being the most numerous color in 1987 by more than 2 to 1 over the next most popular color. Here is one example:

Here's another one. Same color, but a different camera:

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

Medium Red Metallic returned for 1988 but it was far outnumbered by the regular bright red.

[This message has been edited by css9450 (edited 05-13-2014).]

RJS525

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2014 03:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RJS525Click Here to visit RJS525's HomePageSend a Private Message to RJS525Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's it on a 1987. I just verified it on the sticker - WA9077

Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2014 03:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just drove 10 miles to the paint store. I Called yesterday to get a price, $163 a gallon, when I asked for it when I got there, $245 ! (and of course No One could say WHO it was that quoted me the price ! ) So, now I have to order it "Online".
Why is it, lately, no matter where you go, or what you want done, No One Is capable of doing their job" Correctly" ? Grrr
Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2014 03:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Lou6t4gto

8436 posts
Member since May 2008
The picture of the car in the "Boneyard" looks like "what I remember". the coupe looks way too light. I guess I really need to go to the NEW car Lots and get a code off a new car. Thanks
css9450

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2014 04:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Lou6t4gto:

the coupe looks way too light.

Might be just a function of the lighting conditions and/or the camera rendition, or how the paint has oxidized (or not... That coupe looks pretty fresh!).

My own car (an '88) has fresh (2009) WA-9077 paint and it is much more "vibrant" than the junkyard cars. It also varies a lot depending on what camera I use.

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

Hope this helps more than confuses!

Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2014 04:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Now see, the paint on YOUR car looks much more like it. Yes much shinier, but the Same "SHADE". May depend on WHO mixed it, AND , Did They MIX UP all their Mixing Colors, before they Mixed the paint ?!
I was in the auto paint business and I've seen SO many placed NOT Mix their "mixing colors" every time BEFORE making a color. The Metalic sins to the bottom and if you Don't Mix them EVERY Time, they will NEVER match a color again. every color they make will be "OFF".
(Goes back to what I previously said about "Why can't they do it right")
RJS525

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2014 04:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RJS525Click Here to visit RJS525's HomePageSend a Private Message to RJS525Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The picture of my notchback was the lighting. Here is another shot at of mine without the sun glare at cars & coffee recently.

css9450

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2014 04:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RJS525:

The picture of my notchback was the lighting. Here is another shot at of mine without the sun glare at cars & coffee recently.

Looks good!

PFF
System Bot
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2014 06:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
NEVER trust what a color looks like in a picture...or worse on a computer screen. If all else fails...and it may be too old now...is call a GM dealership parts department and give them the VIN number. They will have the exact color code for that specific number...dont just take the name...get the WA number. I do it all the time on cars that have lost their code sticker. Again, it may be too old for them to have records though. Good luck.

Tip....auto paint stores, like most other stores, are NOT customer friendly these days. They think that there a convenience for you, not the other way around. They dont realize you can get your stuff somewhere else but they have to have you as a customer to stay in business. That being said, when you deal with anyone on the phone write down their name.
Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2014 02:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just ordered a gallon from SOUTH EAST_Paints in Georgia (they advertise on Ebay). I called the guy, they Supply Paint shops, very friendly. Said he will mix up a Gallon of Nason Base, WA9077 and Fed Ex it to me TODAY for a total of $173. I'll post after I receive it.
Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2014 01:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, he "mixed it, shipped it, & it's in a Fed Ex truck on it's way" ! Yay !
Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2014 02:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, Now I've got my Paint ! (That was pretty Quick). SAVED $65 on Just the Gallon of BASE ! I think I will be doing More business with South East Paints ! Thank You Travis.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock