engine/trans swap opinions by ATH87fiero
Started on: 04-07-2014 06:35 PM
Replies: 4 (257 views)
Last post by: ATH87fiero on 04-07-2014 07:20 PM
ATH87fiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2014 06:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ATH87fieroSend a Private Message to ATH87fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have an 87 fastback which came with, what I was TOLD a 4 speed manual trans (did not come with a motor/trans). I am planning on swapping the interior with that of a 97-03 grand prix with 04+ seats for dual power/heat. I will be switching ALL the wiring harnesses with that of the 97-03 grand prix for, which I already have. I want to use a 3800 series 2 supercharged engine, and cant decide what trans to use. I've always wanted a manual, but I know that an automatic would be much more simple in my case (if I'm not mistaken). So, I guess from the research I've done and information I've collected, I have the following results about trans. choices:

4 speed transmissions suck. they cannot handle the amount of hp I plan on achieving one day. These also appear to be near impossible to find in my area.
5 speed izusu transmission are about the same as the 4 speed, in terms of durability. also near impossible to find.

5 speed getrag transmissions are awesome (older models, 282 I believe? correct me if I'm mistaken) <-I would like more info on this in terms of parts needed. I know I will need a machined flywheel and 5 speed shifter. I have yet to notice info on cv joints. These transmissions and parts for them such as the shifter, are near impossible to find.

6 speed g6 f40 transmissions are also awesome, but after finding one, putting a deposit on one, I changed my mind. These need a LOT of custom parts to get to work, and I'm not to confident in this option.

Automatic 4t65eHD from donor car which the motor will come from. How difficult would it be to switch the car from a manual to an automatic? More so than, lets say, a 5 speed swap? What cvs would I use? These transmissions, as well as the engines are a dime a dozen in my area.

Which transmission would be best?

I literally have no one to help with me with any of this; I will be doing this on my own, besides what the internet and info everyone on here are willing to donate to me. So, I thank you in advance and appreciate all the help.
------------------
Building a dream...one bolt at a time.

[This message has been edited by ATH87fiero (edited 04-07-2014).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2014 07:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Manual to Automatic is Easy, AND, rebuilding the 4t65e HD is Also very easy,(Just did one).with the core, and kit, new 4th gear shaft (Always needed), shift kit and new converter, I'm about $500 into a brand new trans ! changing from an auto to a stick is ALOT of work. Just my opinion, been there done that.
ATH87fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2014 07:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ATH87fieroSend a Private Message to ATH87fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Lou6t4gto:

Manual to Automatic is Easy, AND, rebuilding the 4t65e HD is Also very easy,(Just did one).with the core, and kit, new 4th gear shaft (Always needed), shift kit and new converter, I'm about $500 into a brand new trans ! changing from an auto to a stick is ALOT of work. Just my opinion, been there done that.

Thanks!

So, would It be best to switch to auto? Like, look for a motor/trans/haress/pcm package? I can get these all day for $500-$900. If I'm correct, I would need to (in a nutshell) replace the shifter, remove the clutch pedal, and put in a larger brake pedal? Sounds simple enough....I suppose haha what about the cv joints? Would I use the ones from the donor car? Or have to make my own using the innermost cups from 4t65eHD and outer shafts of original fiero cvs?

[This message has been edited by ATH87fiero (edited 04-07-2014).]

phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2014 07:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ATH87fiero:

I will be switching ALL the wiring harnesses with that of the 97-03 grand prix for, which I already have.

Not the best way to go at it. Grand Prix have the engine in the front. Fieros have the engine in the rear.

ATH87fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2014 07:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ATH87fieroSend a Private Message to ATH87fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by phonedawgz:

Not the best way to go at it. Grand Prix have the engine in the front. Fieros have the engine in the rear.

I was thinking this to be my best solution since I want to do a dash/seat upgrade. (please correct me if im wrong) I assume, the more "complete" harnesses I use, the less splicing and rewiring I need to do. I bought a "parts" car so a lot of the wiring has been cut in various places so I think it would be easiest to swap out the entire vehicle wiring and extend the wiring where needed. just need to figure out how to get the headlights to work with the grand prix light switches, as well as taillights.

*note: I have and plan to use a grand prix steering wheel as well.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock