Another way to retrofit HID projectors by joeschuit
Started on: 12-06-2013 11:41 PM
Replies: 6 (1126 views)
Last post by: hairballrm on 04-03-2014 11:55 AM
joeschuit

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2013 11:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for joeschuitSend a Private Message to joeschuitEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi all, first post, long time lurker. I've spent many hours researching the subject of better lighting and more hours driving with the stock sealed beam halogens. I've purchased sylvania xtra-vision sealed beam halogens earlier in the year and have also gotten both headlight buckets to go up and down. I've become jealous of all the options available thanks to many fiero enthusiasts. I first looked into solid mount projectors that would do away with motorized buckets. I was turned off by the price and light cutoff from being sunk in. I then looked into modifying the current bucket with projectors, thus having the total open height about half. In the end, I opted to not cut up anything and just have a simple swap. I'll try to outline the basics and answer any questions you may have.

Here is the stock headlights. I tried to adjust them as best as possible, but the light is all over the place.

This is the DS2 HID projector I bought: http://www.amazon.com/gp/pr...00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
And the HID system. More on this kit later: http://www.amazon.com/gp/pr...00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

When I spent many hours researching the different ways to fit a projector to the stock bucket, I ran into halogen and HID projectors. Many people used halogen because of a length issue. This is true. If you were to set this HID projector into an aftermarket h6054 headlight, the back of the bulb/projector assembly will keep the headlight door from closing. In order to keep proper clearance, you need to space the projector forward 1.5". Surprisingly, you have this space in front of the headlight bucket assembly and won't interfere with anything. I'll explain.

Some simple aluminum rod extensions attached to the projector. This is nice because the heavy projector is being supported on all four corners for bounce free light.

I went to the junkyard and picked up an extra set of headlight bucket assemblies for modification. I stripped them down and started with the metal headlight bucket. I cut out about a 3" circle, making sure that its parallel to the mounting points.

I then cut out 16 gauge(1/16") 3" diameter circles to fill in the back. The center hole is for the back of the projector to protrude through.

At this point I measured and remeasured to make sure the rear disk is properly centered to the headlight bucket and tig'd it in place. There't no adjustment if the projector is crooked.

I powdercoated the buckets(harbor freight special with good polyester powder) and installed the projectors. You can see the two small wires coming from the high-beam solenoid.

The next problem is now the projector sits 1.5 inches out from the bucket. A simple, flat cover wouldn't work. A quick trip to the home depot got me 5 pieces of polycarbonate(lexan) 8x10 sheets, 0.093" thick. They're about $4.25 a piece so you can mess up a few times. I made up a simple wood frame to hold the lexan. I took the headlight trim ring and copied the inner size to the wood. That way when the lexan stretches, it still leaves a flat surface to bolt onto the trim ring. A quick trip to the goodwill got me a round glass paper weight that will give me the correct spherical shape.

I used my industrial size toaster oven(mainly used for powdercoating) for heating the lexan. Ideally, you should heat the lexan to 250 degrees for 4-6 hours to get the moisture out. This is usually a bigger deal with thicker sheets but I still ran into issues. You need to heat the lexan to 350-375 degrees to get it flexible. However, it will only take about 10-12 minutes to get it up to temp. You'll see it start to sag. Count to 25 and pull it, making quick work to get it on the "mould". If you wait longer, you'll start to see small airbubbles form inside the lexan and you'll need to scrap it.

Here's the first one I did. I didn't use this one because the bubble wasn't located correctly. You can see the holes I drilled in the trim ring. I used 4-40 screws to hold in the lens.

Here's how it looks in the car. Note the height of the rear of the projector with the bulb connector. This is the problem area and in my case, it is well below the pivot point and have no clearance issues.

I'm not using any bezels on the projectors, so I need to paint the inside of the lenses to keep out "extra" light. I opted for spraycan plasticoat. It took 3-4 coats, tested with a flashlight for lightspots. I tested the lights to see how close I could get with the paint.

After some assembly, here's a front view compared to the original:

After wiring in the HID ballasts and the lowbeam/highbeam wiring mod, I was in business.

Here's the lowbeam/highbeam. I should've messed with the white balance. In reality it is a pure white with a tinge of blue, same for the other pics.

Here's some looking down the road, lowbeam/highbeam:

So far I'm very happy with the results. I've been driving with this setup for about a month. After a week or so, the left bulb wouldn't fire. I would have to pull power from the right ballast, turn off and turn on the lights, then it would turn on. I thought it was a power delivery/ground issue. After adding a relay and two extra grounds, it turns out to be a bad bulb. I used 6000k bulbs originally. I've recently purchased morimoto 3Five 5000k bulbs as a replacement. I'll update this when I get them tomorrow.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2013 12:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice work. Can you show a close-up pic of the painted lens...
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2013 12:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice work. Nice work indeed!
doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2013 01:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very nice work! I like them!
joeschuit

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2013 10:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for joeschuitSend a Private Message to joeschuitEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't have any extra pics of the painted lens. It was just a simple masking of the center circle on the inside and spraying it with the plastidip. The morimoto 5000k bulbs came in today. I've read that it takes about 30 hours or so of break in so I'll post up some picks when I rack up some hours. So far they are both working just fine and there is no hint of blue or yellow, just pure white. Thanks, Joe
joeschuit

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2013 09:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for joeschuitSend a Private Message to joeschuitEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would've had pics up sooner but the transmission decided to seize a syncro hub. The new bulbs are working out great and I've had no issues over the past week. Color is pure white and has slightly better light output than the 6000k, as expected.

hairballrm

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2014 11:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hairballrmClick Here to visit hairballrm's HomePageSend a Private Message to hairballrmEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is great work!
And done on a budget.
One of the cool things it appears you have done is seal outside atmosphere from the projector.
This cannot be understated as you do not want dust film on the backside of the lens and reflector.

Nice!

------------------
"Now you too can see in the dark."
http://projectorretrofit.com/ Please Like me on Facebook

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay