Enviro-Safe Refrigerant by fiero5150
Started on: 01-24-2014 08:36 PM
Replies: 6 (429 views)
Last post by: cmechmann on 01-26-2014 01:42 PM
fiero5150

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2014 08:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero5150Send a Private Message to fiero5150Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Has anyone used the Enviro-Safe Refrigerant in place of R134 in the A/C system? Any comments, good or bad? Thanks.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
tesmith66

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2014 07:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have used their r-22 replacement and it is wonderful. I used their leak sealer and refrigerant in my downstairs central AC unit after the AC guy told me he couldn't fix the leak. Ran it for 3 years with no trouble until it locked up (it was over 30 years old). I then inherited a newer unit from a coworker (it's only 20 years old) installed it and ran it on ES-22 all last summer. Works fantastic. It takes less ES-22 than r-22 in the system to get the same level of cooling, therefore it's easier on the compressor and more efficient. It's compatible with all oils, too.

Saved me several hundred dollars.

------------------
1986 SE Aero coupe.

3.4 DOHC swap is complete and running, now just have to finish the rest of the car...

[This message has been edited by tesmith66 (edited 01-25-2014).]

steve308

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2014 07:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As long a you and only you will be making repairs on the system it is a viable alternative. BE SURE to clearly mark the system with the provided tags and install the dedicated fittings. I used Freeze 12 (when it was available) with great success BUT no shop would make a repair that required hooking up recycling equipment. When Freeze 12 was discontinued and my system leaked out I had to do a new retro-fit back to 134 ----- no problems and ice cold!
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2014 12:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What legal for EPA doesn't matter.
USDOT/NHTSA only allows R12 and R134a in old and newer models of vehicles.
New R1234yf is only for very new cars. Carmakers need to redesign the entire system before using the new refrigerant.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

cmechmann

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2014 01:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cmechmannSend a Private Message to cmechmannEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Doing A/C work at a national shop, I have to be certified in recovery. The biggest problem any time new refridgerents come out is knowing what is in the systems. Too many take it upon their self and introduce them into their systems. With out making all needed changes. The times of the R12 "blends" were a disaster. The 1234yf refridgerent is not available to the aftermarket that I'm aware of.
That we have been shown it is, only being used now in higher end vehicles and hybrids. The refridgerent is compatible with the current hoses seals and hardware, but not with any of the oils. Being that the oils migrate into all of the current parts(seals, hoses, and hardware) it is not a cost effective retrofit.
It does however have like pressure properties of the older R12 system which use a lower high side pressure than R134a. Reducing some of the heat, energy and harshness on components found with R134a.
However, when R134a came out it was supposed to be (enviro friendly) replacement for R12. Later studies shown it to be more harmful that originally thought. Not as bad as R12, but still damaging to the ozone. Sometimes it takes several years to see the final effects. This may be why it is not more main stream.
It may be of limited use until more studies have been completed. But the properties of it look promising. It could even make self contained (12v electric compressor)systems more viable.
BrittB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2014 01:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BrittBSend a Private Message to BrittBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No matter what you are using, do you still have to have the system professionally recovered before you can add the new stuff? I may be looking at a Compressor replacement but I want to do the work myself.
cmechmann

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2014 01:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cmechmannSend a Private Message to cmechmannEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If it becomes available. And you already have teflon layered barrier hoses(came out after 1992) you still need to have the old freon recovered, replace ALL seals(including the internal seals in the compressor(rebuild), change the accumulator and flush the system before changing.

[This message has been edited by cmechmann (edited 01-26-2014).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock