Correct transaxle fluid change procedure by Csjag
Started on: 04-02-2014 06:57 AM
Replies: 13 (436 views)
Last post by: fierofool on 11-20-2021 05:27 PM
Csjag

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2014 06:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Per my original 1985 do it yourself manual that came with my car: Remove drain plug on bottom of transaxle to drain, when filling remove check plug on side of case and fill thru the hole with a plastic tube connected to a funnel until fluid is level with the fill hole. I wish I would have read this before taking out the VSS and having to fish the gear out of the transmission.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
tesmith66

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2014 07:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've always done it through the VSS. Didn't even know there was a check plug. That's what the lines on the VSS are for.
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2014 08:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Why take the chance of the gear falling off, I plan on using the fill hole from now on.
Lambo nut

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 262
Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2014 08:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Lambo nutSend a Private Message to Lambo nutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Csjag:

Why take the chance of the gear falling off, I plan on using the fill hole from now on.

I've said this in the past but few listen. ^

Pull bottom plug, let drain, replace plug.
Remove top plug, fill until level is at bottom of plug hole, reinsert plug.
It is a tight space but better then messing with the VSS, especially with the know potential of the gear falling off.

The tool pictured in the third post of this thread makes things go quick and easy.
http://www.benzworld.org/fo...al-fluid-change.html

Kevin
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2014 08:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My Getrag has a side fill hole. But I ALWAYS fill through the dipstick hole.
It's way easier to stick a funnel in it. Pic is from 87 Owner's Manual.

------------------
Calgary time/temp

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT Click me
Super Duty 4 Indy #163 Click me

PatrickTRoof

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2014 10:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickTRoofSend a Private Message to PatrickTRoofEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What is the correct oil to use in the manual transaxle? I have read that 10w30 or straight 30 can be used. Which is preferable?
hiwil88formula

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2014 11:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hiwil88formulaSend a Private Message to hiwil88formulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I use syncromesh in my getrag. It is the recommended fluid for it. Not sure about the Isuzu tho.

Hywel
NW-Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2014 02:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NW-FieroSend a Private Message to NW-FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
1985 Manual says to use 5-30W .... but I just used Valvoline Synchromesh ( designed for General Motors or Chrysler manual transaxles) and will check for leaks when installed next week. The PO used trans fluid ( I drained red fluid out) there were no leaks prior to my engine rebuild but I replaced the 2 output seals while I had it out.

Manual says 3 qts..... mine took 2.6 qts or so

fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2014 02:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The 30-year-old manual recommended 5-30 when the car came out (still fine to use).

Once GM (or someone) developed Synchromesh Manual Transmission Oil, that has been the recommendation since.
They released a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) when the product became available. It's the stuff to use.
See here: http://home.comcast.net/~fierocave/stick.htm

Works great. Many people have found "sticky" transmissions shift much smoother after the changeover.

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 04-02-2014).]

Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2014 03:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think the Isuzu 5-speed used Dexron-III ATF. But I see no reason why you couldn't put Synchromesh in it.

I've been telling people for a long time about the side fill hole. On gearboxes that don't have a "real" dipstick, this is the way to go. You can get a funnel with a flexible spout, or a spout that has a piece of hose attached to it, and the job gets a lot easier. Then you don't have to mess with the VSS.
TOM SUTCLIFFE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2021 08:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TOM SUTCLIFFESend a Private Message to TOM SUTCLIFFEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Exactly where is the transaxle filler hole on a 85 V6 4-speed? I realize that the the VSS is easy enough to get at but if there is a specific filler bolt for that purpose, I'd rather go that route. Is it the bolt next to the VSS? I would think that it should be located at the same height as the VSS but this bolt is actually higher.

[This message has been edited by TOM SUTCLIFFE (edited 11-18-2021).]

PFF
System Bot
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2021 05:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TOM SUTCLIFFE:

Exactly where is the transaxle filler hole on a 85 V6 4-speed? I realize that the the VSS is easy enough to get at but if there is a specific filler bolt for that purpose, I'd rather go that route. Is it the bolt next to the VSS? I would think that it should be located at the same height as the VSS but this bolt is actually higher.

From 84 Do-It-Yourself Manual (auto and 4-speed only that year)

TOM SUTCLIFFE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2021 09:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TOM SUTCLIFFESend a Private Message to TOM SUTCLIFFEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Some images. I ended up pulling the VSS to add the transaxle fluid. Used the GM Syncromesh product. You should be careful because there is an o-ring to seal it in the casing and there is very little clearance for the gear. My fluid was very old but no evidence of any shiny stuff or metal. I will likely drive it a for awhile and change the fluid again.

[This message has been edited by TOM SUTCLIFFE (edited 11-19-2021).]

fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2021 05:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Because there are no clutchpacks to contaminate the manual transmission fluids, it has a very long life. The only thing would be as you note, possible metal pieces from grinding gears.

I noted the plastic piece around the plug. My Getrags have that at the dipstick on top.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock