Which Replacement Alternator by fiero5150
Started on: 03-01-2014 01:34 AM
Replies: 1 (135 views)
Last post by: Tooshea on 03-01-2014 09:04 AM
fiero5150

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2014 01:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero5150Send a Private Message to fiero5150Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The alternator on my '88 GT, stock, manual V6, died. Need to replace with new or reman that has a pulley with 5 groves. Is there a recommended alternator that others have had good luck with? Thanks.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Tooshea

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2014 09:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ToosheaSend a Private Message to ToosheaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Its been my experience since we've own our Fiero that all remanufactured ALTS come with a 5 groove pulley. I had to swap my 4 groove pulley on to my new ALT. The other difference is, the fan. I'm sure the 88's came with the upgraded disk fan but my original had a blade fan but I liked the look of disk better so I kept it.

If the ALT on your car is original.. Get a metal brush and clean the head of the bolt then use the brush on back side as well. Then SOAK the bolt in PB Blaster. Let it sit for 5 minutes then just use a little pressure. If this bolt hasnt been touched in 25 years you may not be able to move it..(Like mine ) If you have all the time in world to work on it.. Then I would do several rounds of PB Blaster and try to use and IMPACT wrench.

Good luck!

------------------
Tim and Lynn
1987 Fastback GT in restore mode..

IP: Logged

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay