Speedhut gauge face install? by grkboy707
Started on: 12-19-2013 08:40 PM
Replies: 9 (369 views)
Last post by: ltlfrari on 12-20-2013 10:50 AM
grkboy707

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2013 08:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for grkboy707Send a Private Message to grkboy707Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
While I'm working on getting a working speedometer, I purchased some gauge faces. I get the general idea, but what do I do with all the light bulbs? I'd imagine I take them out, but what about the light for the odometer/tripometer? And the needles? Please help
Thanks,
Greg
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2013 09:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The bulbs all come out. See my writeup here:
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...110502-1-079644.html
grkboy707

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2013 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for grkboy707Send a Private Message to grkboy707Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've read that before actually! Totally forgot about it. But do the gauges light the needle and odometer?
BrittB

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2013 09:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BrittBSend a Private Message to BrittBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Do they still sell these?
grkboy707

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2013 10:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for grkboy707Send a Private Message to grkboy707Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, but hopefully you don't get the same woman I had helping me. Literally took me 30 minutes to explain to her what a "gauge face" is, and that I see on the website that they sell those. Explore the website, have some fun you will need to call them, once you play with the "customize your gauges" to find out exactly what you need. Only costed me like $70 with shipping
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2013 10:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by grkboy707:

.....But do the gauges light the needle and odometer?

No they don't. You can leave in the bulbs if you like.
grkboy707

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2013 11:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for grkboy707Send a Private Message to grkboy707Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Have you done this? If so, which method did you use, and how does it look?
Fiero84Freak

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2013 11:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have some older set of the Speedhut gauges in - I actually like them because they are a near exactly match to the stock gauges, just white face.

Sorry I don't seem to have a photo of them lit up.

Mine are wired into the dimmer switch for power, with auxiliary controls in where the defrost button would normally be (my car doesn't have defrost). It has a dimmer switch separate from the main dimmer to control just the gauge faces, with a toggle to change them from blue to a bluish-green tint.

They are attached to the stock faces using 3M double-sided tape. The little needle stops have to be removed so the face can slip over and into position. You can leave the needles be as long as you don't let the backside of the gauge face touch the stock gauge (you'll have to put the tape on the backside before you move them into position).

I left the light bulbs in. The ones on the needles have to be left in, otherwise the needles won't illuminate properly. The only major thing is there is very minor bleeding on the sides at some angles, but it's not overly distracting.
grkboy707

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2013 07:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for grkboy707Send a Private Message to grkboy707Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Alrighty, thanks guys. I think what I'll try is start with stock bulbs, but I maybe get those LED 194 bulbs and possibly even chrome the orange part.
ltlfrari

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2013 10:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rodney sells (or used to anyway) a set of 'high power' 194 bulbs for the instrument panel as a kit.
I have a set in my 85 and it made a big difference to the instrument panel at night (I can actually see it now !).

------------------
Anything I might say is probably worth what you paid for it, so treat it accordingly!

Dave

www.ltlfrari.com

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock