Trunk won't shut well after new gasket by grkboy707
Started on: 05-03-2014 09:37 PM
Replies: 19 (689 views)
Last post by: rogergarrison on 05-12-2014 05:45 PM
grkboy707

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2014 09:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for grkboy707Send a Private Message to grkboy707Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So my old gasket was torn to shreds, and when I replaced it, the trunk wouldn't close without slamming it very hard. At first I thought if just adjust the latch/Catcher. The trunk then closed, but sat way above where it was supposed to go. I figured id let it go and maybe it would stretch and smoosh. 6 months later, it still did not. I tried adjusting where the hinge attaches to the deck lid, but no good. Has anyone else had this problem with a fiero store store gasket on a GT?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
woodyhere

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2014 12:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for woodyhereSend a Private Message to woodyhereEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I put the Fiero Store gasket in my 87 GT. It is normal for it to be hard to close. I just put pressure slowly on the lid by sitting on the edge. At first it took a lot of pressure but now after a year it just takes a little. If the lid is closed for a long period of time it closes pretty easily. It does seal very well. In another year it will probable close like my old one did.

------------------
woodys 427

fireboss

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2014 12:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for firebossSend a Private Message to firebossEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just a thought but isn't one side like the front or back taller ?
fireboss

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2014 12:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for firebossSend a Private Message to firebossEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fireboss

2248 posts
Member since Apr 2011
Just a thought but isn't one side like the front or back taller ?

On one I purchased from FS it was marked which side was front and back.

[This message has been edited by fireboss (edited 05-04-2014).]

grkboy707

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2014 09:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for grkboy707Send a Private Message to grkboy707Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I didn't notice any markings, but there's a little notch that fits right over the latch catch.

My major concern was breaking the wing stands, again. I can try closing it slowly, or even adjusting it so the lid sits up a little until it flattens out I guess
tesmith66

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2014 09:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are you pushing on the wing to close the decklid? That's a big no-no. I push on the decklid itself under the wing.
infinitewill

Feedback score:    (55)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2014 10:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for infinitewillSend a Private Message to infinitewillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Both TFS and my gaskets have the same problem on occasion depending on the fit and flatness of your body panels and D plates. New foam synthetic materials are a lot more firm than those used years ago. It may take a few days for the seal to take a set. I would stack some weight on top of your decklid over night to help the process along. IIRC TFS is also making their seal out of cheaper vinyl not EPDM but I have not confirmed that.

Dr. W.

------------------
Is your Fastback GT's trunk seal shot? My Gen IV replacement GT trunk seals with miter double bonded corners are now in production. $95 shipped to the US (contact me for international shipping rates) More info can be found here GT Trunk Seal Project

[This message has been edited by infinitewill (edited 05-04-2014).]

grkboy707

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2014 11:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for grkboy707Send a Private Message to grkboy707Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Definitely not pushing down from the wing. And as stated, it's been close to 6 months with no improvement. Maybe I could however try to tighten the latch even more to help smoosh it though. As for the little square lip that follows the shape of the trunk on the decklid, is that supposed to be right on the gasket? I'd assume so since it hits dead center
css9450

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2014 11:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For what its worth, I bought one of the brand-new GM-original gaskets back when the Fiero Store still had them, and it too was had to close the decklid once I installed it. It improved once it had been on the car and kept closed awhile.
woodyhere

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2014 03:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for woodyhereSend a Private Message to woodyhereEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I bought one set from Will and another from the Fiero store. I installed each one to see if there was any difference. They both closed, on my car, with a lot of effort. I left the Fiero Store seal on because I put it on last. I have Will's in a sealed plastic bag for future use if necessary. I chose the Fiero Store one because I was too lazy to switch one or the other and could find no reason to run one instead of the other. Both seem to be very good quality.

------------------
woodys 427

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2014 06:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes its normal for a new installation. In restorations, I have it all the time. I replaced the trunk seal on my Super Bee and had to have 3 people sit on it to shut it. Took a lot to get the doors shut too. After they were installed a week or so and out in the sun, they all worked fine.
PFF
System Bot
fierogt28

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2014 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt28Send a Private Message to fierogt28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Beware of the fact, I replaced my rear GT trunk gasket on my 88GT with a GM original.

The deck-lid wasn't adjusted in front for the new gasket. But once I adjusted
the deck-lid to the same height as the body trim, I had a hard time closing the
deck-lid also. I had to raise up the trunk hinge so it would close easier.
(the hinge inside the trunk)

Once that was adjusted, the deck-lid was easy to close. You still need to apply
pressure to close it because you want it to seal so water won't get in.

You might need to adjust the trunk hinge(up and down) to seal right for a perfect fit.

Trial and error technically...

------------------
fierogt28

88 GT, Loaded, 5-speed.
88 GT, 5-speed. Beechwood interior, All original.

[This message has been edited by fierogt28 (edited 05-04-2014).]

fierogtx

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2014 10:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogtxSend a Private Message to fierogtxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
had the same problem too
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2014 01:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
DONT change any adjustments till you give the seal a week or two to adjust....unless the deck lid was out of alignment before you replaced it. Your just making yourself a lot more work and it wont seal correctly, plus you would have to readjust it right back. Just leave it alone for a few weeks in the sun and it will be fine.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2014 02:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

Just leave it alone for a few weeks in the sun and it will be fine.

In other words, don't replace these seals in the dead of winter (especially up north).
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2014 06:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hopefully, you can use a heated garage. A new seal will conform over time. When it gets older, not so much. If its cold out, engine heat on a Fiero may help quite a bit. But, your probably right about best to wait for warmer weather. Im not talking 90*,.... 60* in the sun would be fine. If you couldnt wait, it would take it longer, maybe a month or two. I still wouldnt be readjusting any body parts if they were ok in the first place. Ive done lots of restorations over the years, and never had one that didnt crush down to fit right after a while.
fieroluke

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2014 08:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierolukeClick Here to visit fieroluke's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierolukeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have the same problem. It's closed so tightly that the trunk release won't work. It clicks, but doesn't release half the time.
I hope it'll get better, but I have other problems (blown engine)...
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2014 05:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, Ive had to push down or have someone else sit on it while I turned the key until it smashed down properly. An electric release would need the same thing.
grkboy707

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2014 08:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for grkboy707Send a Private Message to grkboy707Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Now that the weather is heating up, it seems to be working in a little better. Guess that's what I get for doing it in the middle of winter! Now I'm just waiting for my jacknuts to come in so I can attach the spoiler to the wing stands
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2014 05:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Also, spraying some silicone spray on the rubber seal may help the seal conform faster.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock