Rear Body repair after accicent?? by Ray_and_kevin
Started on: 01-30-2014 10:20 PM
Replies: 5 (301 views)
Last post by: BlackEmrald on 01-31-2014 10:52 PM
Ray_and_kevin

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2014 10:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Ray_and_kevinSend a Private Message to Ray_and_kevinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The 88 GT is presently in a wrecker lot with significant damage to the back end. Oddly, the late model pickup truck looked like it had significantly more damage. Pick up needed a tow truck and I probably could have driven the Fiero away.

So the question:
How hard is it to find the body panels for the back of an 88 GT?

We will need a new bumper (and probably all the stuff underneath). We will also need at least the left hand "Pontiac" brake and turn signal pieces. Depending, we will likely need a new rear deck since it got shoved up against the firewall. We certainly need the lower body pieces. We will also need the two pylons for the spoiler.

The rear deck is jammed so that we cannot get into the trunk to see what is up inside.

I figure the truck was going 40 MPH when he hit me while completely stopped. Shoved me all the way through the intersection right in front of the police cruiser that was trying to stop traffic. At least I have a *really* good witness to what happened!!.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
TheRealShadowX

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 73
Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2014 12:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TheRealShadowXSend a Private Message to TheRealShadowXEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
While it might appear that there is minimal damage to your GT, Fieros are notorious for hiding severe damage under the panels, as the panels can pop back out.

Before you start making any plans to restore the car, get it home and pull the whole rear apart. Look for more severe damage to the frame. Being as you live in Tx, hopefully you're lucky and your car is rust free. That might have helped the rear structure.

But if a truck plowed into you doing 40mph, I hate to be pessimistic, but I have very serious doubt that your Fiero survived that.

I do really hope I'm wrong though. Please keep us updated as you progress here.

------------------

Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2014 10:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
www.thefierofactory.com has many Fiero parts. But you will need to inspect to see what has been damaged, needs to be replaced or just straightened.
PribanicS

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2014 12:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PribanicSSend a Private Message to PribanicSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My fiero had a similar situation where a guy clipped my bumper going 40mph. It ripped my bumper off and besides a crack in the left corner of the bumper + scratches I was able to drive it away just by reattaching it. I am also curious if I can repair it myself. Maybe an epoxy? I also have a small crack in my taillight. I might just replace that whole thing though.

[This message has been edited by PribanicS (edited 01-31-2014).]

Ray_and_kevin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2014 10:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Ray_and_kevinSend a Private Message to Ray_and_kevinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had two different bumper issues when I lived near Philly and had an 86. The rubber (urethane??) gets really hard when very cold. Twice (one front, one back) the bumpers were backed into by another car and broke the plastic. There is no way that I know of to repair the urethane on these bumpers. You have to replace the whole thing.
BlackEmrald

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2014 10:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlackEmraldSend a Private Message to BlackEmraldEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The body panels aren't hard to get a hold of.

What IS hard to get a hold of are nice fastback taillights. Very hard and very expensive to find.

Get those body panels off and inspect the frame underneath. I am with the others, the car is probably toast. It needs to be measured on a frame rack.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock