Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Moving Fiero out of garage with no rear cradle installed....?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Moving Fiero out of garage with no rear cradle installed....? by esco105
Started on: 01-17-2014 08:37 AM
Replies: 19 (506 views)
Last post by: jaymelk2 on 01-19-2014 07:47 AM
esco105

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2014 08:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for esco105Send a Private Message to esco105Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi guys, I was wondering if any of you have ever had to move your project car around or in/out of the garage with no rear cradle in order to work on something else. I might have this issue and need to move my fiero that is on my lift in my garage with no rear cradle in it. How did you do it? With dollys? Not sure of the safest way. ANy help would be appreciated. Thanks.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
conan469

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2014 08:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for conan469Click Here to visit conan469's HomePageSend a Private Message to conan469Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OTC used to (still?) make a large adjustable bar with two very large caster wheels, you would bolt it to the rear most subframe mounts and it would give you a rolling chassis
harbor freight or a farm and fleet type store might sell large caster wheels you could bolt to the rear subframe mounts
esco105

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2014 08:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for esco105Send a Private Message to esco105Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Conan, I'll do some research and try to find what you're talking about.
esco105

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2014 08:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for esco105Send a Private Message to esco105Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

esco105

151 posts
Member since Jul 2010
Ok I found them, called frame dollys, unfortunately they are $250/pr.! Yikes! Thanks for the info though.
Ducati Jones

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2014 09:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Ducati JonesSend a Private Message to Ducati JonesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Might be cheaper to buy a pallet jack. You could stack a few pallets under the car to get the height you want and use the pallet jack to move the car around.
conan469

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2014 09:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for conan469Click Here to visit conan469's HomePageSend a Private Message to conan469Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by esco105:

Ok I found them, called frame dollys, unfortunately they are $250/pr.! Yikes! Thanks for the info though.

and that's why i mentioned the harbor freight caster wheel option
6 in caster
timinator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2014 11:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for timinatorSend a Private Message to timinatorEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I use engine hoist/cherry picker hooked to rear hood latch. I have also used $9 wooden mover's dollys from harbor freight under jacking points. If the floor is smooth they work good and are cheap. They usually are rated around 1000 lbs each.
timinator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2014 11:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for timinatorSend a Private Message to timinatorEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

timinator

24 posts
Member since May 2013
I use engine hoist/cherry picker hooked to rear hood latch. I have also used $9 wooden mover's dollys from harbor freight under jacking points. If the floor is smooth they work good and are cheap. They usually are rated around 1000 lbs each.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2014 12:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I rolled an entire space frame out of my garage into the driveway on one furniture dolly.
You should be able to place one under the rear floor or under the trunk (if it doesn't crunch in) and accomplish what you want, if the floor is smooth enough.

------------------
Raydar
88 Formula IMSA Fastback. 4.9, NVG T550

Praise the Lowered!

NetCam

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2014 08:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NetCamClick Here to visit NetCam's HomePageSend a Private Message to NetCamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wouldn't recommend moving the car with the hoist attached to the hood latch. I've seen a few cases where it broke and the car came crashing down. It wasn't designed to take the weight. Better off to attach to the strut towers.

Not the best pic, but this is a bar made from an old bed rail

[This message has been edited by NetCam (edited 01-17-2014).]

Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2014 08:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Reallybig had a nice set up that he built to move his car around. If you have a welder, check it out...about 2/3 of the way down the first page of his build post:

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/122389.html

Originally posted by timinator:

You really shouldn't use the rear latch to lift the car. It is an accident waiting to happen...possible with deadly results. There are many posts talking about the better ways to lift it (e.g. bumper with the molding off, bar across the strut mounts, or 4x4 with a jack under car just forward of cradle mounts...all safe methods). Do a quick search and then do it safely. The latch is not designed for anywhere near the weight!
PFF
System Bot
Custom2M4

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2014 09:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Custom2M4Send a Private Message to Custom2M4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just build a 2x4 structure under the frame rails, with side supports and then rest it on a cheap centered furniture dolly. The rear frame isn't that heavy.

------------------

Dodgerunner

Feedback score:    (61)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 323
Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2014 09:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I either use my gantry to roll it around. If it's being used I used two of the Harbor Freight dollies cross connected together with 2x4's then built an A shaped vertical on each with a stud on top that goes up into the rear cradle bolt holes.
Cost around $25 total if you get the dollies on sale.
Reallybig

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2014 10:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ReallybigSend a Private Message to ReallybigEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
About 3/4 of the way down on page 1 you'll find my solution to moving a fiero around w/o a cradle. If you get to the clutch pictures, you've gone too far. //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/122389.html
mitchjl22

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2014 02:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Buy a 4x4 at store of your choice, measure distance between both rear cradle bolts. Cut your 4x4. Put a jack in the middle, push.

If you feel its unstable, drill holes and bolt the 4x4 to the frame, then jack and roll it around.
Sage

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 69
Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2014 08:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SageSend a Private Message to SageEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Was faced with this same situation recently. I happened to have an old scrap cradle from an 86 laying around (rusted to sh**t) and a pair of rear hubs that were beyond practical use. Took two "T" pipe fittings (I believe they were around an inch I.D.) and welded them to the cradle in the right spot, used an old bar from a weight set (barbell) and after seperating the hubs from the bearings, fitted them to the bar through the pipe fittings. Basically a "trailing axle" set up. Went to this much bother because I wanted to have something I could use again, and mostly cause I already had everything. Wouldn't be practical if you had to buy the stuff to make it. If you wanted to go one further and put bearings in the pipe fittings, it could probably be used to tow with as well, but I just wanted something I could roll around to move the car.

It also occurred to me that if you had one of those single wheel trailer set ups, the ones that are mounted on the tounge of a trailer that is used to move it around when not being used, it wouldn't be too hard to adapt something to bolt it to the frame on a Fiero and would accomplish the same thing.
HAGO!
timinator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2014 07:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for timinatorSend a Private Message to timinatorEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry, I should have specified I have only lifted the rear of the car by the latch with the motor/trans and cradle out. I wouldnt try it with the guts still in. I assumed motor was also out. I didnt mean to suggest something distructive.
timinator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2014 07:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for timinatorSend a Private Message to timinatorEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

timinator

24 posts
Member since May 2013
Sorry, I should have specified I have only lifted the rear of the car by the latch with the motor/trans and cradle out. I wouldnt try it with the guts still in. I assumed motor was also out. I didnt mean to suggest something distructive.
Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2014 10:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by timinator:

That was assumed...but the latch is not designed for that load (i.e. rear end even without engine). You risk it ripping out and the car dropping. If this happens, you risk injury or major damage to the car or engine. It's not worth it, when there are many better ways to lift the car.
jaymelk2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2014 07:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaymelk2Send a Private Message to jaymelk2Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I guess I'm just a bull in a China shop but my 16 year old son and I just got inside the engine bay...picked up the rear and walked it out.

------------------
87 GT....SBC...fast as hell...
Proud new owner of....THE DIRTY RAT

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock