another cat question by guitarfreak235
Started on: 02-27-2014 06:07 PM
Replies: 3 (96 views)
Last post by: seajai on 02-27-2014 07:39 PM
guitarfreak235

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2014 06:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for guitarfreak235Send a Private Message to guitarfreak235Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello all, Ive scoured the forums on cat removal but still have some questions. Im interested in removing mine simply to improve the sound.

Is it true that it hurts low end torque? If so is it noticable?

I removed the cat on my old fiero 2.5 before it seized and I sold it. The buyer said that removing the cat causes the engine to run lean and eventually seize. Is this true? He also said i need to disable the egr in order to keep the engine from doing this. Again, is this true? I have never read or heard of this being the case.

If low end torque is hurt negligably, Im not too concerned. I just dont want to screw up my only car and want to be sure im not missing anything.

thanks
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
seajai

Feedback score:    (42)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2014 06:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by guitarfreak235:

Hello all, Ive scoured the forums on cat removal but still have some questions. Im interested in removing mine simply to improve the sound.

Is it true that it hurts low end torque? If so is it noticable?

I removed the cat on my old fiero 2.5 before it seized and I sold it. The buyer said that removing the cat causes the engine to run lean and eventually seize. Is this true? He also said i need to disable the egr in order to keep the engine from doing this. Again, is this true? I have never read or heard of this being the case.

If low end torque is hurt negligably, Im not too concerned. I just dont want to screw up my only car and want to be sure im not missing anything.

thanks

I've never heard of such a thing. A catalytic converter is there to clean up the exhaust and has no bearing on the air/fuel mixture. The A/F mixture of the engine is determined by inputs to the ECM from the oxygen sensor, not the cat. My 88 was without a cat for a while and it had plenty of low end torque. My 1 ton duallie is missing both cats and has enough low end torque to spin the tires when I get on it. I wouldn't worry about it.
guitarfreak235

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2014 07:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for guitarfreak235Send a Private Message to guitarfreak235Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by seajai:

I've never heard of such a thing. A catalytic converter is there to clean up the exhaust and has no bearing on the air/fuel mixture. The A/F mixture of the engine is determined by inputs to the ECM from the oxygen sensor, not the cat. My 88 was without a cat for a while and it had plenty of low end torque. My 1 ton duallie is missing both cats and has enough low end torque to spin the tires when I get on it. I wouldn't worry about it.

I was thinking the same, I just wasnt sure if there was a post cat sensor that I havent seen.
seajai

Feedback score:    (42)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2014 07:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by guitarfreak235:

I was thinking the same, I just wasnt sure if there was a post cat sensor that I havent seen.

Only on newer vehicles. I believe it's primary function is as a catalyst monitor.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock