Power windows suddenly quit working by Dmbowers98
Started on: 03-07-2014 01:55 PM
Replies: 7 (161 views)
Last post by: rogergarrison on 03-09-2014 10:05 PM
Dmbowers98

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2014 01:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dmbowers98Send a Private Message to Dmbowers98Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was driving and operating both windows yesterday perfectly fine, never have had any previous problems with my windows. (84 SE). And today I got in and went to roll them down and neither responded with anything. Anyone know what could be the problem?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
gtoformula

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2014 02:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gtoformulaSend a Private Message to gtoformulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Start with the most simple to check items and work your way down. First would be the fuse. Is it OK? You might want to use an OHM meter to verify even it you can see the fuse element. If the fuse is OK then you may want to pull the window switches and see if you have current flow both in and out of the switch. If both of them went out at the same time my bet would be a fuse. Unlikely, but not impossible, that both switches quit simultaneously.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2014 03:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There shouldnt be a fuse. Windows and power seats are usually on circuit breakers. There silver metal about 1 x 1 1/2 inches and in the fuse box. When they kick out, they usually reset after a few minutes, but I have seen them fail. Theyre only a few bucks. With your location, if they both stopped, it could be theyre simply frozen with ice. I see it a lot of that here too. I wouldnt suspect a switch since they both quit. Cars with nylon gears or tracks snap off when they try to use them frozen. I dont recall exactly how Fieros are, but I think the motor and regulator are all metal.
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2014 01:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

There shouldnt be a fuse. Windows and power seats are usually on circuit breakers. There silver metal about 1 x 1 1/2 inches and in the fuse box. When they kick out, they usually reset after a few minutes, but I have seen them fail. Theyre only a few bucks. With your location, if they both stopped, it could be theyre simply frozen with ice. I see it a lot of that here too. I wouldnt suspect a switch since they both quit. Cars with nylon gears or tracks snap off when they try to use them frozen. I dont recall exactly how Fieros are, but I think the motor and regulator are all metal.

Ditto about everything Roger said

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

Dmbowers98

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2014 01:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dmbowers98Send a Private Message to Dmbowers98Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It ended up just being the circuit breaker that needed replaced. I tried it just to make sure because I had one, and the replacement one fixed it. I was really worried because a lot of things I was reading involved digging deep into the car to fix it. But thanks for the input guys!
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2014 04:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Always glad to help out. Great it was so simple....
Knight

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2014 08:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KnightSend a Private Message to KnightEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How about if just one window fails?
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2014 10:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Switch first, then motor, then trace power thru wiring. Ive seen a lot of door electric problems right at the front of the door where the wires are bent back and forth from opening and closing doors for years. Everything from power mirrors, speakers, windows and locks.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock