An adjustable idle stop? by notaguru
Started on: 04-19-2014 09:36 PM
Replies: 5 (794 views)
Last post by: theogre on 04-20-2014 12:34 AM
notaguru

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2014 09:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for notaguruClick Here to visit notaguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to notaguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
V6 2.8L
That TORX screw definitely DOES affect idle. It seems odd, considering the function of the Idle Air Control. How is it properly set?

Thanks!

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
cmechmann

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2014 10:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cmechmannSend a Private Message to cmechmannEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I won't go into detail on how to adjust these. I would need to pull out some old lit to do so. There are many here that have recently looked it up and will mosy likely respond.

With that said. If it has not been messed with don't screw with it. It is not a idle stop, It is a Throttle blade stop. Because throttle bodies and blades will always have slight differences, this screw is set when the throttle body is manufactured. It is just to keep the blade from binding in the bore. Very early fuel injection systems would use this as a minimum idle air screw. That was before stepper motor idle air control motors were used. Those systems used solenoid type idle controls and were very unreliable. Case in point was the early Caddy fuel injection they used on Olds 350 engines. Anyone who worked on them would remember how bad the cold idle control was. Early Japanese L jetronic used 2 screws(one was capped off) one for the blade stop and the other was a minimum idle air setting.
Without going into a manual I can tell you if you have a TPS lever that has not been bent, you need to have the blade stop set with the TPS voltage under .5 volt. More will normally cause a TPS code. And having too much air pass the blade will cause a IAC code. These due to the ECM not being able to reduce idle by closing the IAC or TPS voltage not returning to an idle reading. If I set these and don't have the specs, I set it as close to fully closed as I can without the throttle blade binding in the bore and I do this with the engine off. I can tell you I have not had to set one unless someone has screwed with it. If you are having an idle problem you need to put it back and look for another problem. One very common problem with bumping up this screw is when it is set too high the ECM sees too much TPS voltage and doesn't try to control idle anymore by running the IAC motor in. Errors with the TPS will also cause the ECM to drive the IAC in and cause the engine to stall.
If you are changing your idle through this screw, you are treating the symptom and not the problem.

[This message has been edited by cmechmann (edited 04-19-2014).]

f85gtron

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2014 11:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for f85gtronSend a Private Message to f85gtronEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can adjust it a couple different ways.
1. Using winaldl, or equivalent, adjust it until the iac steps to around 20-30.
2. Jumper a and b on diagnostic terminal, key on don't start. Wait 30secs, then disconnect iac connector. Remove jumper, then start engine and adjust idle to around 900. Shut off and reconnect iac.

In either case, you may have to set tps to 0% winaldl or around .47volts because you've moved the throttle plate idle position.

These adjustments should not be necessary if no major work has been performed......in a perfect world.
Cleaning the crap out of the iac passages and performing a sea foam Chinese water torture should be performed before messing with the idle.
f85gtron

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2014 11:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for f85gtronSend a Private Message to f85gtronEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

f85gtron

657 posts
Member since Jul 2013
Sorry, multiple posts. My bad.

[This message has been edited by f85gtron (edited 04-19-2014).]

cmechmann

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2014 11:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cmechmannSend a Private Message to cmechmannEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did a little reading (not from GM) but from from a few tuner sites. You will need something to block the IAC passage, set the ECM in service mode, and set idle 100 rpm under what minimum idle control would be warm by what the prom displays as minimum.
example: If connected to a scanner and minimum idle displayed is 600. Different prom will have different minimum idle. Block passage or close IAC and disconnect(so no air passes) with ECM in service mode through scanner or jumping aldl connector and set screw to 500 rpm. Then adjust TPS voltage to idle spec. .45-.55v Reconnect IAC, reset ECM.
But this was also for a 1989 2.8 in a different car.
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2014 12:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
properly set/reset idle stop is See my Cave, Idle Stop

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock