Automatic to 5 speed isuzu transmission swap by Ruffino3124
Started on: 04-27-2014 03:35 AM
Replies: 17 (813 views)
Last post by: Ruffino3124 on 06-22-2014 09:20 AM
Ruffino3124

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2014 03:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Ruffino3124Send a Private Message to Ruffino3124Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have most of the parts to start the swap soon but right now im rebuilding the 2.8 engine i will be posting pictures soon i also wanted to know if someone could help me understand before i jumped into the swap.
1. would i have to change the auto engine harness to the manual harness or just add wires into auto harness
2. fiero 2.8 manual computer ? or auto computer with different prom?
3. p/n switch ?

is this the right way to do this swap
http://www.calgaryfieros.co...mod.tranny-swap.html

please help i would appreciate any type of info that can be given to me to get an idea of how to wire the swap and have the fiero running 5 speed by the summer
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2014 09:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It is as easy to modify the AT harness as it is to swap to a MT harness. At the automatic transmission selector switch - Splice together the two large Yellow and Purple wires. Splice to the Lt. Green/Dk. Blue wires a reverse switch connector. Extend the Yellow and Purple VSS connector wires so they reach the new location of the VSS. Tape and tuck into the harness the remaining two wires from the switch. Also if you want you can remove the 4 prong blue plug for the torque converter lock up.

You should swap to a MT prom. 85 2.8 Fieros use a different computer than 86 - 88. Make sure you get a PROM for the correct version of computer. If you wish you can purchase one from me - http://www.reddevilriver.com/Related_Products.html - It can be with reduced cold idle, EGR Delete or just stock.
Ruffino3124

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2014 10:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Ruffino3124Send a Private Message to Ruffino3124Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you so much for helping me out i also wanted to know the connector that your talking about is it the black plug that the automatic transmission plugs into , and is the lt green and dk blue wires running to that and i know the transmission i have has the connector for reverse would i have to make a sensor to plug into that and run to the shifter? and the yellow and purple wire do i have to run them to the clutch switch on the pedal for neutral safty i think? and before i take my engine out today i left the transmission in neutral but the key in the ignition will not go back to off because of the automatic transmission safty lock how would i take that off?
http://myfiero.oceanmoon.co...60/shift_sw_diag.gif
is this the connector that your talking about and would i do the splicing to the wires that run to it
thanks again for your help
also im rebuilding my 1986 2.8 so if theres anychance that you have the full prom set with the computer
Ruffino.

[This message has been edited by Ruffino3124 (edited 04-27-2014).]

phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2014 12:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Ruffino3124:

Thank you so much for helping me out i also wanted to know the connector that your talking about is it the black plug that the automatic transmission plugs into , and is the lt green and dk blue wires running to that and i know the transmission i have has the connector for reverse

Yes - btw I can sell you the connector for the reverse switch with a tail on it. - $10.00 - paypal to gofast@reddevilriver.com

would i have to make a sensor to plug into that and run to the shifter?

No both Fiero 5 speed transmissions have the reverse switch in the transmission. The 4 speed has it in the shifter

and the yellow and purple wire do i have to run them to the clutch switch on the pedal for neutral safty i think?

You don't have to but you can. I did put it on mine when I went from AT to MT. The fat yellow wire at the switch on the bottom of the steering column (the actual ignition switch) is the one that leads to the starter. To add the switch cut the yellow wire and extend it to the clutch switch.

and before i take my engine out today i left the transmission in neutral but the key in the ignition will not go back to off because of the automatic transmission safty lock how would i take that off?

Take the cable that runs from the steering column to the shifter off and fix it that the cable is kept in the 'Park" position.

http://myfiero.oceanmoon.co...60/shift_sw_diag.gif

is this the connector that your talking about and would i do the splicing to the wires that run to it
thanks again for your help
also im rebuilding my 1986 2.8 so if theres anychance that you have the full prom set with the computer
Ruffino

Yes that is the switch
Yes I have 1227170 computers if needed and I can burn a full prom for it..

[This message has been edited by phonedawgz (edited 04-27-2014).]

FieroJimmy

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2014 12:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroJimmySend a Private Message to FieroJimmyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
On the park lock cable, you can also swap in an ignition switch from a manual car that won't have the cable. I recently stripped a manual car, and I'm planning to swap one of my cars to an auto. I've probably got any other parts you might need, and I'd be willing to swap for some of your removed auto components (pretty much just interior stuff, column, shifter, ign switch, cables etc.).

Let me know if you're interested.
turbo86se

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2014 01:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for turbo86seSend a Private Message to turbo86seEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroJimmy:

On the park lock cable, you can also swap in an ignition switch from a manual car that won't have the cable. I recently stripped a manual car, and I'm planning to swap one of my cars to an auto. I've probably got any other parts you might need, and I'd be willing to swap for some of your removed auto components (pretty much just interior stuff, column, shifter, ign switch, cables etc.).

Let me know if you're interested.

You got a PM!
Ruffino3124

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2014 12:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Ruffino3124Send a Private Message to Ruffino3124Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
phonedawgz : thanks a lot i think i know more about this swap and yeaa im going to need the computers that runs the manual harness with both proms because the computers have two one on the right and on on the left once the panel is opened , the on the left is almost impossible to find. and yeaa im going to send payment in about 2 hours but where would i connect that switch to the harness? i really appreciate your help how would i keep this thred up because im going to have to keep referring back to it.
FieroJimmy : yeaa im interested but would i have to take the whole steering coulmn out but other parts im competely interested because im not going to have any need for the auto parts expecially the automatic transmission
turbo86se :i never recieved your PM
phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2014 02:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The reverse switch on the automatic was part of the automatic switch. So two of those wires are going to be where you will attach the reverse switch connector.

I will include a used reverse switch connector with the ECM.

Use solder and shrink tube on your splices if you want them to last more than a few months.

[This message has been edited by phonedawgz (edited 04-28-2014).]

FieroJimmy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2014 06:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroJimmySend a Private Message to FieroJimmyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

FieroJimmy : yeaa im interested but would i have to take the whole steering coulmn out but other parts im competely interested because im not going to have any need for the auto parts expecially the automatic transmission
turbo86se :i never recieved your PM

Actually turbo86se's pm was to me, and we've pretty much got a deal set, since we're in driving distance, so no shipping. That said, I will have most of a second swap setup available (it's all still in the '87 I'm going to convert), just let me know which parts you'll need and we can work something out. (I'm going to use the 4 t65e-hd with my 3800 so I wasn't interested in the 125. Sorry for the confusion.)

My projects are pretty much all on hold for the moment, as I was awoken to the sound of my truck being totaled outside my bedroom window Friday morning. So I've got to get that replaced before I do much else.
Ruffino3124

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2014 03:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Ruffino3124Send a Private Message to Ruffino3124Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
yeaa np i will let you know once im in the middle of the swap and phonedawgz paypal was sent and thanks for the video , also i wanted to know about the sensor by the clutch pedal so this is not neccesary for the swap also the brake pedal sensor looks different from the automatic should i get this part from the donor car that i was using or will the automatic brake switch work,
http://www.pontiacperforman...SE_Transmission.html
how much is it for the computer and it come with both proms
im hoping the swp is not going to be that bad, i should be starting the project within the next month but i also would like to know if you have any tips on an engine rebuild thanks for you help again.
Ruffino3124

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2014 12:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Ruffino3124Send a Private Message to Ruffino3124Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
hey I was fighting to get the clutch and brake pedal in today I wanted to know if there is any way to assemble then install or would I have to put it bracket by bracket and also does it matter what slave clutch I use with the Isuzu fiero transmission. thanks to anyone who can give a quick tip.
PFF
System Bot
FieroJimmy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2014 05:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroJimmySend a Private Message to FieroJimmyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can install the complete pedal box with pedals as a unit. or you can add the clutch side bracket and reassemble it in the car. I've done it both ways, and I think putting it in complete is easier.

As far as which master to use, the isuzu was installed with both designs, and used the same slave with both. If you've already gotten your hydraulic line you should get the master to match. Otherwise, no it doesn't matter.
Ruffino3124

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2014 08:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Ruffino3124Send a Private Message to Ruffino3124Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
http://i1172.photobucket.co...to-1_zpsed2b9cda.jpg
2.8 engine rebuild in a tight space tell me what you think? thanks.
FieroJimmy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2014 07:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroJimmySend a Private Message to FieroJimmyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

2.8 engine rebuild in a tight space tell me what you think? thanks.

I don't see any problems with very little space. The most important part is cleanliness, and that could get difficult. But as long as you keep the parts that are ready to go back together clean and protected, it should work.
Ruffino3124

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2014 10:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Ruffino3124Send a Private Message to Ruffino3124Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
hey im in the middle of the 2.8L rebuild and ive mostly been cleaning parts and finishing up the heads but i cant seem to imagine how im going to clean to camshaft housing please help me with your ideas on how to clean it because its so narrow , ive tried using carb- cleaner but does not work well Thanks.
KurtAKX

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2014 12:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KurtAKXSend a Private Message to KurtAKXEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroJimmy:

I don't see any problems with very little space. The most important part is cleanliness, and that could get difficult. But as long as you keep the parts that are ready to go back together clean and protected, it should work.

Based on the picture, that's already a cleanliness fail.

You'll have the best luck when you rebuild an engine under the same conditions of cleanliness that you'd use to prepare food.
Would you set a sandwich on the ground?
Would you let dirt blow into your tuna salad?
Ruffino3124

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2014 06:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Ruffino3124Send a Private Message to Ruffino3124Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
thanks but no i would not at all but if your sandwich was already infested with ants would you eat it, you probably would the parts on the floor are no good i purchased a rebuild kit for the 2.8 but thanks for your input and if theres anyone who could possibly help clean the CAMSHAFT HOUSING , not the cams already have many parts from comp cams.
Ruffino3124

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2014 09:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Ruffino3124Send a Private Message to Ruffino3124Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
hey i was working on my fiero close to finishing my rebuild but im having a problem changing the cam bearings in the 2.8L can someone please help me as to how i change them. or is the any page thats shows how to change the bearings in the tight housing please thanks for any responses

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock