3800SC install question by Lou6t4gto
Started on: 02-24-2014 07:41 PM
Replies: 3 (206 views)
Last post by: Darth Fiero on 02-25-2014 03:11 PM
Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2014 07:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have the harness made(but since there was no mention of the oil pressure sender in gmtuners sheets, I have not got that wired in yet). Will, (should) the engine, "start" without that sender wired up ? everything else being connected ? I believe the wires on that plug are oil pressure "Gauge", to "fuel pump" and "ground", correct ?( Stock big sender)
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2014 08:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Lou6t4gto:

I have the harness made(but since there was no mention of the oil pressure sender in gmtuners sheets, I have not got that wired in yet). Will, (should) the engine, "start" without that sender wired up ? everything else being connected ? I believe the wires on that plug are oil pressure "Gauge", to "fuel pump" and "ground", correct ?( Stock big sender)

Should.....
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2014 07:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Lou6t4gto:

Oil pressure sending unit plug wiring

Pin A - org/blk - fuel pump relay D (power)
Pin B - Tan - C203-E (gage)
Pin C - tan/white - C203-L (power to fuel pump)

[This message has been edited by olejoedad (edited 02-25-2014).]

Darth Fiero

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 361
Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2014 03:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In all the 3800 swaps I do, I only wire up the oil pressure sending unit to the dash gage and nothing else. You certainly DO NOT want to wire up the oil pressure sending unit to the fuel pump wiring IF you are using a high performance fuel pump as it could burn up the switch contacts in the oil pressure sending unit. An OE-replacement type fuel pump should not overload it though.

The only reason why GM used the oil pressure sending unit to help power up the fuel pump as a back-up was because for a time, they were using non weather sealed relays which proved to be unreliable. In all the Fiero swaps I do, I change the relays over to the newer weather sealed style and omit the oil pressure switch fuel pump wiring. Never had a problem nor heard of a problem.

By the mid 90's, GM quit running the fuel pump power circuit to the oil pressure sending unit themselves anyway.

-ryan

------------------
OVERKILL IS UNDERRATED

Custom GM OBD1 & OBD2 Tuning | Engine Conversions & more | www.gmtuners.com

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay