Bizarre tracking issue - '86 2M6 by deadwood
Started on: 05-02-2014 02:06 PM
Replies: 6 (133 views)
Last post by: deadwood on 05-02-2014 07:36 PM
deadwood

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2014 02:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for deadwoodSend a Private Message to deadwoodEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bit of a strange issue on my '86 2M6 SE. There are times when my car will try to pull to the right for a bit, then I hear a dull crack from what sounds like the front right wheel area, then its back to tracking straight as normal... Just had alignment done. Still does it. Does need upper ball joints, but I'm not sure that would cause this.

------------------
'86 Fiero SE 2M6
'01 Ford Focus ZX3
'07 Honda Odyssey
'87 Dodge Daytona 2.2L Turbo
'98 Dodge Durango

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
FIEROPHREK

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 137
Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2014 03:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROPHREKSend a Private Message to FIEROPHREKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sounds like you need to jack your car, pull all four wheels and look for loose suspension parts. Also call the service manager where you had it aligned and tell him there is an issue with the car.

------------------

ARCHIES JUNK IS FASTER THAN SHAUNNA'S JUNK

12.3 is faster than a 13.2

deadwood

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2014 03:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for deadwoodSend a Private Message to deadwoodEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It did it before the alignment, was just mentioning it had been done.
Csjag

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2014 04:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I wonder if the cracking sound could be coming from a front wheel bearing?
Ponnari

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2014 04:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PonnariSend a Private Message to PonnariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A total inspection of the front end needs to be done. From my past experience, it could be ball joints, tie rods inner or outer, A arm bushings, sticking brake caliper, rack mount bushings, connections on the steering column to rack, worn out universal joint on the steering column. Sorry I can't narrow this down any farther for you but it could be any number of things.

Block the rear wheels, leave the front wheel on the ground(so they have as much pressure/resistance as possible) and have someone on the inside turn the wheel lock to lock while you look at as much of the above as possible. I know there isn't much room to get underneath but using a flash light you can inspect a lot of the components and see if something suddenly shifts or pops.

Hope this gives some ideas for you.
tesmith66

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2014 05:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Check the upper control arm shaft tubes. One or both may have cracked at the welds. Common problem.

------------------
1986 SE Aero coupe.

3.4 DOHC swap is complete and running, now just have to finish the rest of the car...

deadwood

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2014 07:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for deadwoodSend a Private Message to deadwoodEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank for the tips, will check into.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock