Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  '88 GT parking brake, rear LH caliper, having trouble with cable install

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
'88 GT parking brake, rear LH caliper, having trouble with cable install by hdryder
Started on: 03-10-2014 01:12 PM
Replies: 2 (242 views)
Last post by: solotwo on 03-15-2014 09:26 PM
hdryder

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2014 01:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hdryderSend a Private Message to hdryderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am trying to put the calipers back on the rear of my '88 GT after doing a transmission swap. The RH side caliper parking brake seems to be OK.
But when trying to install the LH parking brake cable, there does not seem to be enough cable to prevent the caliper from locking up the rotor when installing the cable. I have tried to get more cable from the adjuster in the middle of the cradle, but when the cable lever on the caliper moves forward just a little bit, it locks up the caliper. So that is where the lever position ends up with the cable and spring installed. Rotor locked on the LH side, while RH rotor turns with the Parking Brake lever in the off position.

Any ideas want may need to do, or be doing wrong?
It's been a while since I took this apart, so that may be some of the problem I am having.

Thank you for the help.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
hdryder

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2014 01:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hdryderSend a Private Message to hdryderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think I got it. The cables inside the adjuster seemed to be out of place, preventing me to get enough cable slack on the LH caliper cable end to make a good connection to parking brake lever.
solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2014 09:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I found on my 88 that the replacement cables on that side were actually just a little bit longer than the original. I bought AC Delco.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock