Spring seat wear? by TrotFox
Started on: 03-14-2014 06:29 PM
Replies: 8 (298 views)
Last post by: fieroguru on 03-28-2014 04:28 PM
TrotFox

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2014 06:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TrotFoxSend a Private Message to TrotFoxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've got a popping coming from my front end that has been there for years. Whenever I first load the suspension, while turning, in either direction, I get a loud pop, once from each side. If I'm backing to the left it pops, hten if I change direction to go forward right it'll pop again. The only things I haven't replaced yet are the inner tie rods and the spring seats. The tie rods seem fine as I can't make them move no matter how hard I pull/push on the wheel with the car in the air but I have never read what the symptom of a spring seat failure is.

Thoughts?

Red 5spd Formula
Trot, the frequently embarrassed, fox...

------------------
| /\_/\ TrotFox \ Always remember,
| ( o o ) AKA Landon Solomon \ "There is a
| >\_/< trotfox at gmail.com \ third alternative."

[This message has been edited by TrotFox (edited 03-14-2014).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
TrotFox

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2014 05:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TrotFoxSend a Private Message to TrotFoxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
One more time... any takers?

Red 5spd Formula
Trot, the noisy, fox...

------------------

flimbob

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2014 11:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for flimbobSend a Private Message to flimbobEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Make sure the lower ball joint castle nut is torqued to spec with a cotter pin holding it securely. I've had 2 instances where the nut has sheared off. Luckily, I was going very slow. Could cause catastrophic damage if it happens at speed. Symptoms have always been as you've described prior to the ball joint failure. Be aware that you will have to place your jack underneath the control arm where the ball joint is installed to be able to ascertain if the castle nut is loose.
TrotFox

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2014 11:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TrotFoxSend a Private Message to TrotFoxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
flimbob,

Unfortunately, this issue has survived through a couple of balljoint sets. Only recently is it getting consistent enough that I think anyone else might be able to walk along beside the car while it moves to try and pinpoint the source. In the past alignment technicians have either been completely unable to replicate the noise or it was shrouded by a more serious issue (like they forgot to tighten the upper arm adjustment nuts!

Thanks for the input though.

Red 5spd Formula
Trot, the somewhat frustrated, fox...
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2014 10:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Control arm bushings or worn out alignment shims on the upper shaft can all make noise.
TrotFox

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2014 03:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TrotFoxSend a Private Message to TrotFoxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
rogergarrison,

Thanks for the input but the issue has survived a full bushing replacement and the '88 front doesn't have any alignment shims. Any more thoughts?

Red 5spd Formula (See? Frustrating!)
Trot, the checklist-ing, fox...

------------------

fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 257
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2014 05:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
On the 88's there is a rubber seat that goes on the top of the spring between the spring and the pocket in the cross member. If you left it out when you did all the other work, then that can allow the spring to rotate and move under compression/extension (the upper pocket is flat). If you don't have the rubber seat anymore, take a length of 5/8" heater hose and slide it over the first coil.

Here is what the upper spring seat looks like in the crossmember:

At the bottom the spring sits snugly in the contour of the lower control arm and it doesn't really have much room to move.

[This message has been edited by fieroguru (edited 03-28-2014).]

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2014 04:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TrotFox:

'88 front doesn't have any alignment shims. Any more thoughts?

Red 5spd Formula (See? Frustrating!)
Trot, the checklist-ing, fox...

The 88s dont have the washer set on the upper control arm ? I guess I learned something new, I thought they all had those in order to do alignments. Do the 88s have adjustable ball joints ? There has to be some way to adjust the alignment. Only one I ever saw without something were older Ford trucks where you physically bent the arms.

fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 257
Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2014 04:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:
The 88s dont have the washer set on the upper control arm ?

The 88's have a bolt on upper a-arm shaft and the bolt holes in the crossmember are slotted. So the 88's just have to loosen the bolts, slide the shaft to the right place, and tighten them back down. No washer shim setup. The top picture also shows the special alignment tools that can be used to help position the cross-shaft before tightening it down.

------------------
fieroguruperformance.com

[This message has been edited by fieroguru (edited 03-28-2014).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock