IdahoGT Red 86 by IdahoGT
Started on: 01-27-2014 01:08 AM
Replies: 39 (1616 views)
Last post by: IdahoGT on 08-06-2015 11:48 AM
IdahoGT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2014 01:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IdahoGTSend a Private Message to IdahoGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I thought it would be time to start a build thread away from the topic my son started a couple of years ago after I bought my Red 1986 GT. I decided to keep it stock for a while, while upgrading his car first, but now its my turn. I'm adding more and more things to the list, but so far the list of completed upgrades and changes are:

• New Waterpump
  • New 2003 GTP Gear Reduction Starter
  • New HR6 134a Compressor
  • New Rear Main Seal
  • New Pan Gasket
  • New Clutch
  • New Plugs
  • Rodney Dickman Slave Cylinder and Master Cylinder
  • Fierostore Cast Iron Clutch Arm
  • C5 Corvette front brakes with black zinc rotors
  • C4 Corvette rear brakes with black zinc rotors
  • DoubleC4 adapters
  • Full-size Blazer master cylinder
  • Street Dreams 2" lowered spindles
  • Custom big bearing front hubs with Camaro bearings drilled to 5x114.3
  • Fiero Fiberglass chin spoiler
  • Eibach Lowering Springs (rear)
  • 2013 Scion Wheels and Yokohama tires (225/45/18 rear and 225/40/18 front)
  • Custom hub centric 15mm wheel adapters (rear 5x114.3)
  • Fiero Side Scoop
  • Rodney Dickman Hurst Shifter
  • Late model AUX modified equalizer GTP stereo (Works with performance option)
  • Tang-Band 5.25" Subwoofer
  • Mr. Mikes Seats
  • Russ88T-Top Headliner, Sunshade, Visors, and Mirror Covers
  • 4" quad exhaust tips painted semi-gloss black
  • Tinted quarter windows
  • KYB front shocks
  • ALDL Bluetooth
  • New skeleton
  • Swapped dash
  • Red LED lights in the gauge pod
  • Upgraded deck lid switch with red LED angel-eye switch (looks awesome and works perfectly)
  • Upgraded oil pressure sender to 88-style sender - light now comes on at 10 psi instead of 20 psi3176
  • Polished 3-row Champion radiator
  • 176 degree fan switch

Pictures from this weekend:

[list=1]

[This message has been edited by IdahoGT (edited 07-15-2015).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
IXSLR8

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2014 01:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IXSLR8Send a Private Message to IXSLR8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice!

Have you ported your exhaust manifolds? You should do them, if you haven't, since you have your motor out. You will probably gain 6HP and better fuel mileage to help with the larger rotational mass of your new wheels and tires.
Fiero84Freak

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2014 08:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good job. You removed the engine the "easy" way

I echo the above. Since you have the Sprint Manifolds on your wish list, I'd just port what you have now and put the money elsewhere. Porting the stock manifolds actually does yield some gains because they're so incredibly restrictive - and it's free. There's a few guides here on PFF on the correct way to port them. If you eventually upgrade to the F-body 3.4L, then that would be a good time to consider the Sprints. You can then put that money towards other items on your list.
Grantman

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2014 08:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GrantmanSend a Private Message to GrantmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You looked so young and had so much more hair when you started your project! J/K. great job, lots of really neat improvments being made to your car. Talk about doing it right!

------------------
1986 Fiero GT Fastback 3.4Lpr with 4T60
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee with "big boy" 5.9 motor
1983 Honda Goldwing 1100 Interstate

mitchjl22

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2014 02:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm going to try to wire wheel my old manifolds, and port mine here at school. I like the recommendation on waiting for the sprint manifolds.

I'm going to get my old valve covers and engraved intake as well. My dads valve covers had some paint flaws.
mitchjl22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2014 04:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Almost forgot the most important pic!

mitchjl22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2014 03:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
fierogtlt1

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2014 02:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogtlt1Send a Private Message to fierogtlt1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Try the wheels with a red lip instead of all black.
dratts

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post02-07-2014 05:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for drattsSend a Private Message to drattsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice! I have two of those brand new f40s if you get that far. I'm never going to use them.
mitchjl22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2014 10:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Engine is back in... unfortunately, I suggested we double gasket the back manifold in-between the heat shield, and the head, and between the heat shield and the manifold. I hear an exhaust leak now. (We took the manifolds off to port them)

We put the rear lowering springs in as well.

-Mitch

mitchjl22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2014 12:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here's the Hurst shifter. Its taller than Rodney's comp II short shifter.

PFF
System Bot
fireboss

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2014 12:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for firebossSend a Private Message to firebossEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mitchjl22:

mitchjl22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2014 07:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had a little photo shoot today. Mr. Mikes were installed with heated seats. My dad can chime in if he wants to add anything.

-Mitch
mitchjl22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2014 12:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Exhaust Clip:

[This message has been edited by mitchjl22 (edited 03-20-2014).]

IdahoGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2014 02:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IdahoGTSend a Private Message to IdahoGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by IdahoGT (edited 03-31-2014).]

Diamond Dave

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-31-2014 03:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Diamond DaveSend a Private Message to Diamond DaveEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very nice.
IdahoGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2014 12:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IdahoGTSend a Private Message to IdahoGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you!

Just added:

- Tinted windows
- 4" Camaro tips painted semi-gloss black
- Wired in the seat heaters (they work awesome under my Mr. Mike's seats)
- The last picture is 7 horsepower worth of die grinding on the stock exhaust manifolds
IdahoGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2014 10:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IdahoGTSend a Private Message to IdahoGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Last weekend was a big one for Red....

Street Dreams 2" lowered spindles, 13" C5 Corvette rotors (drilled, slotted and black zinc coated) and calipers up front with 12" C4's in the rear.

IdahoGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2014 10:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IdahoGTSend a Private Message to IdahoGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

IdahoGT

44 posts
Member since Jul 2013
IdahoGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2014 10:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IdahoGTSend a Private Message to IdahoGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

IdahoGT

44 posts
Member since Jul 2013
IdahoGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2014 10:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IdahoGTSend a Private Message to IdahoGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

IdahoGT

44 posts
Member since Jul 2013
PFF
System Bot
IdahoGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2014 10:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IdahoGTSend a Private Message to IdahoGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Also added a high flow MagnaFlow cat in addition to the DT Sport muffler. It has a really nice exhaust note now with a lot less back pressure.

mitchjl22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2014 11:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post06-08-2014 12:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not sure how this thread escaped me?

Amazing looking car! You and your son are both top notch individuals. Great taste in mods. Hopefully I will see you fine folks again.
IdahoGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2014 02:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IdahoGTSend a Private Message to IdahoGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Tony! Looking forward to seeing you again this August!!!!

Jim
Sourmug

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2014 05:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IdahoGT:

Looks Great!

Nolan
Sourmug

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2014 06:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Sourmug

4538 posts
Member since Sep 2002
Oops, double post.

[This message has been edited by Sourmug (edited 06-08-2014).]

IdahoGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2014 05:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IdahoGTSend a Private Message to IdahoGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by IdahoGT (edited 07-08-2014).]

IdahoGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2014 01:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IdahoGTSend a Private Message to IdahoGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Added tinted quarter windows, KYB shocks up front. ALDL bluetooth. Busy day today!

IdahoGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2014 12:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IdahoGTSend a Private Message to IdahoGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I decided to swap out my broken and brittle skeleton and my dash with broken corners for new ones I found at my local Pick-A-Part.... The only mistake I made was doing it today when it was 103 degrees.....

I also added red LED's as well...

[This message has been edited by IdahoGT (edited 07-15-2014).]

IdahoGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2014 01:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IdahoGTSend a Private Message to IdahoGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Exhaust clip

[This message has been edited by IdahoGT (edited 08-05-2014).]

PFF
System Bot
IdahoGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2014 12:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IdahoGTSend a Private Message to IdahoGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
"Red" at Northwest Fierofest!!!

IdahoGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2014 12:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IdahoGTSend a Private Message to IdahoGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

IdahoGT

44 posts
Member since Jul 2013
Getting ready for the long drive to the show....

mitchjl22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2014 03:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looking good. I'm uploading videos for you now.

-Mitch
Vanet

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2014 03:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VanetSend a Private Message to VanetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
very nice car.
mitchjl22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2014 03:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
mitchjl22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2015 03:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You're going to hit the archives dad! Where's and update?

-Mitch
Ponnari

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2015 07:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PonnariSend a Private Message to PonnariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sweet!
IdahoGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2015 01:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IdahoGTSend a Private Message to IdahoGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What happens when you jack her up from the rear...

[

Polished Champion radiator...

C5 brakes and Scion tC rims...

Red and Jewell in their new home...

[This message has been edited by IdahoGT (edited 07-15-2015).]

IdahoGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2015 11:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IdahoGTSend a Private Message to IdahoGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just acquired this 1900 mile Series II for Red. We'll be upgrading it and installing it this fall. Can't wait to have some power!

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock