TCC question: modifying lock. by AL87
Started on: 11-16-2013 04:31 PM
Replies: 7 (177 views)
Last post by: AL87 on 11-17-2013 09:35 PM
AL87

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2013 04:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AL87Send a Private Message to AL87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
the tcc isn't engaging the torque convertor at a low enough rpm.
either that or
the computer isn't engaging it when the throttle input is at cruising speed.

when driving the tcc only locks the torque convertor when applying throttle for acceleration.
not when cruising.
(I have to accelerate in order for the torque convertor to lock, if I let off the throttle from accelerating to cruise at my desired speed, it unlocks, and wont lock unless I accelerate.)
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2013 06:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's backwards of how it usually works. Any chance you have your 'lock' and 'unlock' mixed up? When locked the RPMs should drop. If you are at cruising speed steady throttle and you tap the brakes the TCC should unlock and then relock a bit later.
AL87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2013 10:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AL87Send a Private Message to AL87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't have them mixed up. the torque convertor wont lock at a cruising speed. and I have to be accelerating for it to lock.

its not locking early enough, like I said... its annoying... what controls when the torque convertor locks?
at least on the electrical side? I have the detent adjusted all the way one way to shift up at the lowest rpm possible already in case you needed to know that.
84fiero123

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2013 10:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
unplug it at the trany and see what happens, for some reason I seem to remember that some of the older mechanics I know say it will revert to its startup mode I think is what they said. I had to do that to a 99 Buick we gave our Kennel girl who helped Melanie clean the kennel. it ran great after that for her for years. I was at his shop one day to have it scanned and he saw that it was still plugged in and unplugged it and told me it would lock the converter up permanently if it was left plugged in. I think that was the 3800

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

[This message has been edited by 84fiero123 (edited 11-17-2013).]

87FieroSport

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2013 12:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87FieroSportSend a Private Message to 87FieroSportEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mine started locking up all the time, unplugged it and it runs so much better.
Installing a new solenoid soon.
Grantman

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2013 12:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GrantmanSend a Private Message to GrantmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Am I reading correctly? Unplug and leave unplugged and it works better? Not unplug and replug in so it can reset itself?
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2013 07:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
From what I remember of my automatic tranny, just cruising on level ground, or decelerating even slightly, would allow the TC to unlock. Accelerating just a bit, like hitting a *very* slight upgrade, would cause it to lock. Applying more throttle would cause it to unlock. Applying even more throttle would cause a downshift.
It sounds counter-intuitive, but if you're on level ground it only takes a few horsepower to keep moving. If the engine is in an "over-run" condition, the converter will unlock, to prevent the engine from revving higher and sucking more gas.
Try this... with the converter locked, tap the brake. Any activation of the brake should cause it to unlock.
AL87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2013 09:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AL87Send a Private Message to AL87Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
what I'm saying is that it wont lock when its supposed to at cruise. I have to be accelerating just a hair for it to lock like it should, and If I let off the throttle just a little bit to get back to a cruising speed, it will unlock.

I WANT THIS THING TO LOCK WHEN IT SHOULD, OR EARLIER THAN IT SHOULD...

does the tps have anything to do with it engaging or not?

ALSO, what wire do I splice into to put 12V to it to lock it on a switch?

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock