Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  New gapped plugs, wires and cap. Will not start.

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
New gapped plugs, wires and cap. Will not start. by FieroCat
Started on: 03-15-2014 01:55 PM
Replies: 11 (264 views)
Last post by: 84fiero123 on 03-16-2014 12:07 PM
FieroCat

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2014 01:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroCatSend a Private Message to FieroCatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just did a tuneup, with new plugs, wires, cap. Plugs are gapped properly at .045.
Engine turns but refuses to start. The only concern I had was that there were two coil-to-distributor wires in the kit that I ordered, am I forgetting to connect something? Not sure what it is or I has the dumb...
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Fadingaway

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2014 01:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FadingawaySend a Private Message to FadingawayEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Engine? Did you double check the firing order
FieroCat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2014 02:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroCatSend a Private Message to FieroCatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, I stupidly removed the old wires before remembering to label which went to which, but I found this diagram and connected the new ones using it for reference:

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...020511-2-018190.html

Is this diagram correct?
Fadingaway

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2014 02:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FadingawaySend a Private Message to FadingawayEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes and no, can you post pictures of where your distributor is facing. You may have got confused best way to do this is make sure your #1 is right and go from there. The position of your number one may be different (visually) from what is shown based off of how the distributor is turned when timing was set
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2014 02:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroCat:

Well, I stupidly removed the old wires before remembering to label which went to which, but I found this diagram and connected the new ones using it for reference:

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...020511-2-018190.html

Is this diagram correct?

Keep in mind that #1 on the distributor cap can theoretically be any of the terminals. That diagram is just a suggestion (that I do follow). You'll have to determine where your rotor is pointed when #1 cylinder is at TDC (of the compression stroke).
FieroCat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2014 02:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroCatSend a Private Message to FieroCatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just fixed it. I realized the Haynes manual had the correct configuration and it started right up. My number one terminal on the cap is closest to the engine.
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2014 03:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Today's Lesson: Change plug wires one at a time.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2014 03:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

My number one terminal on the cap is closest to the engine.

Glad that makes sense to you.
FieroCat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2014 03:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroCatSend a Private Message to FieroCatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Closest to the passenger side?
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2014 04:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Closest to the passenger side?

The bolt indicated with the arrow is pretty close to where I line up the #1 terminal (and rotor) with TDC before I time the engine.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 03-15-2014).]

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2014 06:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula88:

Great advice I ALWAYS follow with no exception. I also label any wires I disconnect with masking tape and a pen. A great invention for someone to make is a kit that has permanent snap on (like loom) labels for everything under a hood. I had them for spark plug wires on several cars I bought at Jegs. Ive bought wire kits for car restorations that had every wire permanently labeled with what it went to and wondered why no one makes them separately.

PFF
System Bot
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2014 12:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula88:

A rule I have followed religiously for the last 40+ years that has never failed me. I did have a friend call me one morning at 7 AM, 7 AM I was working the night shift the night before and did some overtime so I hadn't gotten home until 4 AM he called and asked me what the firing order was on his car, WTF. I told him it was on the intake manifold, he said he couldn't find it, so I looked it up read it to him and then went back to bed. he called me again a few hours later saying it still wouldn't start, I described the cap shape and hold down screws in relation to number 1 plug and again gave him the firing order. Go by the cap and the screws relationship to number 1 and you should never be wrong, unless the manual is wrong. I have only run into that once, in a Haynes manual on an Astro van. but it does happen, I had to look the firing order up online to realize it was wrong in the manual.

so in all the time I have ever changed plugs, unless it was a complete engine rebuild I have only messed up that one time, because I only change one plug at a time.

Originally posted by rogergarrison:
Great advice I ALWAYS follow with no exception. I also label any wires I disconnect with masking tape and a pen. A great invention for someone to make is a kit that has permanent snap on (like loom) labels for everything under a hood. I had them for spark plug wires on several cars I bought at Jegs. Ive bought wire kits for car restorations that had every wire permanently labeled with what it went to and wondered why no one makes them separately.

Factory wire sets used to have them on them as well Roger, remember them, I know you do, was for ease of assembly at the factory. If I remember right it was printed right on the wirers and the cap.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

[This message has been edited by 84fiero123 (edited 03-16-2014).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock