Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Another Simple job Turns Bad (Rear Suspension)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Another Simple job Turns Bad (Rear Suspension) by animal
Started on: 12-05-2013 06:26 PM
Replies: 14 (417 views)
Last post by: animal on 12-07-2013 03:31 PM
animal

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2013 06:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for animalSend a Private Message to animalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've got new knuckles to install on the rear of my rust bucket Indy and another simple task has eaten up a few hours already. I'm trying to install the seals in the rear knuckles and so far there is no way they will go in. The manual says "drive it in with a slightly smaller socket." Well the closest thing I can come to a slightly smaller socket is a heavy duty flashlight, But no matter how I do it, including greasing/sanding the knuckle the seals will not go in straight. I get one side in and thats it - lopsided. There has got to be an easier way to do this. Can someone clue me in - please??
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
84fiero123

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2013 06:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Block of wood, short block of wood and tap it in ever so lightly on opposite sides if the flashlight you are using is long that is your problem, when you get it cocked that's when the block of wood will work, set it on the opposite side and tap that side in ever so lightly, then back and forth if you have to. or drill a hole in the block if need be. just take your time and tap it.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2013 07:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
axle seal?
See my Cave, Axle

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2013 07:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Like posted above, use a block of wood and a hammer. Put the seal squarely against the hub and do the same for the block of wood against the seal. Now with hammer in hand draw back like your starting a flooded lawn mower and smack the block of wood square in the middle. Mark an X on the wood if you have to and if you hit it absolutely square, logic says it has no place to go but in.

This is however an all or nothing method and there's no second chance for the seal if you miss your mark. You could also put the seal in a Sub_Zero freezer overnight and who knows, it just might drop right in.

Spoon

------------------
"Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne." - Kurt Vonnegut

lateFormula

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2013 07:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lateFormulaSend a Private Message to lateFormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Spoon:

Like posted above, use a block of wood and a hammer.

I would go with the block of wood, but would recommend using a 16-20 ounce rubber mallet rather than a hammer.
tebailey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2013 08:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If it's the axle seals, I used the pvc pipe method. Only mod I did was installed the pvc to the end of my bearing race installer. Worked great, but make sure you get them seated all the way in.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2013 09:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are the seals coated around the perimeter?
I normally have no trouble driving seals into hubs, etc.
One time, I got hold of a set of wheel bearing seals that had a coating on them. I could not get them to seat.
Used up my entire vocabulary and even made up a few. Scared the wife and the dogs. They. Would. Not. Go.
animal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2013 09:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for animalSend a Private Message to animalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Read your article and thank you. However, that's basically what I have been doing, but I'm afraid to really rap the seal with my small sledge. It really seems to be too large for the hub. I have already messed up one of the seals by beating on the flashlight. I just can't see it going in from the front all the way to the back side! Where can I get a tool made for driving these things in?

Originally posted by theogre:

axle seal?
See my Cave, Axle

animal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2013 09:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for animalSend a Private Message to animalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

animal

200 posts
Member since Jul 2005
That is exactly what I'm dealing with - I'm thinking of grinding the paint/coating off the seal and trying it that way.

Originally posted by Raydar:

Are the seals coated around the perimeter?
I normally have no trouble driving seals into hubs, etc.
One time, I got hold of a set of wheel bearing seals that had a coating on them. I could not get them to seat.
Used up my entire vocabulary and even made up a few. Scared the wife and the dogs. They. Would. Not. Go.

Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2013 11:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Instead of grinding on the seal, try using a hand file to make a small chamfer around the hole in the knuckle. That will help the seal seat into the knuckle. When I say "small", I mean about 1/32" deep.
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2013 08:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Blacktree:

Instead of grinding on the seal, try using a hand file to make a small chamfer around the hole in the knuckle. That will help the seal seat into the knuckle. When I say "small", I mean about 1/32" deep.

Or plumbers tape I think they call it, comes in a roll and looks like sandpaper in some brands and others look like a thin roll of scotch brite. but it should be clean in there where the seal was so unless you have the wrong seal it should go in without any problems. they do sell bearing install kits with steel inserts that go on a rod you hit with a hammer or without the rod and just hit the insert depending on the room you have that I have use before for installing seals.

http://www.harborfreight.co...river-set-95853.html

Some auto parts stores have a loan a tool program where you give them a deposit and when you bring the tool back they give you that back so it cost you nothing to use them.

Steve

[This message has been edited by 84fiero123 (edited 12-06-2013).]

PFF
System Bot
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2013 09:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by animal:

I just can't see it going in from the front all the way to the back side!

Maybe I am misreading.......

The hub goes on from the outboard side, the seal goes in from the inboard side........

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2013 11:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by animal:

That is exactly what I'm dealing with - I'm thinking of grinding the paint/coating off the seal and trying it that way.

I would just get some different seals that don't have the coating. I never could get my coated ones to work. Ended up beating them to hell trying to get them in.
And yeah... they go in from the back side of the knuckle.
katatak

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2013 03:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

Maybe I am misreading.......

The hub goes on from the outboard side, the seal goes in from the inboard side........

My thought as well - the seal goes in from the back side - not the front side!

And to add - the "cup" of the seal goes toward the trans - the flat side of the seal goes toward the hub / bearing / outside

[This message has been edited by katatak (edited 12-06-2013).]

animal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2013 03:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for animalSend a Private Message to animalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Blacktree:

Thanks to Blacktree's suggestion I got the seals in - and I knew which way they go in, that was never an issue. I used a dremmel instead of the file he suggested and just barely ground the lip to put just a hint of a chamfer on it - took about 30 seconds That allowed the seals (one coated and one uncoated) to sit evenly on the hub all the way around and they easily went straight in using a seal driver. Before I did that, they would not go in straight even using the seal driver - I couldn't seem to keep them flat in the opening until I ran the dremme quickly around the back edges of the knuckle.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock