Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  You Have Any Tips for Installing Stock Front Springs?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
You Have Any Tips for Installing Stock Front Springs? by animal
Started on: 02-07-2014 05:15 PM
Replies: 25 (1092 views)
Last post by: Lou and Blue on 07-29-2016 09:00 PM
animal

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2014 05:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for animalSend a Private Message to animalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Need some help on how to re-install the stock front springs on my 84. I have tried a couple of spring compressors, but cannot get the spring on with the compressors on the spring and I don't seem to have quite enough arm strength to push the spring up over the bottom hump. What's the secret?

[This message has been edited by animal (edited 02-07-2014).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
gtoformula

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2014 05:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gtoformulaSend a Private Message to gtoformulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I assume that you're attempting to install the springs while there is a floor jack under the lower control arm? Lower the control arm far enough that you can just get the spring over the perch. You may also try a pry bar, but BE CAREFUL. Those springs will pop out with a lot of force. To be on the cautious side you may want to loop a chain or wire cable through the spring and bolt to someone substantial on the frame. You shouldn't need a compressor to install. The factory service manual doesn't not reference the use of a compressor to install front springs. Good luck.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2014 05:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
First of all, it's a heck of a lot easier putting lowering springs in, or the stock springs back in with a coil or two removed.

However...

Obviously make sure the lower control arm is hanging down as far as it will go... shock disconnected, sway bar/end links disconnected, knuckle disconnected, upper control arm/knuckle out of the way. Step on the end of the lower control arm and force it down. Make sure the car is high enough so that the ground doesn't get in the way of the control arm pivoting down.

Slide the spring up over the cone at the top, and while sitting on your ass on the ground facing the whole mess, kick the hell out of the lower part of the spring until you force it over the hump in the lower control arm and it sprongs into place.

It helps greatly to yell obscenities while you're doing it.

Originally posted by gtoformula:

To be on the cautious side you may want to loop a chain or wire cable through the spring and bolt to someone substantial on the frame.

If nothing else, the chain would help to hold the spring in place while you're kicking the hell out of it to push it in.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 02-08-2014).]

animal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2014 08:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for animalSend a Private Message to animalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This sounds like a plan. Apparently I don't have enough arm strength to get the spring on the lower perch but maybe I can do it with my legs and a lot of vocals.

Originally posted by Patrick:

Slide the spring up over the cone at the top, and while sitting on your ass on the ground facing the whole mess, kick the hell out of the lower part of the spring until you force it over the hump in the lower control arm and it sprongs into place.

fierohoho

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2014 05:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierohohoSend a Private Message to fierohohoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When I did it I was pushing the lower control arm down as far as I could with one foot and then using a pry bar on the spring to get the bottom coil over the hump.
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 199
Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2014 07:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't remember (to save my life) what I did to install the front springs.

BUT!!! I detail every second of my life working on cars on my car website, so I have all the instructions that I followed when I did it here:

http://www.pontiacperforman...n.html#FRONT-SPRINGS

NetCam

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2014 07:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NetCamClick Here to visit NetCam's HomePageSend a Private Message to NetCamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When I did mine, I put the spring compressor on them and then tied them down with cargo straps and then removed the compressors. This left them smaller and easier to get in but without the bulk on the compressors to get in the way. Mine were lowering springs, so as Patrick said they're easier, but any compression you can get on them is going to make the job easier.

DimeMachine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2014 07:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DimeMachineSend a Private Message to DimeMachineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like the cargo strap idea- all it takes is compressing it a little bit and it will go ineasier. Not sure if it will wreck the strap though when you have to remove it....

I cut a coil off of mine and modified the bump stop steel by shortening it 3/4" inch and that helps the spring go in easier too. I know it is the wrong way to lower the car but it works very well ln this low dollar application.

I have also lowerd the a arm most of the way down with a floor jack under it so it cant go all the way down - then sit on the floor (not a wheeled chair) and using your foot and a prybar and some foul language wrestle with it a bit until it goes in. It is a pain but can be done.

GM dealers probably had a special tool??/

------------------
84/87 NB, 3800SC, E-85, VS Cam, 2.8 Pulley, 4T65E-HD, HP Tuners, AEM Wideband, Regal GS Gauges, S-10 Brake Booster. 1/4 mile -11.85 at 114mph

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2014 09:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DimeMachine:

I cut a coil off of mine and modified the bump stop steel by shortening it 3/4" inch and that helps the spring go in easier too. I know it is the wrong way to lower the car...

Why is cutting the front springs the "wrong" way to do it? It works perfectly well, as it lowers the car while stiffening the spring. It's what you want!

Originally posted by DimeMachine:

...then sit on the floor (not a wheeled chair) and using your foot and a prybar and some foul language wrestle with it a bit until it goes in.

Sounds an awful lot like what I posted.

...while sitting on your ass on the ground facing the whole mess, kick the hell out of the lower part of the spring until you force it over the hump in the lower control arm and it sprongs into place.

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2014 10:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Why is cutting the front springs the "wrong" way to do it? It works perfectly well, as it lowers the car while stiffening the spring. It's what you want!

Exactly. As long as one doesn't get carried away and leave it riding on the bump stops.
Mine is running cut springs at all four corners now. It handles and rides better than it ever has. You just have to have some sense about it.

------------------
Raydar
88 Formula IMSA Fastback. 4.9, NVG T550

Praise the Lowered!

fierobug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2014 01:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobugSend a Private Message to fierobugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Patrick and gtoformula. I had the same question practically the same day. Got the spring compressor only to see it doesn't fit. Laid on the floor and used choice words to kick the spring into submission. Thank the Lord - one side is done.
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2014 02:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierobug:

Thank the Lord - one side is done.

I didn't see the big guy posting in this thread.

Glad to have helped. Putting those springs back in is something that's relatively easy after being guided through the first experience.
DimeMachine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2014 11:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DimeMachineSend a Private Message to DimeMachineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Sounds an awful lot like what I posted.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Patrick:

...while sitting on your ass on the ground facing the whole mess, kick the hell out of the lower part of the spring until you force it over the hump in the lower control arm and it sprongs into place.

[/QUOTE]

I guess we think alike. There has to be a better way of doing it though - it is a battle until you cut the springs. PS someone with a P.H.D in spring engineering will tell you why it is wrong. I will tell you it works fine. cheers.
Firebird

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2014 11:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FirebirdSend a Private Message to FirebirdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is what I did. Worked great for me.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...090219-2-084540.html
masospaghetti

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2014 10:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for masospaghettiSend a Private Message to masospaghettiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I sat with my back against the wall and pushed the spring on with my legs. It was not elegant but it worked.
Sundowner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2014 10:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SundownerSend a Private Message to SundownerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mine's a stock 88 but I also used straps to keep the springs compressed after using a rented compressor tool. I actually used three straps on each spring for fear of them snapping. Then after putting them in it was just a matter of jacking the lower control arm up and putting the spring under load and wrestling the straps back off.
darbysan

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2015 11:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darbysanSend a Private Message to darbysanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thought I would add an update and some pictures for those who search this topic in the future. I was skeptical, but tried the method proposed by Firebird a couple of posts above. It uses Green Vinyl covered wire to tie up the springs. It did work, but on the second spring, I thought I would try something slightly different.

The spring needs to be "curved" to easily fit. Tying up both sides of the spring compresses it straight, so I thought, why not just tie up one side. I placed the spring face down on the edge that would normally face the spindle, and then placed the two Strut Compressors 120 degrees apart ( think 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock). Compressed the spring and tied off.

The spring compresses to about 10.5", but when the compressors are removed, it will relax to about 11.5" ( on the short side). I was easily able to shove the spring in with just a push of my hand at this dimension.

Having the spring "Curved" helped a lot. Trying to do this with a Straight spring would require a much shorter compression on both sides.
Lou and Blue

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2016 12:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou and BlueSend a Private Message to Lou and BlueEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by NetCam:

When I did mine, I put the spring compressor on them and then tied them down with cargo straps and then removed the compressors. This left them smaller and easier to get in but without the bulk on the compressors to get in the way. Mine were lowering springs, so as Patrick said they're easier, but any compression you can get on them is going to make the job easier.

Great idea !!!

------------------
Founder / President
Long Island's Little Fiero Owners Club
L.I.L.F.O.C.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Blue" <= '85 Fiero GT 3800sc series 2
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Boo" <= '81 Delorean DMC-12, VIN #5835, Stock PRV engine, Peugot 604 Intake manifold, Exhaust headers, Anti-3rd brake light

Lou and Blue

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2016 12:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou and BlueSend a Private Message to Lou and BlueEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Lou and Blue

1349 posts
Member since Dec 2013
Gonna be doing this soon, but with eibach lowering
Springs
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2016 01:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You don't need to compress w/ methods above.

Very short:
Loosen LCA pivot bolts may or may not be required... Moog and other rubber and polly is not. OE rubber maybe. (All rubber will be easier to rotate LCA by loosening.)
Pop LBJ
Carefully let LCA to move down to Release most spring force. Use a floor jack set so can move in/out as LBJ end of LCA is lowered.
Carefully pull spring off LCA. Spring does have some pressure so don't put you in path of spring if springs or falls out of upper mount.

carefully bend new OE spring on the LCA then jack up the LBJ to attach LBJ.
Might need to block LCA close to vertical so can't move while bending the spring. I think I simple pulled on middle w/ hand and push w/ a foot at the bottom. (I did this in my driveway to restore bushings 10+ years ago.)

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 07-23-2016).]

cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2016 12:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I used a spring compressor to get the springs short enough, then installed some of those spring clamp/extenders that I had laying around- But it still was a bit of a chore- The straps look like they would work- but watch out for the straps deciding to suddenly get friendly with each other- They may slide together!

Patrick- Not foul language! It's FRENCH....Geeeeezzz....
PFF
System Bot
David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2016 12:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here's a link to what I did; pretty easy:

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/136267.html
Lou and Blue

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2016 08:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou and BlueSend a Private Message to Lou and BlueEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am redoing bushings so the control arms are out and I had to cut the bolts for the lowers so on installing fierostore bolts
Joseph Upson

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2016 09:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Joseph UpsonSend a Private Message to Joseph UpsonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Lou and Blue:
Gonna be doing this soon, but with eibach lowering
Springs

You'll be able to put those in by hand. Just don't forget to trim the bump stops or you'll be redoing it.
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2016 09:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yep, the Eibach springs go in pretty easy. Been there, done that.
Lou and Blue

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2016 09:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou and BlueSend a Private Message to Lou and BlueEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Awesome ! Thanks guys ! Maybe I can go return the loaner McPherson spring compressors to auto zone. The oem springs came out with the crowbar easy enough.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock