Started on: 04-20-2014 09:53 PM
Replies: 6 (162 views)
Last post by: PaulJK on 04-21-2014 10:57 PM
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2014 09:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Small ? to pick your brains with, I found a set of very nice commadora wheels to an actual Ferrari Dino, there a good price but I know the bolt pattern is a little off, is running wheel adaptors for this kind of switch a good idea? Their not going to be seeing much power to them and are not going to be driven on much.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Bloozberry

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2014 10:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wheel adapters are, for the most part, safe. Jaguar and Mercedes Benz use them as stock parts on some of their cars. The problem you'll run into is finding wheel adapters that are thin enough not to space your new wheels out too far. Do you even know what the width and offset are for these wheels? They may already stick out too far even without the adapters.
Fadingaway

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2014 10:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FadingawaySend a Private Message to FadingawayEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have used them, twice now with no issue. I have 5x100-5x120 adapters from eBay that are 25mm thick (one inch) I paid 100$ for. The wheels haven't fell off and my bearings haven't been ground to dust and I drive it every day. The problem in having is wheel wobble my front suspension is 30 years old so it can't handle the change in diameter and offset so I just have them on the rear for now. Camaro rims 16x8 50mm offset with 235-50 fallen ziex 512. This all being said they will not hurt a mechanically sound vehicle in my experience. They wouldn't manufacture something and put their name behind it if they were unsafe, nobody wants a lawsuit.
johnguzman1212

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2014 10:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnguzman1212Send a Private Message to johnguzman1212Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
smallest wheel adapter I can find is 1.25 inch. as long as tires don't rub anything they work. I have 2 sets in front total of 4 inches no problem yet in 4 years. 2 inch in rear no nproblem there I drive my car twice a week. you may hear negative comments but as far as I know there safe.
hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2014 03:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I also have wheel spacers on two 87 Meras with non stock wheels to improve the visual appeal. There are 1.0" spacers on the front and 2.0" spacers on the back. Between those two vehicles and a F308 rebody with similar spacers I have not experienced any problems during the last five years. I do periodically check make certain that the nuts are torqued to the correct value but no real issues there either.

Nelson
katatak

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2014 09:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PK, I had spacers 5X100 to 5X100 hub centric to hub centric on my XTC with the 4.9. They were not adapters to change bolt pattern but I would think it would not matter. It was driven everyday by a teen age boy that thought it was a Ferrari - Never had any issues. In my opinion, they just take a little more maintenance with regular checks to make sure the inner lug nuts are staying tight. Whatever the manufacturer says for torque - follow it. Too tight and the stud could spin in the aluminum. Too loose and the stud could eat out the aluminum. There are several different styles. What I learned is that you want the type where the studs are flush with the back side of the spacer/adapter. Some are counter sunk. I was told by the manufacturer that I bought from (West coast but I can't remember the brand - might be able to search my XT thread and find it) anyway, they told me that they make these for an off road racing team and found that keeping the stud flush aids in "capturing and stabilizing" the stud when the inner lug nuts are properly torqued. If I can't find some nice wheels for my wide body, I will go with spacers / adapters to open up my choices. I don't think you would ever have an issue on a daily driver.

Pat
PaulJK

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2014 10:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pontiackid86:

... the bolt pattern is a little off, is running wheel adaptors for this kind of switch a good idea?

You also need to consider the wheel offset. The adapter might move the wheel outboard, but the offset might put in back inward again - i don't know. i was gonna buy ferrari Momo wheels for mine that fit a miata. they wouldn't fit because they had a massive inboard offset.

[This message has been edited by PaulJK (edited 04-21-2014).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock