EGR Solenoid line question by notaguru
Started on: 02-16-2014 04:47 PM
Replies: 13 (599 views)
Last post by: notaguru on 02-17-2014 05:25 PM
notaguru

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2014 04:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for notaguruClick Here to visit notaguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to notaguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
On the forward-facing end of the EGR solenoid (pass side of V6) there's a vent going nowhere. I found no drawings showing it terminating at some connection on the engine.

On my '88GT, the EGR solenoid is fitted with a 20" rubber line that is routed to the front side of the engine, then stops - open and doing nothing. With a squeeze-bulb I determined that positive or negative pressure do nothing at idle.

EGR valve? Intake manifold?

???
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
maybenot

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2014 05:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maybenotSend a Private Message to maybenotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
if i understand correctly, the front of the solenoid has a nipple. on my 85 v6 it has a rubber hose going to another nipple on the air filter housing. i assume for filtered/cooler air.
if you search egr solenoid, there is a wealth of info on what it does and also how to rebuild if you want.
notaguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2014 06:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for notaguruClick Here to visit notaguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to notaguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks,
My '88 has a nipple on the EGR solenoid, but no matching fitting anywhere in the air intake path.

I think this deserves some foam to pass air and keep it clean, and a simple tie-tie to hold it in place.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2014 06:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by notaguru:

My '88 has a nipple on the EGR solenoid, but no matching fitting anywhere in the air intake path.

I know for a fact (I have a Formula) that the 88's have a rubber hose that goes from the EGR solenoid nipple to a metal tube on the firewall (which leads to the air filter canister).

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 02-16-2014).]

notaguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2014 07:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for notaguruClick Here to visit notaguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to notaguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
On my '88GT, there's a 1" metal tube that goes to the air filter cannister. That tube is unplugged, open. Is that where the EGR solenoid tube went? If so, I need a fitting to get that down from 1" to a 1/8" nipple.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2014 07:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

On my '88GT, there's a 1" metal tube that goes to the air filter cannister. That tube is unplugged, open.

No, that's the old (before recall) PCV breather tube. It's now unused and it's supposed to be plugged.

Is that where the EGR solenoid tube went? If so, I need a fitting to get that down from 1" to a 1/8" nipple.

I found a image on the 'net that I've cropped and indicated with an arrow where the EGR solenoid hose is supposed to connect.

Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2014 07:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As Patrick explained, the fresh air pipe for the EGR solenoid is a small pipe that runs alongside the big pipe that used to be the PCV fresh air pipe.
notaguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2014 08:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for notaguruClick Here to visit notaguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to notaguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hmmm...
Even after considerable inspection with bright lights and a mirror, I found nothing in that area to which the EGR solenoid (vent?) could connect. If it IS a vent, I will put foam over it. If it's something else, I've failed the IQ test.

But I have seen nothing in any manual that describes that line!
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2014 12:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The nipple isn't a vent. It's an air intake. The tube described above connects on the driver's end to a nipple on the bottom of the air filter canister. It channels filtered air to the EGR solenoid. You can see the large tube with the small tube attached to the bottom side in this photo. The metal tubes are mounted on the firewall.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2014 02:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofool:

The tube described above connects on the driver's end to a nipple on the bottom of the air filter canister. It channels filtered air to the EGR solenoid.

To be precise, the narrow tube/rubber hose actually channels unfiltered air (from below the filter in the canister) to the EGR solenoid. There is actually a filter of sorts inside the solenoid. Yes, it's a strange setup.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 02-17-2014).]

fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2014 08:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

To be precise, the narrow tube/rubber hose actually channels unfiltered air (from below the filter in the canister) to the EGR solenoid. There is actually a filter of sorts inside the solenoid. Yes, it's a strange setup.

I digress. You're correct. The nipple is on the piece that goes into the fender well, not the bottom of the canister.
PFF
System Bot
notaguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2014 09:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for notaguruClick Here to visit notaguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to notaguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I found that line by tracing it from the driver side of the car, but a previous owner had snipped it below the air filter assembly, and that's why the rubber line from the EGR solenoid was just dangling. That line is omitted in many drawings and even books, so it cannot be a critical air supply. I thought about running a new plastic+rubber line across the car, but here's a potentially better idea.

1. Disassemble and rebuild the EGR solenoid assembly.
2. Fabricate a simple foam filter right at the nipple of that solenoid.
3. Seal the nipple at the air filter end.

VOILA - one less line, and a hopefully reliable EGR solenoid

THANKS to the gurus here!
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2014 03:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

That line is omitted in many drawings and even books, so it cannot be a critical air supply. I thought about running a new plastic+rubber line across the car, but here's a potentially better idea...

"Better"?

You've got to wonder why Pontiac went through the trouble of running a hose/tube from the EGR solenoid located on the passenger side of the engine bay all the way over to the driver's side of the engine bay. Spending a buck or two on every car adds up. It wasn't done for no reason.
notaguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2014 05:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for notaguruClick Here to visit notaguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to notaguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The only rational explanation is temperature. Filtering air close to the EGR solenoid will work, but the air will change in temperature as the car is operated. The air from over by the intake is at a more constant cooler temperature.

But I'm in San Diego - which is by definition a "more constant cooler temperature", so this morning I did the job suggested above. Works fine... though the levitation system needed adjustment.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock