Does 84' 2.5 have MAT sensor? by mckaymotoworks
Started on: 02-03-2014 05:27 PM
Replies: 7 (229 views)
Last post by: Patrick on 02-04-2014 11:25 AM
mckaymotoworks

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2014 05:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mckaymotoworksClick Here to visit mckaymotoworks's HomePageSend a Private Message to mckaymotoworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I came across a thread on here which lead me to Ogre's article on the 4 CYL:
Ogre's 4 CYL DSI Ignition article

I was researching the cause of the stumble upon take off. FS doesn't show one available for the 4 CYL nor does NAPA, Autozone.
Looking on the P22, I also do not see it. If that's the case, how can you troubleshoot the stumble on a 84' 2.5?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2014 06:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No MAT sensor 84 - 86 2.5

87 & 88 2.5s do have one. All 6 cylinder engines have one.

Are your plugs reasonably new? Check your fuel pressure. If the fuel pressure is good then hook up a scanner cable and see if the ECM is seeing the inputs correctly.

I sell an OBD1 ALDL scanner cable that connects your Windows laptop to your GM OBD1 ALDL port. It works with all 2.5 & 2.8 Fiero engines. http://reddevilriver.com/aldl.html (shameless self promotion)

[This message has been edited by phonedawgz (edited 02-03-2014).]

mckaymotoworks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2014 06:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mckaymotoworksClick Here to visit mckaymotoworks's HomePageSend a Private Message to mckaymotoworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for clearing that up. Back to Search

[This message has been edited by mckaymotoworks (edited 02-03-2014).]

theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2014 07:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
See my Cave, Duke Quick Ref

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

mckaymotoworks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2014 08:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mckaymotoworksClick Here to visit mckaymotoworks's HomePageSend a Private Message to mckaymotoworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

See my Cave, Duke Quick Ref

(facepalm) Guess you really can look "too" hard for something.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2014 12:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mckaymotoworks:

I was researching the cause of the stumble upon take off... how can you troubleshoot the stumble on a 84' 2.5?

Make sure the air preheater, "thermac" system is fully installed and functional.
mckaymotoworks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2014 10:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mckaymotoworksClick Here to visit mckaymotoworks's HomePageSend a Private Message to mckaymotoworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This would be the sensor you are referring to, correct? Can it be cleaned or should it be replaced?
$41 GM Parts Direct

$69 ACDelco thermac

$71 NAPA thermac

Possible this may be a part of this issue/symptoms I posted this morning, no?
Intermittent idle pulsing

[This message has been edited by mckaymotoworks (edited 02-04-2014).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2014 11:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The air preheater, "thermac" system is more for cold-start driveability. If your engine is having issues after it's warmed up, I'd look elsewhere to recitify that.

I'd be hard pressed to buy new components at those prices. I'd test what I had, and if necessary, replace what's required from the wreckers (after testing them).

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 02-04-2014).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock