Headlight Motor Control - Old School by Cajun
Started on: 01-29-2014 02:51 PM
Replies: 1 (170 views)
Last post by: Zeak on 01-29-2014 03:02 PM
Cajun

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2014 02:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CajunSend a Private Message to CajunEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have wanted to post this for some time now but for whatever the reason I just never got around to it. Quiet sometime ago I upgraded the headlight motors on my ’86 GT to Style II headlight motors but have never been able to get them to function properly. I have gone thru several headlight control modules, none of which have been 100% functional. Needless to say I was growing tired with having the headlight motors not functioning properly. So, until such time I locate a used headlight motor control module I decided to come up with a semi-permanent solution. In my quest to design something I decided to go old school. i.e. the same type of control circuit that is used in the 1965 Corvette. Oh, by the way, my ’86 GT shares the stable with my other ride, a ’65 Corvette Stingray.

To make the project happen I acquired the following items:
2 – 87-88 Headlight Motor Connector (Male 2-wire leads) – The Fiero Store
1 – Mom-On-Off- Mom-On 30A DPDT Toggle Switch – Radio Shack
1 – 20A Circuit breaker - AutoZone

The power is pulled from the Batt (Battery) Always hot power block that I have installed in the car. This was easy since I have relocated the battery to the front of the vehicle. Power is then fed to the headlight motor circuit via a 20A Circuit breaker.

I installed the control switch, a DPDT 30A Mom-On – Off – Mom-On switch in the position that was originally intended for the “Rear Window Defrost”. My ’86 GT is not equipped with “Read Window Defrost” making the switch installation a breeze.

I ran the feed wires for both headlight control motors and installed newly purchased “The Fiero Store” 87-88 Headlight Motor connectors. In the photo you will see that I left the OEM connector (Gray) intact. This is for future use in the event I locate a functional Headlight Motor Control Module.

The schematic for the project:

This was my solution to not having functional headlight motors. It maynot be feasible for your particular application but worked for me.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Zeak

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2014 03:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ZeakSend a Private Message to ZeakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Glad you got them working.
Thanks for the diagram also.

------------------

1988 Fiero 2.5

IP: Logged

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay