Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  3800 Low Mount Alternator owners... what have you done to keep water off of the alt?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
3800 Low Mount Alternator owners... what have you done to keep water off of the alt? by solotwo
Started on: 04-13-2014 01:36 PM
Replies: 5 (361 views)
Last post by: solotwo on 04-13-2014 07:31 PM
solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2014 01:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have noticed in the year that I have owned this car that when it rains or I wash the car or when ever water is introduced to that area the alt & or belt is noisey. Some times when at a stop and the engine is at idle I see the voltage gauge drops down and I hear it so I put the trans in neutral and rev the engine a little to get it back to charging. The only time it does this is when moisture is introduced to that area. Car does not have the rubber lower splash shields. Snow does not seem to bother it, just liquid precipitation . Anyone else encounter this situation?

Thanks,

Steve W.
Grand Rapids, MI
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2014 05:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How much belt wrap does your alternator pulley have?
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2014 05:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Splash shields do wonders......
We will look at that too.
Start making a list!
solotwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2014 06:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by phonedawgz:

How much belt wrap does your alternator pulley have?

I dont know I will have to go out and take a picture.

Ignore the white stuff. It is comet. I was told by a gentleman that is the manager of a tuffy store that over the years he has found comet works the best for squealing belts. Only problem when it rains it washes the comet away.

[This message has been edited by solotwo (edited 04-13-2014).]

FIEROFLYER

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 180
Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2014 07:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROFLYERSend a Private Message to FIEROFLYEREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Never had this problem before with low mount alternators on either side of the engine so I would think either belt is loose or not perfectly lined up, could also be just a weak alt. Dan
solotwo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2014 07:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I posted a pic. It looks like it wraps around the pulley good.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock