Limiting straps & decklid shocks by nightscar
Started on: 02-23-2014 01:49 PM
Replies: 5 (165 views)
Last post by: nightscar on 02-23-2014 08:45 PM
nightscar

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2014 01:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nightscarSend a Private Message to nightscarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey guys/gals,

Have a quick question. On my 1985 Fiero one of my decklid limiting straps are broke.
Now I can get new ones with no issue:
http://www.rodneydickman.com/n91.html

However .. I am going to install eaither a single or duel shocks for the back decklid..
My question is.. Will these limiting straps even still be nessasary?
Should I install a new set? Or just remove them completly?
Thanks
Todd

------------------

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Fiero84Freak

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2014 03:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you install a decklid strut you pretty much have no need for the limit strap, since the decklid will gradually open as the strut expands until it reaches it full expansion point. And one decklid strut will do just fine - on my old Fiero I used just one and it held up both a decklid and spoiler.
Ray_and_kevin

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2014 05:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Ray_and_kevinSend a Private Message to Ray_and_kevinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
interesting idea. I had not considered this. Does Rodney Dickman carry the struts (in a kit perhaps?) or somewhere else? The straps on Kevin's red 88 are broken and this would be a good improvement. I might even consider it for my new 88GT.

johnt671

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2014 06:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnt671Send a Private Message to johnt671Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, Rodney does sell a kit with the struts and mounting hardware. Glad the OP asked because I was wondering about this. I plan to order one of Rodneys kits for my birthday next month.
Rodney

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 267
Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2014 07:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
More than a few times thru the years some have told me their deck lid stays open fine but the straps were broken. They ask: Can I use a strut kit. I could make some in a very low pressure and that would work on the 84-87 coupes and 86-87 GT. Not so well on the 88's as the bracket I supply in my 88 kits hangs out and is not strong enough to really hold a lid when open like a limit cable. I have played with a bolt on limit device in the past. Not easy to find room to make something fit and work.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

Fiero Parts And Acc's Web Page:
All new web page!:www.rodneydickman.com
Rodney Dickman's Fiero accessories
7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

nightscar

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2014 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nightscarSend a Private Message to nightscarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
O cool, I have the man himself comment on my post

Thank you all for the replies, I was hoping for some good news as to the question at hand.
I am going to be ordering a strut kit from Rodney hear soon for my 1985 GT, and if its ok to not have the cables, I will cut them out.

saves me the pain of having to put new ones on :P

[This message has been edited by nightscar (edited 02-23-2014).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock