Problem with deck lid alignment by Lou and Blue
Started on: 05-04-2014 07:03 PM
Replies: 12 (502 views)
Last post by: fierogtx on 05-06-2014 01:34 AM
Lou and Blue

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2014 07:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou and BlueSend a Private Message to Lou and BlueEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My deck lid is higher up on the drivers side than the pass side, maybe this is why the trunk is leaking. It is very noticeable and the little rubber nub is all the way screwed in on the drivers side so its not that. The deck lid cannot screw down lower into the hinge bracket it's right on the lip. Can the hinge itself be adjusted down? The difference is obvious when looking at where the deck lid meets the heat vents on either side.
Thanks. I wish I could post pics here to show,this issue better.

------------------
===Always trying to find time to work on cars===
Louis Duet
Baldwin, Long Island, NY
Where driving hard is SOP.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Blue" <= '85 Fiero GT
Stock V6---Stock everything. Trying to keep it 'mostly' that way.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Boo" <= '81 Delorean DMC-12
The "DuetLorean"
VIN #5835
Stock PRV engine
Robertson Equipped
Neiland/Delman Engineered
Carbed and loving it! (Peugot 604 manifold) ---"Sorry purists"

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Bloozberry

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2014 07:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The hinges can be shifted downward on the hinge mounts attached to the firewall. Take the grill off, then get someone to hold the deck lid down near the rear window before loosening the two nuts on the hinge mount. The torsion rods will want to pop the deck lid even higher if you don't have someone holding it down. Once the nuts are loose, push the deck lid down even further until it's at the height you want it, hold it there and tighten the nuts.
Lou and Blue

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2014 07:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou and BlueSend a Private Message to Lou and BlueEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok I will check that out and try it! Thanks !
Can you email me any pics for landmarks?
Oh also , are there visible springs on the hinge rods? My rod arms have no tension at all and I have to lift the decklid up. People seem to say it supposed to pop up by itself .
Thank you for your help and your help on a previous topic!
Louis

------------------
Louis Duet
Baldwin, Long Island, NY
"Blue" <= '85 Fiero GT
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The "DuetLorean"
VIN #5835
Stock PRV engine
Robertson Equipped

Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2014 08:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here's where the hinge mounting nuts are... this is the passenger side mount but the driver's side is the same:

As for how to adjust the spring tension on the torsion rods, it's a bit more complicated but it's been described in several threads before. Rather than me typing it all up, try a search since I know the instructions are out there. Post back here if you can't find them.
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2014 09:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
did you put a spoiler on a deck lid that didn't have one before? that may be your problem with it not popping up. The extra weight is all it takes.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

Lou and Blue

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2014 09:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou and BlueSend a Private Message to Lou and BlueEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't now the car is a GT 85 . When I bought it it had a spoiler on it I know only the pass side has a pin in the hinge.

------------------
Louis Duet
Baldwin, Long Island, NY
"Blue" <= '85 Fiero GT
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The "DuetLorean"
VIN #5835
Stock PRV engine
Robertson Equipped

bjc 350

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2014 09:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bjc 350Send a Private Message to bjc 350Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you have torque rods working on only one side of the decklid, or if the substructure under the decklid has been modified (cut out) , the lid can be twisted by the torque applied by the lift rods. I had a similar problem on my 84 that had the decklid modified, by cutting the substructure, and it twisted the drivers side upward. I reinforced the cut out area under the decklid, but the lid would still twist upward. Had to remove both torque rods and install a Dickman strut assembly on the opposite side of the cut. Now the lid fits correctly, but has to be llifted part way up before being held up by the strut rod. Hope this helps.
fierogtx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2014 10:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogtxSend a Private Message to fierogtxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Lou and Blue:

My deck lid is higher up on the drivers side than the pass side, maybe this is why the trunk is leaking. It is very noticeable and the little rubber nub is all the way screwed in on the drivers side so its not that. The deck lid cannot screw down lower into the hinge bracket it's right on the lip. Can the hinge itself be adjusted down? The difference is obvious when looking at where the deck lid meets the heat vents on either side.
Thanks. I wish I could post pics here to show,this issue better.

i have the same problem and never thinking posting a post about that and want to fix it this summer do you need some force to close it ????? i have a left tail light lens that hase the clip broke and i think it is because of that so do you need some force to close the decklid b????
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2014 11:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Lou and Blue:

I don't now the car is a GT 85 . When I bought it it had a spoiler on it I know only the pass side has a pin in the hinge.

There needs to be a pin on both sides (assuming you still actually have a functioning torsion rod on both sides).

I believe there are three locations for each pin to be inserted, depending on how much tension is required.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 05-04-2014).]

fierogtx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2014 01:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogtxSend a Private Message to fierogtxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by bjc 350:

If you have torque rods working on only one side of the decklid, or if the substructure under the decklid has been modified (cut out) , the lid can be twisted by the torque applied by the lift rods. I had a similar problem on my 84 that had the decklid modified, by cutting the substructure, and it twisted the drivers side upward. I reinforced the cut out area under the decklid, but the lid would still twist upward. Had to remove both torque rods and install a Dickman strut assembly on the opposite side of the cut. Now the lid fits correctly, but has to be llifted part way up before being held up by the strut rod. Hope this helps.

thanks for your reply i take a strap bender and i change the pin location and now the hoop open they will not fall on my head. do you think that the hood will become straight because i have the same problem ( drivers side too high compare to the passenger side ) do you think it will straight the decklid with the same tension on each rod ????? many thanks

[This message has been edited by fierogtx (edited 05-05-2014).]

bjc 350

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2014 03:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bjc 350Send a Private Message to bjc 350Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think if you get the same tension on both rods, you will find the lid will straighten out. But, the hinges do need to be alligned correctly if they are set too high. My hood strength was compromised so much by the cut in the substructure, that even after being reinforced, the torque rods still pushed the drivers side upward. Once I removed them, so the lid had no upward(opening) pressure on it, the lid sat flat. Then I installed Dickman's strut on the opposite side from the cut and the lid stays up and lays flat as well. The side vents can be adjusted up or down to get a nice even fit , once the lid is laying correctly. My issue was on my 84 which may have a weaker engine cover than the later models, because of the full width vent. You can get it right, just takes some fiddleing.
PFF
System Bot
Lou and Blue

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2014 07:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou and BlueSend a Private Message to Lou and BlueEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have the single strut but I have to,lift my deck lid. It stays up but it doesn't pop up by itself when the lock is unlocked.
I won't be able to mess with it until the weekend and if it rains as predicted, that's out. I have no garage.
------------------
Louis Duet
Baldwin, Long Island, NY
"Blue" <= '85 Fiero GT
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The "DuetLorean"
VIN #5835
Stock PRV engine
Robertson Equipped

[This message has been edited by Lou and Blue (edited 05-05-2014).]

fierogtx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2014 01:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogtxSend a Private Message to fierogtxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by bjc 350:

I think if you get the same tension on both rods, you will find the lid will straighten out. But, the hinges do need to be alligned correctly if they are set too high. My hood strength was compromised so much by the cut in the substructure, that even after being reinforced, the torque rods still pushed the drivers side upward. Once I removed them, so the lid had no upward(opening) pressure on it, the lid sat flat. Then I installed Dickman's strut on the opposite side from the cut and the lid stays up and lays flat as well. The side vents can be adjusted up or down to get a nice even fit , once the lid is laying correctly. My issue was on my 84 which may have a weaker engine cover than the later models, because of the full width vent. You can get it right, just takes some fiddleing.

thanks for your help will check the decklid tomorrow to see if the rods do the job thanks again for your help

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock