3800 fuel lines by don297
Started on: 03-17-2014 10:25 PM
Replies: 9 (1822 views)
Last post by: TbirdMarc on 03-24-2014 04:36 PM
don297

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2014 10:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for don297Send a Private Message to don297Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a set of 3800 SS fuel lines, and it is going into a 1984 fiero. I want to retain the stock fuel filter, but I need a way to connect the lines to the filter and return line. Unsure what fittings to use for this if anyone has any input it would be appreciated.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Darth Fiero

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 361
Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2014 01:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are you saying you have a stainless steel 3800 fuel rail? If so, that is a returnless fuel rail and it does not have a fuel pressure regulator in it. You will need one in the system somewhere.

Here's a picture of what I did:

Basically, I cut the fuel pressure regulator off a stock L67 (3800 Series 2 SC) fuel rail and used an AN flaring tool (37 deg flares) to flare the 3/8 line coming out of the regulator (after sliding the -6 AN tube nut and tube sleeve on) and connected that to a -6 AN steel TEE fitting. I flared the fuel supply line coming out of the stock Fiero fuel filter and put a nut and tube sleeve on it as well to connect to the bottom feed of the TEE. I then put a 45 deg -6 AN swivel hose end on the AN braided hose I was using down at the TEE. The return line coming out of the fuel pressure regulator is 5/16" and can be connected to the 5/16" return line going back to the Fiero gas tank via clamped on fuel injection spec rubber hose you can get at any auto parts store.

At the fuel rail, you'll need a -6AN male to 3/8" push-connect EFI fitting so you have something to connect the other braided -6 AN hose end to.

You can get all of these parts at Summit Racing Equipment. Below is the list and qty of each item you'll need:

2x -6 AN tube nut (steel)
2x -6 AN tube sleeve (steel)
1x -6 AN male TEE (steel)
1x -6 AN 45deg swivel hose end (aluminum)
1x -6 AN straight hose end (aluminum)
1x -6 AN male to 3/8" EFI push/quick connect (aluminum)
About 3 foot or so of -6 AN braided hose (if you mount your fuel pressure regulator near the stock Fiero V6 fuel filter location)
1x L67 (3800 Series 2 SC) fuel rail and regulator

SPECIAL TOOLS NEEDED:
37 deg AN flaring tool
Tubing bender
Tubing cutter
Pneumatic cut-off wheel (to cut the braided AN hose to length with - apply electrical tape to braided line before cutting; then make sure you clean out the hose well after cutting to prevent debris for entering the fuel system)

-ryan

------------------
OVERKILL IS UNDERRATED

Custom GM OBD1 & OBD2 Tuning | Engine Conversions & more | www.gmtuners.com

[This message has been edited by Darth Fiero (edited 03-19-2014).]

don297

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2014 09:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for don297Send a Private Message to don297Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have the stock 3800 series 2 fuel rail, my lines are the stainless ones from the lumina minivans. I am trying to find a way to attach these lines to my stock 84 fuel system.
Darth Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2014 01:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by don297:

I have the stock 3800 series 2 fuel rail, my lines are the stainless ones from the lumina minivans. I am trying to find a way to attach these lines to my stock 84 fuel system.

Stainless steel lines are pretty hard stuff and can be difficult to flare (or even double flare) to get a fitting onto. If you can get the stainless lines flared, you can flare the OEM Fiero lines and use some kind of union fitting to connect the two sets.

TbirdMarc

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2014 11:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TbirdMarcClick Here to visit TbirdMarc's HomePageSend a Private Message to TbirdMarcEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by don297:

Search the internet or ebay for AN Hard line fittings. These will allow you to hook your stainless lines without flaring.
ca420

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2014 01:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ca420Send a Private Message to ca420Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think I know what you are talking about. You want a fitting that connects to the line coming off the stock fuel filter right? I bought Russell fittings from a local speed shop that connect right up but I still have to run braided fuel line up to the stock 3800 connections.
Darth Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2014 10:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TbirdMarc:

Search the internet or ebay for AN Hard line fittings. These will allow you to hook your stainless lines without flaring.

You mean fittings like these?: http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS-...rentProductId=756885

-Not for use on multi-port fuel injection
-Rated at 55 psi maximum (make sure the tubing utilized meets or exceeds this rating)

These particular AN "hard line" fittings I found are made of aluminum and appear to be a compression fitting. I wouldn't even use brass compression fittings on stainless lines (let alone aluminum). I think using any kind of compression fitting on fuel injection lines is asking for trouble, especially if that line is made of stainless steel. The only way you are going to get a secure connection is either by flaring or using a quick/push-connect fitting if the line is already set up for that.
TbirdMarc

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2014 12:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TbirdMarcClick Here to visit TbirdMarc's HomePageSend a Private Message to TbirdMarcEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No. I used swageloc stainless fittings and compression on my line. Agreed, never a good idea to mix disimiliar metals.
Darth Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2014 11:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TbirdMarc:

No. I used swageloc stainless fittings and compression on my line. Agreed, never a good idea to mix disimiliar metals.

I wasn't so concerned about the dissimilar metals as I was about relying on a soft metal compression fitting trying to get a good "bite" on a hard stainless steel line.

That having been said, I'm still not crazy about compression fittings. They work fine on copper water line but I've seen problems when people try to use them on steel line when working with high pressures.
TbirdMarc

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2014 04:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TbirdMarcClick Here to visit TbirdMarc's HomePageSend a Private Message to TbirdMarcEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I really had no choice because I ended up using an SS fuel rail setup from a NA and had to cut it to fit across the supercharger and had no room or desire to flare the line. To answer the OP, the part number for the SS hard line fitting is CFC 8-8N-S316 and it is a Hy-Lok 1/2T X 1/2 FNPT Female Connector, rated for 2000psi and greater. I connected a braided hose with NPT fittings across.

[This message has been edited by TbirdMarc (edited 04-29-2014).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock