Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Are all series II oil tubes and dipsticks the same length?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Are all series II oil tubes and dipsticks the same length? by Tweeder
Started on: 03-12-2014 10:39 PM
Replies: 8 (383 views)
Last post by: Tweeder on 05-17-2014 12:33 PM
Tweeder

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2014 10:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TweederSend a Private Message to TweederEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mines from a 02 sc and the one i got is from a 02 na. I can't get a reading on either sticks and I just did an oil change and put in 5 liters of oil. I kinked the origonal tube so I took the one from my junk 5.3 and had to cut a couple centimeters off the lower end so it was exactly the same length. Since then I couldn't get a reading so Thats why i went to the junk yard and pulled another tube and stick. This way i can try to better bend the tube but both sticks are the same length so I know thats ok but I still have no oil reading.

------------------
86 SE Convertible 3800sc 4t65e HD.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
sco77

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2014 06:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sco77Send a Private Message to sco77Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
All series II and series III have the same dipstick/tube lengths, I don't see how it's not getting a reading. this might sound dumb, but are you sure its seated properly in the block hole?

------------------
86 Fiero GT 4spd - L67 swap: VS cam, GenV
98 GTP - Some mods

Tweeder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2014 09:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TweederSend a Private Message to TweederEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Oh yeah there's no mistaking that.

------------------

Tweeder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2014 10:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TweederSend a Private Message to TweederEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Tweeder

1026 posts
Member since Aug 2012

Originally posted by Tweeder:

Oh yeah there's no mistaking that. Just before I did the oil change I had no reading but I was playing around with the oil filter adapter that had a leak. So I figured ok it was low an added two litres and still nothing on the stick. I drained the oil and it was clear I was WAY over.

------------------

Tweeder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2014 10:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TweederSend a Private Message to TweederEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Tweeder

1026 posts
Member since Aug 2012
*facepalm*. I figured it out. When I used my 5.3 dipstick and tube I made sure to line up the bottom of the tubes and made sure the sticks were the same length and used the 5.3 tube. Well the bends in the 5.3 tube, the stick wouldn't work so I left it out to see if I could find a cable one. Forgetting that I stuck the 3800 stick to check the oil levels but it wouldn't read because of the different length tubes. Man I hate forgetting stuff.

------------------

Tweeder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2014 01:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TweederSend a Private Message to TweederEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well I got a hold of lokar to see about buying a dipstick and tube for a 5.3 to fit but they say the length isn't the same as stock, it's quite a bit shorter. Has anyone been able to find a cable dipstick that's the correct length?

------------------

darkhorizon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2014 08:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Try looking at some ford trans or engine dipsticks.
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2014 09:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tweeder:

Well I got a hold of lokar to see about buying a dipstick and tube for a 5.3 to fit but they say the length isn't the same as stock, it's quite a bit shorter. Has anyone been able to find a cable dipstick that's the correct length?

Just cut the tube, at the top this time, make sure its seated and you have the right amount of oil in it and just cut a little of the exterior tube at a time until you get the proper reading for a full oil supply.

You are making this more difficult that it really is.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

Tweeder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2014 12:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TweederSend a Private Message to TweederEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The tube isn't necessarily the problem, it's the right length to get up over the engine to get at. The problem is the stick is flat and won't bend the way it needs to go. I have the correct reading, I just can't get it back in the tube, if I had a cable it would make all the bends needed.

------------------

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock