frame rail re-build by carsandbikes87
Started on: 11-23-2013 08:19 PM
Replies: 6 (845 views)
Last post by: Arns85GT on 11-24-2013 06:18 PM
carsandbikes87

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2013 08:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carsandbikes87Send a Private Message to carsandbikes87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I recently bought an 87 se for $500. It sat for 6 years, so I knew there was going to be problems, but I have a shop at my school that I can work on it in. once I got it on a lift and took the wheels off, I saw that both frame rails were rusted out, so I was just going to part it out, but after finding this forum I saw that people were re-building them. I asked my teacher if I should do it, but he said that if I were to be rear-ended the new frame rails wouldn't hold. what have your guys luck been with the re-builded rails? All try and post some pictures of it soon.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
NetCam

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2013 08:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NetCamClick Here to visit NetCam's HomePageSend a Private Message to NetCamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is a really good write-up of a guy who did a pretty amazing job of rebuilding his rails.
Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2013 08:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Post some pics so the damage can be assessed.

It's common to cut fiero's in half and stretch them without any real impact to the overall strength (when done properly). Any damage can be repaired if it's done properly.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2013 01:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by carsandbikes87:
I recently bought an 87 se for $500. It sat for 6 years, so I knew there was going to be problems, but I have a shop at my school that I can work on it in. once I got it on a lift and took the wheels off, I saw that both frame rails were rusted out, so I was just going to part it out, but after finding this forum I saw that people were re-building them. I asked my teacher if I should do it, but he said that if I were to be rear-ended the new frame rails wouldn't hold. what have your guys luck been with the re-builded rails? All try and post some pictures of it soon.

Yes picture help...

If the cradle or front cross-member... Replace them is better than fixing.

Car frame... Some here have done that... Sadly your teacher is correct in many cases. Many have no clue why most DIY frame fixes are often bad ideas.
Fix a bad area today only to rust, often fast, in other areas that looked ok for DIYers.
Many times Patches etc can cause many problems in a wreck. If welds and patches hold up... OE Frame was design to fail with "crush zones" to keep the cabin intact as much as possible. Patching often makes the frame stiffer/softer than design and car will lose safety in a wreck.

Carefully watch Fiero Crash tests. (Youtube search, Get download tool and watch locally) You can see some of crush zone in action when you watch frame by frame on the video. Front test wrecks totally trashes the front but keep cabin mostly intact.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2013 08:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RCR:

Depends what you're willing to do. It is quite fixable. My 84 (which saw Michigan winters) had a lot of sidewall damage in the trunk. But, from the strut towers forward, it was fine. As a matter of fact, the car has very little rust considering.

I just finished my rails...

Bob

I quoted this from another thread I posted in. As you can see, the repair can be done. For the passenger side shown, I used a frame rail from a donor vehicle, drill out all of the spot welds and swapped them. I also repaired the rusted trunk panels.

As Ogre mentions, there are safety considerations that you should keep in mind. But, if we all worried about that too much, we wouldn't be modifying our Fieros.

Bob

[This message has been edited by RCR (edited 11-24-2013).]

ltlfrari

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2013 11:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Upper frame rails are fixable.
Trunk etc - fixable
Cradle - replace
Lower frame rails - unless superficial (and you said rusted out so not superficial), personally I'd junk it.

------------------
Anything I might say is probably worth what you paid for it, so treat it accordingly!

Dave

www.ltlfrari.com

Arns85GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2013 06:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can buy a properly fabricated new set from Rubyredfiero.(check your member list) He lives in Canada near Detroit.

Arn

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock