Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  rust removel, cheaper alternative to por 15?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
rust removel, cheaper alternative to por 15? by nickbrown
Started on: 03-20-2014 11:22 AM
Replies: 12 (1671 views)
Last post by: solotwo on 03-25-2014 08:09 PM
nickbrown

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-20-2014 11:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nickbrownSend a Private Message to nickbrownEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
would a 3000psi pressure washer remove deep rust, the rear fender supports are rusted away and i want to blast everything under the car, all the grease and remove all rust.

any one know of a cheaper alternative to por 15?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2014 11:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
sandblaster would... water probably won't.

POR works well, but you can buy similar items at your local NAPA, sometimes.
Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2014 02:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
POR 15 is more like a paint. I used it on my front beam once I removed the nose. I sanded and cleaned the surface and covered with POR 15. If you have severe corrosion, POR 15 isn't like a glue to hold parts together.
Shade Tree Fiero

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2014 08:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Shade Tree FieroSend a Private Message to Shade Tree FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
mastercoat is a little cheper than por 15 .i have used this for over 20 years .it has ben out longger than pore 15 i have had great results.
zkhennings

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2014 12:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zkhenningsSend a Private Message to zkhenningsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Por-15 goes a long way, I bought a pint off amazon for under 30 bucks last year and it was enough to cover my entire cradle with 2 coats, the entire floor in the interior, and other stuff as well. And I still have a bunch more left. It self levels great and is easy to apply. I recommend it because I had a brake line burst in the rear, covered a whole bunch of my engine, chassis, and cradle with brake fluid. The cradle had been top coated with rubberized undercoating. the brake fluid took the paint completely off of my block, the stock paint on the chassis which was in good condition, completely stripped the rubberized undercoating off the cradle, and did absolutely nothing to the por-15. Rust breaks through layers of paint often when using pretty much anything else that air dries (in my experience) after maybe a year. I am going on 2 years with the POR and have taken the car in a salty slushy massachusetts winter driving it almost every day, no matter how much snow or slush is on the road. the POR holds up like a champ. I even dropped wrenches on the cradle a couple times and it does not chip the paint at all, it is some really tough stuff.

It just does not like to be applied to clean bare metal without a special prep spray. It covers up unevenness lost from rust really well. The best way to rust proof in my opinion is to strip everything and spray with a quality epoxy based paint, but that is expensive. POR is a great way to not do that much work and have something that will look good and last a long long time

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2014 01:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by zkhennings:

... POR holds up like a champ.
It just does not like to be applied to clean bare metal without a special prep spray.

I too like POR15, you do need to prep like they recommend though, they also reccomend at least 2 coats. They also reccomend finishing teh can if you open it. I usually get the "6pack" of 4 oz cans.
http://www.por15.com/Rust-P...ve-Coating_c_11.html

Rust Bullet is another brand but looks more expensive than POR.
http://www.rustbullet.com/P...c/viewcategories.asp
zkhennings

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2014 01:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zkhenningsSend a Private Message to zkhenningsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have had good luck resealing the can with a plastic shopping bag between the lid and can, it makes it easy to reopen, and when you peel off the shopping bag over the top the paint is nice and fresh underneath. I would replace the shopping bag each time you open and close it.
Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2014 10:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you are dealing with deep rust, a product like por15 is good when the work is done and you are rust free.

The problem with deep rust is that even when you sandblast the surface clean, there is still oxidizing in the pores of the metal at a molecular level

After you weld in new metal, you are better off with a rust inhibitor on the repair. What I have had allot of success with is yellow Tremclad as a primer on repaired rust work. It is the same stuff used on heavy equipment and it will inhibit further rust. If you coat over top of it with some black stuff like Por15 you should have a good job. If you don't use a rust inhibitor though, you are just delaying the inevitable Hope this helps

Arn
classic ccg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2014 12:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for classic ccgSend a Private Message to classic ccgEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by nickbrown:

would a 3000psi pressure washer remove deep rust, the rear fender supports are rusted away and i want to blast everything under the car, all the grease and remove all rust.

any one know of a cheaper alternative to por 15?

It depends. You can try a wirewheel and a good drill then put the fust preventative where the rust was. just dont use a primer. do you have a pic of how bad it is and where it is?

84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2014 08:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jaskispyder:

sandblaster would... water probably won't.

POR works well, but you can buy similar items at your local NAPA, sometimes.

Agree but sandblasting will eat the rust and steel as well so you might just end up with a lot thinner peace of steel after sandblasting. hit it with a welders chipping hammer after you are done to make sure it is still metal and not tinfoil.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

Mark A. Klein

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2014 12:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mark A. KleinSend a Private Message to Mark A. KleinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like POR 15, but my lungs don't. I felt sick for a while after spraying it with only a 3m mask. Use a special respirator if you use it.
PFF
System Bot
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2014 02:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mark A. Klein:

I like POR 15, but my lungs don't. I felt sick for a while after spraying it with only a 3m mask. Use a special respirator if you use it.

if its inside and you are spraying always use a respirator, always and make sure you have the right filter cartridge.

Steve
solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2014 08:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have had great success with Dupli Color Rust Fix. I used it on the 88 I daily drove for 12 years.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock