Sequential Tach/Shift LED's - Prototyping by Ravant
Started on: 04-05-2014 12:48 AM
Replies: 3 (218 views)
Last post by: Ravant on 04-06-2014 12:15 PM
Ravant

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2014 12:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RavantSend a Private Message to RavantEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got an itch to do something a bit different. I rather like the F1/LMP car LED strip across the top of the dash for RPM/Shift Light they have. SO! I decided to start prototyping one of my own instead of spending a lot of money on existing units.

So far, I'm just converting voltage from a rotational potentiometer to values via Arduino, and outputting to a breadboard full of LED's for proof-of-concept. Now, what I intend to do next is logic-probe the tach signal coming off my soon-to-be ECU and discover what pulse widths correspond to what RPM. Then I'll pass it through the same code to linearly light the LED's. Last step will be to convert the code to hardware. That said, the number of LED's in the above video aren't set in stone. I intend to buy another 2 LED packs to increase the resolution.

Last thing I'll need to do is fabricate an enclosure and make it look good. I'll probably expand this thread as time goes on, provided it doesn't peter out as I start digging into other aspects of my car as well.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jonathan2014

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2014 10:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jonathan2014Send a Private Message to jonathan2014Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well I like it.

CTFieroGT87

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 59
Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2014 11:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CTFieroGT87Send a Private Message to CTFieroGT87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Definitely like it!
Ravant

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2014 12:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RavantSend a Private Message to RavantEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks. I've decided that these LEDs are too large and am going to be looking for smaller ones. Also need to consider a way to change brightness based on dimmer wheel.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock