distributor cap odd question by maybenot
Started on: 03-24-2014 07:13 PM
Replies: 9 (453 views)
Last post by: dreale on 03-27-2014 04:58 PM
maybenot

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2014 07:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maybenotSend a Private Message to maybenotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
hi guys,
so i ordered some parts for spring tune up time. among these was an accel cap and rotor combo which i had a coupon for from autozone. clerk looked up car-85 v6 and gave me box. written on box was all applications for this one-firebirds etc and 85 v6 fiero was listed. went to swap in, and the metal prongs that plug wires snap to are smaller than my existing cap and the wires wont fit.
could i currently have a different application dist cap ? it is blue with blue rotor if it matters and the new one is brown, no markings, and the rotor did fit ok. how would i find out what fits my wires now?
thanks
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2014 09:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ditch the junk accel cap.....
84fiero123

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2014 12:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by maybenot:
went to swap in, and the metal prongs that plug wires snap to are smaller than my existing cap and the wires wont fit.
thanks

squeeze the metal prongs, or get another cap.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2014 03:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For the 2.8 V6, a cap for a 4.3 liter works great. Shouldn't matter the color, many brands use different colors. I recommend MSD, it is good quality and happens to be red.
I dont know what cap you could have or wires but if they are oddballs, I'd replace the wires too.

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 03-25-2014).]

Knight

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2014 04:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KnightSend a Private Message to KnightEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I agree with 2.5. I have the MSD cap and it works perfectly. Plus it has brass pins and is red. Looks great with red Taylor wires.
maybenot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2014 05:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for maybenotSend a Private Message to maybenotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
thanks guys. i guess i'll get an msd cap. the new rotor fits snug on that should be fine if i get a msd cap right? or do they have to "match" each other?
my wires look in great shape. they are 7mm and say high heat or heat resistant or similar.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2014 08:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The MSD cap I bought came with a rotor.
In your situation its not clear to me if the wires are wrong for the correct cap, or vice versa. Maybe bring your cap or a wire into the store when you go. If you have something else to drive there. Visually check some things.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2014 10:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Does your car have OEM plug wires ? I liked the red cap myself...to match the engine. Id use a rotor from same brand as cap, a tiny difference in gap can affect performance.
maybenot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2014 04:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maybenotSend a Private Message to maybenotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
not sure if oem, they say "high temerature siliconecore with silicone jacket 7mm" they look in great shape. i just never ran into a plug wire not fitting onto a terminal. the wires fit my plugs perfectly. in fact i had to replace 1 wire a while ago as i cut it working on the front exhaust manifold and all i did was bring the cut end into the store to match up the angle of the head. i never noticed different sized ends.
i guess i'll bring a plug wire with me to the store and make sure it matches. can i try to cross refernece the 4.3 from above when they ask for make and engine?
dreale

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2014 04:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for drealeSend a Private Message to drealeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've had good luck with the MSD caps also, and plug wires always fit them. Never heard until now of a distributor cap using different sized metal top posts!

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock