Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  E-Brake lever problem, no ratchet action - not catching to set E-Brake

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
E-Brake lever problem, no ratchet action - not catching to set E-Brake by hdryder
Started on: 01-18-2014 03:15 PM
Replies: 4 (132 views)
Last post by: hdryder on 01-19-2014 11:36 AM
hdryder

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2014 03:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hdryderSend a Private Message to hdryderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The E-Brake lever on a '88 GT that I towed home a few years ago is not working.
It took me a couple of years to get around to working on it, and now am I trying to get it road ready.
It may have not work for a while, but this is the first I have noticed it, as I finally got it running after a trans. swap.

The lever has some rust on it, and it acts like the release button may be stuck on.

What is the proper way to remove the release button handle, if that is what is needed to get to the repair issue?

Any other ideas very welcome.

Thanks for the help.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2014 03:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Level need tension from the cable to work.
helper Pulls on cable when you try to release lever.

If level has problems...
remove seat, plastic trim and boot for access the level.

See my Cave, Brake Service etc.
88 have some changes but works same as 84-87 Fiero brakes.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 01-18-2014).]

hdryder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2014 03:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hdryderSend a Private Message to hdryderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
theogre,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I have the seat out, gray plastic trim panel out, and lever boot off.

I just compared it to my '87 GT daily driver, and the release button is definitely pushed in and stuck in the release position.

I can push the smaller metal lever, inside the larger lever, to push out the orange release button, and then the lever will ratchet.
It must be the rust issue in the lever.

Do you think spraying with PB Blaster may help with a rust issue that may be causing the stuck in issue?

[This message has been edited by hdryder (edited 01-18-2014).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2014 04:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Maybe.
use least amount of oil.

just try moving the part by hand first Then "Dry" Teflon spay.
Dry Teflon doesn't smell for days to weeks after.
hdryder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2014 11:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hdryderSend a Private Message to hdryderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Does anyone know how to correctly remove the black plastic handle on the Parking Brake lever for repair/service?

I soaked the inner metal lever connected to the orange release button yesterday, but today I still need to push it up manually to get the release button back out to make the Parking Brake lever ratchet and set the brake. I am thinking there must be some crude under the black plastic handle that I need to clean out.

Thanks for the help.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock