Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Possibilities with a very modest 2.5 engine rebuild and transmission swap?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Possibilities with a very modest 2.5 engine rebuild and transmission swap? by mckaymotoworks
Started on: 03-24-2014 03:15 PM
Replies: 12 (302 views)
Last post by: mckaymotoworks on 03-25-2014 12:45 PM
mckaymotoworks

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2014 03:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mckaymotoworksClick Here to visit mckaymotoworks's HomePageSend a Private Message to mckaymotoworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As I get more involved with the replacing of various components on my 84' SE, the possibility in recouping my investment even this early in the process seems low. So I am planning ahead for the future over the next few years. The suspension is the next item to be completely replaced as well as removing the control arms and everything else to be blasted/replaced/painted.

1. Which leads me to my engine, I would like to rebuild it if I am going this far into the project. What is possible with the 2.5 in terms of very modest power requirements/expectations, like 120-130HP? With the rebuild kit offered by FS 1984 4cyl Rebuild Kit w/pistons, the port matching and a good exhaust is it possible and what are the downsides? Will SD4 parts be the way to accomplish this, if so, which?

2. Which manual would best pair with the above combination?

As I stated, I don't expect nor want high performance. I want my car peppy/spirited and handling well with good reliability/MPG. I do not have the room or time to do a swap and would rather keep the car as close to original as possible.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2014 03:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is perhaps the most common question on the forum.

Feel free to use the search function, as there already are many discussions and answers....the answers are not so much negative as realistic.

http://ironduke7.tripod.com/IronDuke.htm
mckaymotoworks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2014 03:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mckaymotoworksClick Here to visit mckaymotoworks's HomePageSend a Private Message to mckaymotoworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:

This is perhaps the most common question on the forum.

Feel free to use the search function, as there already are many discussions and answers....the answers are not so much negative as realistic.

http://ironduke7.tripod.com/IronDuke.htm

I'm aware of those, but most are expecting significant gains, which is why I was adamant about modest expectations. I also proposed the SD4 bolt on bits as a way to get these modest gains. I have used the very useful Search function quite a bit before asking questions, some are close but none have been "on the money" related to my questions so I thought best to seek further clarification before drawing any final conclusions.

Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2014 03:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
SD parts are hard to find and expensive. If you have the passion, the time, and the wallet, you can get it done.

As for 'modest' gains, this page spells out what is needed as well as anything that I have seen.

http://ironduke7.tripod.com/builtduke.htm
mckaymotoworks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2014 04:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mckaymotoworksClick Here to visit mckaymotoworks's HomePageSend a Private Message to mckaymotoworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yep, read that a few times. The TRW stuff is NLA, was hoping the FS kit would get me close, along with matching the ports, a new exhaust and freshening up every system to like new. The SD4 stuff seems a tad easier to locate than the aforementioned TRW cam and pistons.

Are there alternatives to the TRW parts?

EDIT: I see this cross referenced for the TRW part# Sealed Power High Volume Oil Pump

[This message has been edited by mckaymotoworks (edited 03-24-2014).]

Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2014 06:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got my 85 2M4 last year, it had been parked for 7 years or so. I have it on the road now and I have no idea what the hp is but it is very fun to drive and its responsive and peppy, I have not had the engine apart but here's what I've done: Removed the throttle body and rebuilt it and cleaned it and drilled out the solder on the fuel pressure regulator so I could turn up the fuel pressure a little. Blocked off the egr. Removed the stock cat and placed a high flow unit on. Replaced the stock coil with a high output accel coil and 8 mm accel wires. Removed the manifold baffle. Replaced the tire with 195/70-14 tires for lighter weight and less rolling resistance. Replaced the fuel pump with a new Bosch pump. Replaced the plugs with Halo plugs from LGS Brisk. Now the car sounds good and is very responsive to the throttle and believe it or not it even pulls decently from 40 mph in fourth gear. I have the Isuzu 5 speed. I also have the timing advance a couple of degrees but can still run regular with no pinging. The car is really fun to run thru the gears.
Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2014 07:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I definitely Would NOT rebuild the 84 Block, you will be much better off getting and rebuilding a '85 up block. better rods, better oiling, Roller Cam. 84's were the worst choice.
mckaymotoworks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2014 07:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mckaymotoworksClick Here to visit mckaymotoworks's HomePageSend a Private Message to mckaymotoworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Lou6t4gto:

I definitely Would NOT rebuild the 84 Block, you will be much better off getting and rebuilding a '85 up block. better rods, better oiling, Roller Cam. 84's were the worst choice.

That's a great suggestion as I can rebuild and still drive, gain the later model benefits.
The junk yard I located the Isuzu 5 speed is an 85', hopefully they have the engine as well.
mckaymotoworks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2014 08:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mckaymotoworksClick Here to visit mckaymotoworks's HomePageSend a Private Message to mckaymotoworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

mckaymotoworks

521 posts
Member since Jan 2014
I forgot to mention the engine was swapped in the early 90's I believe, part of the recall. What are the chances it has a later model 2.5?
Are there codes in the block etc to identify it?
solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2014 08:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If it will work I would go with an 87 block, S10 head, grand am intake or I may have it backwards but there are some good threads. If I still had my 88 I was going to the head and intake swap. If you would like I can find the theads and list them.

[This message has been edited by solotwo (edited 03-24-2014).]

Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2014 08:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The biggest impediment in your plan is that the 84 Duke was not intended for performance. The later engines quite rightly are the better choice.

But, any Duke build to get 35 hp is going to cost more than a swap for a more powerful engine. I built up a 2.8 and it cost me more than my 4.9 swap

The other thing is that the 84 transmission is weak. If you can find an 87 with a 5 speed attached it would be a better starting point, if you really want the 4 cylinder as your preference. Good luck with it. It can be fun to build up an engine, but like the man says, your later model Duke is the better platform for your project.

Arn
PFF
System Bot
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2014 10:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
First See my Cave, Duke Quick Ref
Make sure 84 has 84 engine BEFORE ordering parts... Many were replace during recall work.

If 84, get later engine w/ roller cam setup.

4 vs 5 speed stick...
Both are over-driven. (M19 has higher overdrive but 4.10 finals.)
Isuzu has lower 1st
Cave, Gear Ratio

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

mckaymotoworks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2014 12:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mckaymotoworksClick Here to visit mckaymotoworks's HomePageSend a Private Message to mckaymotoworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just spoke with PO, said the father in law believes the engine was replaced at the dealer in 93'. Where can I find casting marks on the engine?
And rod length is the only easy way to determine roller lifters?

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock