Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  2.8L Distributor, stripped cap fastener threads, any fix?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
2.8L Distributor, stripped cap fastener threads, any fix? by hdryder
Started on: 11-30-2013 05:37 PM
Replies: 9 (1058 views)
Last post by: hdryder on 09-23-2014 08:00 PM
hdryder

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2013 05:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hdryderSend a Private Message to hdryderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a 2.8L distributor that has the cap fastener threads stripped out, so the cap will not hold down tight.
I friend of mine also had this problem a month or so ago, and he ended up buying a new distributor.

Is there any oversize self-tapping screw type fix available for this issue?

Thanks for the help.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
newfiejeff

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2013 06:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for newfiejeffSend a Private Message to newfiejeffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not sure if you can get heli coils to fix it or not.
rourke_87_T-Top

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2013 05:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rourke_87_T-TopSend a Private Message to rourke_87_T-TopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I replaced mine with " 8-32 x 3/4 " round socket head, machine screws. Take the cap off and chase the holes with these screws, in and back out a couple times. They are perfect.

No more loose distributor cap !

[This message has been edited by rourke_87_T-Top (edited 12-01-2013).]

oldbikeracer

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2013 11:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for oldbikeracerClick Here to visit oldbikeracer's HomePageSend a Private Message to oldbikeracerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rourke_87_T-Top:

I replaced mine with " 8-32 x 3/4 " round socket head, machine screws. Take the cap off and chase the holes with these screws, in and back out a couple times. They are perfect.

No more loose distributor cap !

I second this fix. I had to replace a stripped thread on my distributor cap hold down screws. I used the same screws for my repair. Get a tap and use it in the screw holes for good sharp threads. Remember, do not over tighten them when you install the distributor cap. The distributor base is thin and threads can be stripped easily.

hdryder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2013 11:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hdryderSend a Private Message to hdryderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you for the tip.

I am going to give that a try this morning.

[This message has been edited by hdryder (edited 12-01-2013).]

Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2013 01:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rourke_87_T-Top: I replaced mine with " 8-32 x 3/4 " round socket head, machine screws. Take the cap off and chase the holes with these screws, in and back out a couple times. They are perfect.

I had to do this once, too. But I used a thread tap. It turned out pretty well. Plus, the larger threads are less likely to strip out again.
hdryder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2013 01:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hdryderSend a Private Message to hdryderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The 8-32 seemed a bit large. I ended up using 6-32 and it has snugged down the cap fairly well. The 6-32 screw just barely made it through the hole in the cap.

Did you have to drill out the hole in the cap for the 8-32 screw to pass through?

I may have to go with the 8-32 in the future, if the 6-32 ends up not holding, but so far it looks like it may work.

Thanks for all the help.
Robert 2

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2013 10:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Robert 2Send a Private Message to Robert 2Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What i did
M4 x 0,7 mm tap .
Drill 3/32 or 2,5mm .
bolt round head hexagone M4x 0,7mm x 1inch or 25.40mm long
allen key 5mm .
Tap the plate and enlarge the hole in the cap so the bolt goes trough ( not much )
et voila . Next time you change the cap just enlarge the holes in it again .
Fit is perfect and it looks nice too .
You can skip the drill if you want .(not realy needed )

[This message has been edited by Robert 2 (edited 12-03-2013).]

Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2013 11:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hdryder: The 8-32 seemed a bit large. I ended up using 6-32 and it has snugged down the cap fairly well. The 6-32 screw just barely made it through the hole in the cap.

Actually, I think I used #6 screws also.
hdryder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2014 08:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hdryderSend a Private Message to hdryderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just finished a second cap screws repair on my '88 GT distributor.
This time I chased out the remainder of the old stripped threads on the base plate with the distributor out of the motor. Next I located the correct nuts for the screws that are captive on the distributor cap. The nut is a 3.5 mm with .60 pitch. They are not real common, but a specialty fastener shop should carry them. Then I put the cap on and put the 3.5 mm nuts on the under side of the distributor base plate after cleaning the area where the nuts would seat. Then I tightened the cap down, between the screws and the new nuts. Very carefully I then 'tacked' down the nuts with some J-B Weld, making sure I did not get any J-B Weld on the screw threads or between the cap and metal distributor housing.
It seems to be working so far, and after the J-B Weld is fully hardened, I will reinstall the distributor tomorrow.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock