I have a 2.8L distributor that has the cap fastener threads stripped out, so the cap will not hold down tight. I friend of mine also had this problem a month or so ago, and he ended up buying a new distributor.
Is there any oversize self-tapping screw type fix available for this issue?
I replaced mine with " 8-32 x 3/4 " round socket head, machine screws. Take the cap off and chase the holes with these screws, in and back out a couple times. They are perfect.
No more loose distributor cap !
I second this fix. I had to replace a stripped thread on my distributor cap hold down screws. I used the same screws for my repair. Get a tap and use it in the screw holes for good sharp threads. Remember, do not over tighten them when you install the distributor cap. The distributor base is thin and threads can be stripped easily.
Originally posted by rourke_87_T-Top: I replaced mine with " 8-32 x 3/4 " round socket head, machine screws. Take the cap off and chase the holes with these screws, in and back out a couple times. They are perfect.
I had to do this once, too. But I used a thread tap. It turned out pretty well. Plus, the larger threads are less likely to strip out again.
What i did M4 x 0,7 mm tap . Drill 3/32 or 2,5mm . bolt round head hexagone M4x 0,7mm x 1inch or 25.40mm long allen key 5mm . Tap the plate and enlarge the hole in the cap so the bolt goes trough ( not much ) et voila . Next time you change the cap just enlarge the holes in it again . Fit is perfect and it looks nice too . You can skip the drill if you want .(not realy needed )
[This message has been edited by Robert 2 (edited 12-03-2013).]
I just finished a second cap screws repair on my '88 GT distributor. This time I chased out the remainder of the old stripped threads on the base plate with the distributor out of the motor. Next I located the correct nuts for the screws that are captive on the distributor cap. The nut is a 3.5 mm with .60 pitch. They are not real common, but a specialty fastener shop should carry them. Then I put the cap on and put the 3.5 mm nuts on the under side of the distributor base plate after cleaning the area where the nuts would seat. Then I tightened the cap down, between the screws and the new nuts. Very carefully I then 'tacked' down the nuts with some J-B Weld, making sure I did not get any J-B Weld on the screw threads or between the cap and metal distributor housing. It seems to be working so far, and after the J-B Weld is fully hardened, I will reinstall the distributor tomorrow.