Dual Driving/Fog Lights by eunospeed
Started on: 12-10-2013 05:59 PM
Replies: 18 (1006 views)
Last post by: theogre on 12-12-2013 04:38 PM
eunospeed

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2013 05:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for eunospeedSend a Private Message to eunospeedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Guys, I'm looking to replace my parking lights in the bumper with a dual fog/driving light. I want to put a yellow bulb in the fog light and use as a blinker and then the driving light would come on when I have the parking lights on. Here's a possible solution:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Opt...em1c38ea0f59&vxp=mtr
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2013 07:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you get 'em, get 'em for less. http://www.autoanything.com...jzprsCFYZi7Aod3DYACQ

They're also available at Sears.
Arns85GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2013 07:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The wattage on a fog or driving light is much higher than a signal light. You will be taxing the circuit to use the fog light as a turn signal.

You could use the lower wattage bulb in the fog spot though, provided you have the correct holder.

I mounted fog/driving lamps in the opening for the front grill and moved my licence plate to the driver side under the turn signal

That seems to work very well.

Arn
eunospeed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2013 08:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for eunospeedSend a Private Message to eunospeedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good point, wonder if 35W bulbs would be a better option. I don't want blown fuses and melted wires.
eunospeed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2013 08:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for eunospeedSend a Private Message to eunospeedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

eunospeed

342 posts
Member since Sep 2002
http://www.ebay.com/itm/FKG...on-12V-/370951872591 If I go with LED's I wouldn't have to worry about load but would still need to replace the blinker module. Thoughts?
falcon_ca

Feedback score:    (26)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2013 09:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for falcon_caSend a Private Message to falcon_caEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I used the same Optilux dual beam in my setup.

I run a fused wire from the battery and used a 2 relays setup to compensate the lack of power on the stock wires.

------------------
"I'm not driving too fast, . . . I'm just flying too low."

Work done 07-08 | Work done 08-09 | Work done 09-10 | Work done 10-11 | Work done 11-12 | Work done 12-13 |Work done 13-14 4.9 Swap |Parts for sale

fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2013 11:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
falcon_ca, can the two bulb circuits be separated or are they tied together? The purpose of asking is I'm looking for something to replace flushmounts. I want a similar dual bulb housing that I can wire into the high and low beam circuits of the headlight system. The flushmounts I have are useless at night. Do they illuminate well enough to use as headlights, with one bulb being used for low beam and the 2nd combining for high beam?
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2013 08:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
First read my Cave, LED Marker Light
It shows how marker light works.
Why? Likely Relay circuit above kills marker lamp. I'm not sure if park/turn even works right.

Driving light next to turn/park can drown out t/p bulb when t/p is on.
Means you could get a ticket for this.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2013 12:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In Ohio, its illegal to drive with fog lights on except in fog conditions. Its also illegal to operate driving lites inside city limits. Not saying its strictly enforced. It also dont make driving with OEM driving lights illegal (which dont make sense). Check your area laws before doing anything other than stock.
eunospeed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2013 12:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for eunospeedSend a Private Message to eunospeedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the feedback.... the wiring diagram is very helpful.

Ogre, your site seems to indicate if reverse polarity LED bulbs are used they would work just fine. Am I reading this correctly?

Might tie the blinker/parking light into one side of the light and wire the driving light side on another independent circuit and control it thru a switch under the dash.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2013 01:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

Its also illegal to operate driving lites inside city limits. Not saying its strictly enforced. It also dont make driving with OEM driving lights illegal (which dont make sense).

OEM Daytime Running Lights (DLR) run at reduced power, usually the high beam. (at least on my van).

Did the same light mod on my GT years ago.

I started with something like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/220...em45f913c8b2&vxp=mtr

I replaced the bulb in the smaller side with a 194 socket and amber bulb to use as the flasher signal lamp.

I wired the 55W clear driving light side to a Daytime Running Light (DLR) module.
It runs at reduced power as a parking light and has FULL power only when I use the high beams on the headlights.

I used a universal DRL kit (as below) available through AC Delco and Goodwrench at the time.
Looks the same as the Grote 44060 DLR module kit http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=...earch&tag=mozilla-20

V8Buick writeup http://www.v8buick.com/show...%29-for-Classic-Cars

------------------
Calgary time/temp

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT Click me
Super Duty 4 Indy #163 Click me

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 12-11-2013).]

PFF
System Bot
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2013 04:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Don't some of the European countries require dual lights, with one being amber? Seems Australia has the same requirement. A light may be available that is made for the Fiero. Maybe PM AusFiero or proff to see what's available?
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2013 05:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:

OEM Daytime Running Lights (DLR) run at reduced power, usually the high beam. (at least on my van).

I wired the 55W clear driving light side to a Daytime Running Light (DLR) module.
It runs at reduced power as a parking light and has FULL power only when I use the high beams on the headlights.

Daytime running lights and driving lights are completely different things. If you use what appears to be an aftermarket driving light, even if you modify it like your DTL kit does, you might still have trouble explaining that to a cop whos determined your lights are illegal. You might talk him into it, but he still might ticket you and you would have to take the time to go to court to prove otherwise. Even if you do win, you still had to go thru the hassle. Remember, Im only talkin about Ohio...I dont know the law anywhere else. I had a full custom Dodge van in the 70s. I took out the OEM sealed beams and installed dual driving lights, taking care to aim each one correctly so one pair was high beam and other was low beam. I got a hefty ticket for them because a cop saw them during the day because they didnt look right. The court didnt see it my way either. I paid it and kept them, but didnt get stopped for them again (luck).

falcon_ca

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2013 06:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for falcon_caSend a Private Message to falcon_caEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

First read my Cave, LED Marker Light
It shows how marker light works.
Why? Likely Relay circuit above kills marker lamp. I'm not sure if park/turn even works right.

Driving light next to turn/park can drown out t/p bulb when t/p is on.
Means you could get a ticket for this.

No problem with the marker light and everything works find.

------------------

Work done 07-08 | Work done 08-09 | Work done 09-10 | Work done 10-11 | Work done 11-12 | Work done 12-13 |Work done 13-14 4.9 Swap |Parts for sale

falcon_ca

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2013 06:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for falcon_caSend a Private Message to falcon_caEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

falcon_ca

1291 posts
Member since Dec 2007

Originally posted by fierofool:

falcon_ca, can the two bulb circuits be separated or are they tied together? The purpose of asking is I'm looking for something to replace flushmounts. I want a similar dual bulb housing that I can wire into the high and low beam circuits of the headlight system. The flushmounts I have are useless at night. Do they illuminate well enough to use as headlights, with one bulb being used for low beam and the 2nd combining for high beam?

Both sides are independent. Yes they illuminate a lot but I am not sure if its legal in your area to use such setup.

I am not familiar with the high/low beam setup but I am pretty sure something can be done. The secret here is to setup a trigger to activate your relay.

------------------

Work done 07-08 | Work done 08-09 | Work done 09-10 | Work done 10-11 | Work done 11-12 | Work done 12-13 |Work done 13-14 | 4.9 Swap |Parts for sale

retroman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2013 04:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for retromanSend a Private Message to retromanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
eunospeed, I'm not sure you are aware or maybe it's not quite what you are looking for, but TLG sells two stage LED driving lights: http://www.tlg-auto.com/Fie...ED_p/fieroled023.htm
They come with clear lenses and IMHO, make it easy to have a little extra white light down low for fogs while still maintaining an OEM look and still staying legal by emitting yellow light when the turn signal is engaged. Just thought I'd throw out the suggestion since it hadn't been mentioned already....
masospaghetti

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2013 12:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for masospaghettiSend a Private Message to masospaghettiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Why not add a couple driving lights inside the grille area, and keep the stock turn signals? The rectangle ones made by Pilot fit perfect in there.

eunospeed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2013 01:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for eunospeedSend a Private Message to eunospeedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by retroman:

eunospeed, I'm not sure you are aware or maybe it's not quite what you are looking for, but TLG sells two stage LED driving lights: http://www.tlg-auto.com/Fie...ED_p/fieroled023.htm
They come with clear lenses and IMHO, make it easy to have a little extra white light down low for fogs while still maintaining an OEM look and still staying legal by emitting yellow light when the turn signal is engaged. Just thought I'd throw out the suggestion since it hadn't been mentioned already....

Yeah I've been to their web site and I thought about that as a possible solution. But, I would rather have a dual as we've discussed so far. Nice thing about the Optilux Dual Beam lights is I can run get a real increase on light output at night and at the same time modernize the car a little. I like Falcon_ca's wiring diagram but I would likely not wire the driving light into the ignition but rather wire it to a switch inside so I can control it when needed. Still thinking about LED bulbs too.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2013 04:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by retroman:

Sorry but Color only does not = legal.
Brightness of turn vs. park/fog/etc lights on same bulb or bulbs close to turn bulb matter too.

Fog/driver in Fiero's "grill" area might or not cause problems. Depending how their mounted.
Fog/driver/DRL that shares space w/ turn lamp is a problem in many cases. Many New cars w/ DRL turn off one or both DRL when turn signal is active for this reason.

You may pass inspection and still get a ticket for illegal lighting. Could be equipment or moving violation. maybe both. Depends on the cop etc. Most Moving violation have points. Most equipment tickets don't.

If you drive in others states... what's legal in home state could be illegal in next state you drive in/thru. Cops love to ticket out of state cars. Example, many Years ago I lived in NY... Stud Snow Tires were legal in NY and OH but Not in PA. PA would stake out I90 and stop any car w/ stud tires. PA made a huge amount of $ for ticketing NY and OH drivers.

Note EU laws are different... I think, can't find my notes...
UK etc use white and dim park light, amber and bright for turn light.
They change rules for front side markers too. US Fiero marker setup is illegal in UK. UK/EU uses separate side turn light behind front wheel.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock