What is this and why is it steaming? by commodore_dude
Started on: 04-01-2014 02:23 PM
Replies: 11 (395 views)
Last post by: commodore_dude on 04-02-2014 03:32 PM
commodore_dude

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2014 02:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for commodore_dudeSend a Private Message to commodore_dudeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Finally got to drive my Fiero last night for the first time in a couple of months, and when I stopped for gas I noticed some white steam coming out of the driver's side engine vent. Opened the hood and it looked like it was all originating from a gasket in this thing in the center of the photo:

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

Didn't realize how bad the pic was till I got to see it on a larger screen than my cellphone, so apologies there. There appear to be two sets of screws and gaskets in whatever this is - one at the connection to the gold hard line/heat wrap going towards the engine (there was a bit of moisture bubbling at this gasket and where at least 90% of the steam appeared to be coming from), and another slightly farther up towards the plastic portion of it (maybe a little bit of steam coming from here, hard to tell). I couldn't detect any burning smell and there's nothing leaking down on to the rest of the engine or my garage floor. So what is this, and is it something that gaskets commonly fail on?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jpeeler

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2014 02:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jpeelerSend a Private Message to jpeelerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think your referring to the EGR. Common for that tube to be cracked.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2014 05:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The EGR system has no water in it and is all under a vacuum, so nothing should be coming out of it.....do you see any coolant leaks at the throttle body?
tebailey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2014 06:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
From what I can see it looks like it might be a heater hose.
jpeeler

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2014 06:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jpeelerSend a Private Message to jpeelerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:

The EGR system has no water in it and is all under a vacuum, so nothing should be coming out of it.....do you see any coolant leaks at the throttle body?

Mine had a little smoke from there when I had a cracked tube. It went away after I did an EGR delete. I assumed it was just exhaust gasses. It wasn't all the time. Just ever so often I would see it puff up. But I could see the coolant tubes for the throttle body be a problem as well.

[This message has been edited by jpeeler (edited 04-01-2014).]

Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2014 06:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Commodore.

What is your idle speed? and can you do another photo?
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2014 06:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It looks like the area around the base of the EGR valve got wet. After the exhaust gets hot, the moisture will start to boil off. The question is how the moisture got there. Did you wash the car recently? Does the steam smell like antifreeze?
85sliverGT

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2014 06:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85sliverGTSend a Private Message to 85sliverGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2014 07:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
put an arrow on the part you are talking about with ms paint and we could have a better answer for you, cause I see a lot of things there but not steam.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

devildog0692

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2014 08:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for devildog0692Send a Private Message to devildog0692Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
white steam from any vehicle usually indicates a coolant leak somewhere

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2014 08:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Smell coolant?
PFF
System Bot
commodore_dude

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2014 03:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for commodore_dudeSend a Private Message to commodore_dudeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry, I'll take a better picture when I get home tonight and draw on it a bit. I washed the car a couple of weeks ago and then garaged it without driving it long enough to get the engine up to temp, but it seemed a little odd to me that there could still be moisture there. Like I said, no smell at all - just the steam. I doubt I'll be able to actually get the steam in the pic, it's not really thick or anything, but I can certainly highlight the gasket I was talking about.

[This message has been edited by commodore_dude (edited 04-02-2014).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock