Want to install factory sunroof by PsychoPimpKiller
Started on: 02-26-2014 10:45 PM
Replies: 6 (303 views)
Last post by: rogergarrison on 02-27-2014 05:33 PM
PsychoPimpKiller

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2014 10:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PsychoPimpKillerSend a Private Message to PsychoPimpKillerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I want to find and install a factory sunroof in my non-sunroof car. I have an 88 GT in red and was wondering if anyone has an extra roof section (preferably in red) with a factory sunroof. I've been doing some reading on this subject and it doesn't seem all that complicated to do this roof swap. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

How much would I expect to pay for the roof section with a sunroof in it? Does anybody have an extra one just lying around?

Here is a picture of my Fiero for a color reference.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2014 11:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Color shouldn't matter as there are a lot of red Fieros out there, I think it was the most common color over the years or what GM made the most of. getting one local to you might be a problem but not impossible to ship, expensive but not impossible. I have never removed the roof on one but have seen threads of people who have, just can't remember where they are, its not that hard. good luck finding one and the install.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2014 11:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Somewhere out there.......is an owner of a red 88 GT with a sunroof thinking to him/herself......"I'm tired of this $*#&^ leaky sunroof...I should swap it for a car that does not have one".

TONY_C

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2014 01:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TONY_CSend a Private Message to TONY_CEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The problem is, they are not so hard to install but a real PITA to get off in one piece. I would think that good condition roofs with factory sunroof holes that are off the car are kind of rare.
turbo86se

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2014 01:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for turbo86seSend a Private Message to turbo86seEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Been done before, many times. Even on my old '86 SE by some friends. Worst part was cutting through the adhesive around the windshield. It helped doing it on a very hot sunny day, so the adhesive was easy to work through. Have you thought about black? Personally, I love the way a red Fiero looks with a black roof top.
PsychoPimpKiller

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2014 04:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PsychoPimpKillerSend a Private Message to PsychoPimpKillerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by turbo86se:

Been done before, many times. Even on my old '86 SE by some friends. Worst part was cutting through the adhesive around the windshield. It helped doing it on a very hot sunny day, so the adhesive was easy to work through. Have you thought about black? Personally, I love the way a red Fiero looks with a black roof top.

I have thought about a black roof. I think it would look good. My only concern with that is that I have an "Antique Plate" on my car now and a black roof will not be stock. But then again I do still have the bra on the front. It covers up a big scuff from where someone swiped my car in a parking lot. No note or anything, I really don't like people sometimes.

[This message has been edited by PsychoPimpKiller (edited 02-27-2014).]

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2014 05:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I never saw a single state where you couldnt have an antique, classic or collector tag and have to have your car completely OEM. Check, but I think youll find putting a different color even on the whole car, or adding a factory sunroof wouldnt matter. Many here have special plates with engine swaps, non OEM paint colors and alloy wheels. My Fieros with body kits (Ferrari, Diablo, GT40, V8 custom...) were all issued collector/antique tags with Fiero on the title. My old Dodge SuperBee had personalized antique tags (STING U)...and heavily modified with Charger nose and tail sections, custom color, custom wheels, interior and a massive engine swap. All were also insured as Classics.

It would be far better to locate one locally, at least in driving range. Yard will certainly break the pillars taking the roof off. There are threads archived to tell you the step by step. Shipping would cost more than the roof. You might even find one with a blown engine or trans nearby to buy the whole thing for a few hundred dollars and have a boatload of spare parts if you have somewhere to keep it. All the front roof panels with and without sunroof fit all years and models. Dont forget to try and get the roof spoiler that goes in the sunroof opening, its plastic about 3" wide and 2' long. Really keeps the wind from blowing in hard. It should be under the front hood above the spare tire.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock